Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2008, 09:17 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Honestly? Either one works for me in this thread.

Admittedly, my prejudices lean towards images, behaviors and attitudes that may be in conflict with the values that my wife and I try to live by and choose to instill in our son.

Off the top of my head, I'm more attentive to so-called appearances and/or attitudes. Ethnicity or skin color mean little to me other than watching something about it on the History Channel.
The distinction is of paramount importance; prejudice signifies a premature judging and devaluing of a group of people, something that has hindered and will ultimately destroy this society if continued.

As someone whose family has dealt with these things, and who has personally dealt with prejudice and racism, I can't afford to be so cavalier about these topics.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:12 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
There are a lot of misconceptions about the "South". History is just that.... HISTORY. It is not the present. I live and work in the south. I am neither black nor white and thus a minority and do not feel uncomfortable at all. My first job was an analyst in a manufacturing facility made up of 800 southern male employees. There were only about 40 women in the facility and 80% of the men were blue collar workers to give you an idea of the atmosphere there. It was the friendliest place I had ever worked in my life. When you walked into the cafeteria, you saw some tables were all black and some were all white and some were mixed. There was never a feeling un uncomforableness or anthing of the kind.

If you know anything at all about the south, you would also know that people down here are much more religous than up north. There's a church on every corner, you will find no obscene billboards anywhere and I'd be shocked if every person you came accross didn't call you sir even if you were colored purple and orange.

I grew up in Kendall Park, NJ where once my sister went to the supermarket and parked poorly only to get shouted racial slurrs by a white man. Does this mean that all NJ is full of ignorant, racist, bigots???? No? What do you mean? But, I don't feel comfortable there. I had a bad experience. Well, get over yourself. It happens everywhere. That doesn't mean that the whole region is tainted.
I see your point, but the truth is if your state is religous and a red/conservative state, people going to view its as a prejudice or racist state. I know that all 50 states have racist/prejudice people, but religous and red/conservative states are on average more prejudice than a blue/liberal state. Have you ever notice that the most racist/prejudice people claim to be Christians or religous? The problem with states like Mississippi and Alabama is that these states are too religous or conservative/red.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:27 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,950,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I see your point, but the truth is if your state is religous and a red/conservative state, people going to view its as a prejudice or racist state. I know that all 50 states have racist/prejudice people, but religous and red/conservative states are on average more prejudice than a blue/liberal state. Have you ever notice that the most racist/prejudice people claim to be Christians or religous? The problem with states like Mississippi and Alabama is that these states are too religous or conservative/red.
You are correct!
Christianity has been hijacked in the US to be something completely opposite of what it was intended to be in the past few decades.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:27 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
in an effort to keep to the facts do you have some actual hardfacts to back that up...ie. as in a couple of unbiased studies that support that claim....OR...
Is that just YOUR own prejudice showing thru . Hmmm ???

Old 10-26-2008, 02:35 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
There is no way to measure that. Red, blue or whatever. You can not know. You would have to break it down to specific groups of people.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:48 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,702 times
Thank you for stating the obvious............

..what one considers to be an opinion based upon observation is viewed by others as a bias or prejudice.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:16 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
in an effort to keep to the facts do you have some actual hardfacts to back that up...ie. as in a couple of unbiased studies that support that claim....OR...
Is that just YOUR own prejudice showing thru . Hmmm ???

My support for this is looking back in history. You have to admit that some conservative/religous people are racist/prejudice and still claim to be Christians. You can look at the election on how some conservative/religous people are acting towards Barack Obama and Arab/muslim people. Look at how those conservative/religous people insulting Obama and Arab/Muslim people during John Mccain rallies in Ohio and Florida.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 10-26-2008 at 03:31 PM..

Old 10-26-2008, 03:26 PM

179 posts, read 706,361 times
Default Is Diversity a Bad Thing

The original question was, "Is diversity a bad thing?". The answer is:

Yes, when it is shoved down your throat!

Old 10-26-2008, 05:41 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Older&Wiser View Post
The original question was, "Is diversity a bad thing?". The answer is:

Yes, when it is shoved down your throat!
Could you elaborate about how it is 'shoved down your throat'?

It just sounds odd to me. I mean, no one is forcing you at gun-point to be around other people at all...

Old 10-26-2008, 05:48 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,950,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Could you elaborate about how it is 'shoved down your throat'?

It just sounds odd to me. I mean, no one is forcing you at gun-point to be around other people at all...
And since people seem to think, by and large on this board, that it is a BAD thing...I guess the opposite is true and that would make segregation a good thing? If so, that's pretty damn scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey