Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 04:56 PM

792 posts, read 3,136,508 times

Advertisements

Anyone (or anyone u know) been stopped while driving/talking on cell?

If so did the officer do the following:
1. Let you off the hook 100%
2. Reduce violation to lesser charge (i.e. no seatbelt for about $46)
3. Give you the full ticket (for about $130)
4. Other

I got hit w/#3 and in my own hometown to boot. Cop had no leniency at all. I mean as a resident I pay their outrageous salary/pension/perks and you'd think he'd drop it to #2 for a resident. The way it all went down I had no time to "name drop" at all. I could have maybe tried to talk my way out but cop was on a mission it seemed.

For anyone who got hit w/#3 have you tried to go to traffic court and fight it?

Feedback, comments?

Last edited by Spincycle; 10-08-2008 at 05:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 04:58 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,162,707 times
Pay the ticket and get a hands free device...

Old 10-08-2008, 05:00 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times
I got one this summer as well. The ticket was $130. This was in Jersey City. So watch out in Hudson County as well.

I didn't even bother to fight it because I knew I wouldn't win.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:06 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Why do you think that because you violated the state law in your own town that you should get a break? If you'd hit and killed someone would they be less dead if it happened in your own town?

Old 10-08-2008, 05:07 PM

Oh - and to answer the question - my husband was stopped, but it was up here on Long Island. All it took was that one ticket and we now both have hands free devices in our cars that operate via bluetooth over through the radio system. it's not very expensive to invest in.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:16 PM

792 posts, read 3,136,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
Pay the ticket and get a hands free device...
Add in a PBA card and sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I didn't even bother to fight it because I knew I wouldn't win.
They say "you can't fight City Hall."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Why do you think that because you violated the state law in your own town that you should get a break?
Because the officers in my town have let people they know off the hook very easily and also have been a bit more lenient on city residents (versus out of city) in the past (from past experiences and conversations with residents, business owners, teachers, and firemen in my city).

Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
All it took was that one ticket and we now both have hands free devices in our cars that operate via bluetooth over through the radio system. it's not very expensive to invest in.
Any weblinks to such devices (e.g. ones for Moto Razr) appreciated.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:21 PM

370 posts, read 1,369,737 times
I hate when people talk on their cell phone and drive. It is become out of control. Now people are even texting while driving. I have seen a number of accidents or near misses as well as tons of bad driving all while people are on the phone. The worst was a young woman screaming on the phone next to me at a light who didn't noticed the delayed Green sign. When the other side got a green light she hits the gas and slams into the side of a van with 2 young children.

To answer your question I know 3 people who were pulled over talking on the phone and got the full ticket. They did not fight it - why would they? What would you say in court when you were cought on the phone?

Old 10-08-2008, 05:33 PM

Here is one - this is supposed to be a good unit:

Parrot MK6100 - Bluetooth® Hands-Free Car Kit with super thin display and 2 integrated microphones (http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/hands-free-car-kits/parrot-mk6100 - broken link)

Here is an example of a car stereo that already has it integrated:

Bluetooth CD Deck/MP3 Car Stereo with SD Card, USB, 3.5mm Aux Inputs - SW-7398, $164.95

If you go to your local circuit city or best buy, they will likely have something on display that you can take a look at. Good luck

Old 10-08-2008, 05:49 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
I have a Parrot CK3000 Evolution in one of my cars and it works great.

Advanced Bluetooth® Car Kit - Parrot CK3000 Evolution

Old 10-08-2008, 07:32 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,111 times
Yup! Got a ticket last spring. My bluetooth was being replaced under warranty. I had a 30 second phone conversation with my brother at 10 am on a Saturday Morning in a very small shore town.

The cop asked me if I knew why he pulled me over. I said the cell phone. He went to his car. Came back with the ticket and told me that he had clocked me doing 35 in a 25....and that since I didn't have any points he wasn't going to ticket me for the moving violation. $130 for the cell phone though.

I've been driving for almost 25 years. This is the second ticket I've ever gotten. The first one was at midnight, coming home from work in a shore town in the middle of winter doing 34 in a 25.

It stinks. I broke the law. If I'd been eating a hamburger and playing with a GPS I'd have been ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey