Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:49 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,267,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Not to be crass... but it's pretty hard to be partying when your family needs you. At least it SHOULD be. There is still time to enjoy and party and have fun. You don't have to be home 24/7. OP - you did not say how old your sister is? If the family needs help BOTH should share in that responsibility. It seems to me, from reading the post, OP has made up his mind. I don't know, I'm all about being responsible to those you love.

Again, in HR since '92.... NEVER have I (or any of my colleagues) given more cred to a Rutgers NB degree compared to a Rutgers Newark. (Yale to either Rutgers, perhaps... and if it's me deciding, you may do better to be from Rutgers... but that is just me. )
If you have been doing HR since the early nineties, then you *should* be aware that it is much more difficult to get into Rutgers New Brunswick than Rutgers Newark.

Look at the rankings, and look at the schools that are ranked similarly to Rutgers - Newark. Polytechnic Institute of NY, and SUNY-Albany. RU-Newark is a Tier 3 School. Now look at the schools that RUTGERS- New Brunswick is ranked adjacently to. Fordham and GWU. Rutgers New Brunswick is a TIER 1 school.

Wouldn't you give a Tier 1 university graduate more credit than a Tier 3 grad? C'mon EEEPNJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 09:01 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,359,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
If you have been doing HR since the early nineties, then you *should* be aware that it is much more difficult to get into Rutgers New Brunswick than Rutgers Newark.

Look at the rankings, and look at the schools that are ranked similarly to Rutgers - Newark. Polytechnic Institute of NY, and SUNY-Albany. RU-Newark is a Tier 3 School. Now look at the schools that RUTGERS- New Brunswick is ranked adjacently to. Fordham and GWU. Rutgers New Brunswick is a TIER 1 school.

Wouldn't you give a Tier 1 university graduate more credit than a Tier 3 grad? C'mon EEEPNJ.
While I see where you're coming from. MOST employers don't care where you graduated from, so long as you have that diploma saying you graduated (or graduated with so-and-so degree)

Old 10-15-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
While I see where you're coming from. MOST employers don't care where you graduated from, so long as you have that diploma saying you graduated (or graduated with so-and-so degree)
Really, really, really depends on the industry. I don't know what industry the company that EEPNJ works in HR for.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:57 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,012 times
Quote:

I HAVE been in HR since the early 90's and I can tell you, very honestly, that many recruiters are sick of spoiled brats and frat boys that walk into the "real" world with very screwed up expectations. They like to see a lot more than "what school you went to" and will give a lot more cred to some students at "lesser" schools who are more "real world." I can not TELL you how many of my colleagues think the same way. I have a friend who is a partner in a top architectural firm in NYC and she tells me ad nauseum that she would rather hire an NYIT grad than a "big name" school any day. They come in hungry and ready to work. The guys from the Ivies come in wondering why they are not in a better office day 1. Another coleague is director of HR for a major food company and was just counseling a friend about her child's college choice. She said "Truth be told, unless they are going to Harvard, Yale or Princeton, it just does not matter."

Clearly I'm not saying rush your child off to Hudson County Community College and call it a day - but I'm telling you what I see, for 16 years, in the REAL WORLD. AND your college degree will only "matter" for a short time... then we want to see your WORK history. Trust me, I DO know a thing or two about this.

On another note. I want to know what Bible it was written in that everyone MUST HAVE the "College Experience." Just an FYI the percentages of American's going to college now has increased drastically (WSJ even has had an article saying "TOO many" are). In the past, it was not as common AND going away was very uncommon and elitist.

The OP was asking for advice, and I offered it. Trust me, it will not hurt future career prospects if he goes to Rutgers Newark. And it may only be my opinon (although I doubt it is) but there is MORE to life than being selfish. Living with knowing you were not there when your family needs you goes on a whole lot longer than a few years acting living in a frat. Again, in HR...so I"m aware of the amount of people in therapy too!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Really, really, really depends on the industry. I don't know what industry the company that EEPNJ works in HR for.
I'd like to know what industry YOU are in Tommy - because with the exception of some very specialized technical fields (OP is a business major, does not count) it REALLY does not matter. Not at all....

Another 411...WELL ROUNDED individuals go further in interviews too.

Remember in HS when they said "be in extra curricular activities, volunteer" I have a friend whose daughter was rejected by Harvard (better than Rutgers, BTW) because she was ALL academics. ALL. Brilliant girl, nothing below an A ever, every AP offered... but nothing else and they turned her down.

Employers see that too. And we can see a whole lot on the interview and application - we go more by who we feel will be the best person for the job and better character, etc... not by school alone.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:14 AM

EEEPNJ,

Of COURSE extra curricular activities matter, and interviewing skills, etc, etc, etc. My argument is that A) Rutgers - NB is much harder to get into than Rutgers - Newark, and B) The education at Rutgers - NB is at a much higher caliber than Rutgers - Newark. To argue that is silly, because these are not opinions, but rather facts.

You interview 2 candidates. EVERYTHING is equal...equally awesome personalities, equal levels of motivation, equal level of extra curricular activities, equal level of internships and experience. Everything is identical, but the only difference is one graduated from Rutgers - New Brunswick (Tier 1 university, noted by many as a public ivy) and the second candidate graduated from Rutgers - Newark (a Tier 3 school).

Are you telling me that (all other things being equal), that the Rutgers- NB graduate is not the more desirable candidate for the job?

Please pass me what you got in that pipe!

Old 10-15-2008, 10:15 AM

Dear God, we've hijacked this poor kids thread Sorry to the OP

Old 10-15-2008, 10:19 AM

Exactly - and let's leave it as is because OP is making a choice based on some hard realities his living with. I'd just like to assure him his future career path will be A-OK if he goes to Rutgers and has the good heart to want to help his family.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Exactly - and let's leave it as is because OP is making a choice based on some hard realities his living with. I'd just like to assure him his future career path will be A-OK if he goes to Rutgers and has the good heart to want to help his family.
Agreed, but can you at least answer my hypothetical question?

Old 10-15-2008, 10:24 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,005 times
Quote:
Agreed, but can you at least answer my hypothetical question?
Something tells me that you're single. Otherwise you'd know....there's no point in arguing w/ a woman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey