Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 08:02 AM

20 posts, read 45,972 times

Advertisements

Hi all....I had posted on this forum a few months ago regarding West New York apartment that my friend and I were looking at. We didn't take that one for various reasons.

However, we did find a place in Hackensack, which was one of the first places that kept popping up in our searches. From my research, most people seem to think Hackensack is a nice/safe area with little crime. Yet someone at work made it seem like it's horrible, and she mentioned Rutherford instead. Well, too late now, we move in a few weeks. Plus the places we came across in Rutherford were over our budget, which was 1400 - 1500ish a month. Small, so we're not going to have a lot of options. But now I'm wondering, is she right or maybe just jaded on certain areas that aren't perfect, or spoiled of her own neighborhoods?

The area seems nice enough to us, we've been there twice. It's close to the Essex Street train station. The landord we are renting from seems very nice, and honest. He told us the one thing he would warn us against is the schools for kids are not so great, but that's not a problem, we don't have kids and don't plan on it, especially not in the year that we plan to lease, lol.

Anyway just looking for some input, even though we're obviously moving there. Thoughts and places of interest are welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 08:35 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telefender View Post
Hi all....I had posted on this forum a few months ago regarding West New York apartment that my friend and I were looking at. We didn't take that one for various reasons.

However, we did find a place in Hackensack, which was one of the first places that kept popping up in our searches. From my research, most people seem to think Hackensack is a nice/safe area with little crime. Yet someone at work made it seem like it's horrible, and she mentioned Rutherford instead. Well, too late now, we move in a few weeks. Plus the places we came across in Rutherford were over our budget, which was 1400 - 1500ish a month. Small, so we're not going to have a lot of options. But now I'm wondering, is she right or maybe just jaded on certain areas that aren't perfect, or spoiled of her own neighborhoods?

The area seems nice enough to us, we've been there twice. It's close to the Essex Street train station. The landord we are renting from seems very nice, and honest. He told us the one thing he would warn us against is the schools for kids are not so great, but that's not a problem, we don't have kids and don't plan on it, especially not in the year that we plan to lease, lol.

Anyway just looking for some input, even though we're obviously moving there. Thoughts and places of interest are welcome!
You'll be fine in Hackensack. Hackensack does have some issues, and I think it's primarily because it's the seat of Bergen County, therefore, it's the place where all the services are available for the homeless and for other social ills. The courthouse and county jail are there, too., so yes, you are going to get a certain element in such a place. If you look at most county-seat towns, or state capitals for that matter, they seem to have the same issues.

That doesn't mean that all of Hackensack is some kind of wasteland. Plenty of normal working people who aren't criminals or drug addicts live there. A friend of mine used to have a nice apartment in one of high-rises. She was a single woman who had a single female roommate. They went to bars and restaurants in Hackensack and enjoyed living there. I would say use your own judgment--you think the area you are moving to is nice, and it probably is. Bear in mind that some people are easily scared and panic and would run the moment they see a homeless person or someone who is living on the lower end of society. Your co-worker might be one of those people.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:38 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Hackensack is a nice city , there is some section 8 housing near the Essex Street station but i haven't heard of any big issues with that in terms of crime. The City has all 3 wealth classes , Rich and Middle Class families live on the bluff , while Middle Class and Single people live below the bluff. The poorer class is very small and integrates itself within the middle class section. Since you don't plan on having kids Hackensack is a better choice then Rutherford in my opinion more shopping and retail options to choose from aswell as Transportation. Rutherford is ok , but can be dead on the weekend's and future wise doesn't look very promising...

Old 07-16-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You'll be fine in Hackensack. Hackensack does have some issues, and I think it's primarily because it's the seat of Bergen County, therefore, it's the place where all the services are available for the homeless and for other social ills. The courthouse and county jail are there, too., so yes, you are going to get a certain element in such a place. If you look at most county-seat towns, or state capitals for that matter, they seem to have the same issues.

That doesn't mean that all of Hackensack is some kind of wasteland. Plenty of normal working people who aren't criminals or drug addicts live there. A friend of mine used to have a nice apartment in one of high-rises. She was a single woman who had a single female roommate. They went to bars and restaurants in Hackensack and enjoyed living there. I would say use your own judgment--you think the area you are moving to is nice, and it probably is. Bear in mind that some people are easily scared and panic and would run the moment they see a homeless person or someone who is living on the lower end of society. Your co-worker might be one of those people.
Thank you! Yeah, that's kind of what she said about the courts. I believe we are near the court buildings too, but I don't plan to walk around there at night. I see the route to the train station and that looks fine, walkable, or there are lots by the train too. We are both two single females as well. We'd love to go out and check out the places in the area, but of course, we will gauge with caution until we know the surroundings better.

I have only lived in Brooklyn where I grew up, and now here in central NJ suburbs. However, I work in Hoboken, and have been hanging out in all sorts of areas NYC all my life. So homeless people and sketchy looking areas are not strange to me. I would always use caution no matter what area I tend to be in. And the building itself is safe, we have keypad entrance, a garage with a gate as well. All of this will come in handy at night if we come home in the later hours.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Hackensack is a nice city , there is some section 8 housing near the Essex Street station but i haven't heard of any big issues with that in terms of crime. The City has all 3 wealth classes , Rich and Middle Class families live on the bluff , while Middle Class and Single people live below the bluff. The poorer class is very small and integrates itself within the middle class section. Since you don't plan on having kids Hackensack is a better choice then Rutherford in my opinion more shopping and retail options to choose from aswell as Transportation. Rutherford is ok , but can be dead on the weekend's and future wise doesn't look very promising...
Exactly , that's my point too. Section 8, and/or affordable housing does not mean crime ridden.

And yes, we are two single women, don't plan to have kids, so that's not an issue.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:30 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
The reason the town gets a bad rap is that the schools are fairly terrible, the town is physically kind of ugly in a lot of places, it compares poorly to the rest of the county, and the small unfortunate element you see mentioned above.

With all that negative stuff said and out of the way, while it isn't a good place to raise a family there is absolutely nothing wrong with renting there. That ugly downtown includes more things to do and more good restaurants than you'd have quick access to in the vast bulk of suburbs, the town is very well placed from a transit perspective, and if you don't live near the well-contained bleh areas or use the schools their existence won't impact you. Can't argue with the price either -- all the stuff that drives off middle-class families makes the rent more reasonable for single/childless people who can take advantage of the locations/stores/location/restaurants/location without really suffering much from the downsides.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:43 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telefender View Post
Thank you! Yeah, that's kind of what she said about the courts. I believe we are near the court buildings too, but I don't plan to walk around there at night. I see the route to the train station and that looks fine, walkable, or there are lots by the train too. We are both two single females as well. We'd love to go out and check out the places in the area, but of course, we will gauge with caution until we know the surroundings better.

I have only lived in Brooklyn where I grew up, and now here in central NJ suburbs. However, I work in Hoboken, and have been hanging out in all sorts of areas NYC all my life. So homeless people and sketchy looking areas are not strange to me. I would always use caution no matter what area I tend to be in. And the building itself is safe, we have keypad entrance, a garage with a gate as well. All of this will come in handy at night if we come home in the later hours.
Sounds as if you'll be fine. Good luck in the new place!!!!

Old 08-19-2011, 03:12 PM

Just wanted to give an update. My friend and I have been in our new place for a few weeks already. So far, so good. The area seems fairly safe, and friendly to me.

I have walked to the Essex Street train many times, no issues. But I've read bad reviews about doing that on this board. I'm assuming at night it gets sketchy? I see lots of younger, working class, maybe bordering on some yuppie-ish type on the train. All fine by me.

Also, my friend and I have walked to Main street a few times, hit a local Irish pub. Again, most people seem friendly, or at the very least keep to themselves. Overall too, even just walking to the train in the morning, people say hello or good morning, despite what ethnicity or level of working class they seem to be.

However, I do tend to go on the side of caution all the time. So, am I being naive and not seeing things around me? Or does this area get a bad rep? I would always be extra cautious at night, of course. Just wondering if I'm being too naive or something.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:38 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
It's Bergen County.......................... You'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey