Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:38 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
The "Red" vs "Blue" paradigm is overrated. Rather than label an entire state "red" or "blue", you'd be better served looking at county data. For instance, Morris County and Hunterdon County NJ are "red" counties, having voted twice for Bush in successive presidential elections. Starr County Texas is a border county in the Rio Grande Valley. It is for all intents and purposes, a third world society. It voted 90% for Kerry in 2004.

Would you rather live in Morris County NJ (in a "blue" state) or Starr County Tx (in a "red" state)? I think we all know the answer.
I'd rather be in the Blue State.

Let's face it - the US is really 50 little nations within one - I'd rather be in one more in line with what I'd like it to be.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:40 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
The reason why people get upset is that it lowers their property value.
Oh, Tommy.... You know, stranger things have happened....

After battling a lot MPB and I are "friends" now.

But Tommy... I am speechless... and it doesn't happen often.

Now, what if these horrible property value lowering folks were from RU NB?

Old 10-16-2008, 12:47 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
....... I'd rather be in one more in line with what I'd like it to be.
So would I. I think that's true with a great majority of people around the globe.

Which further indicates most people's lack of interest or desire for real diversity in their lives.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:48 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,058,986 times
OK, I guess I'm the exception.... I did move from NJ to the south 4 years ago and NO, it's not unfriendly or racist. It's not "hostile to minorities" or anything else you guys have mentioned here. Your ignorance of the southern states or "Red States" as you like to call them is just as absurd as the ignorance that fuels racism itself. You'll find more prejudice in some parts of Brooklyn than you'll find in most parts of the South.

Yes, there are always exceptions, so you'll hear about things now and then, but for the most part it's just a nicer place to live with a lot less hostility, friendlier people and much nicer weather... Oh, and it's much more affordable.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:52 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
......Let me ask: Are you implying that people like me are hypocrites? I don't see how you can say that.
Nope. I don't know you well enough to even come close to accusing you of anything negative.

However, I do believe that those that talk the most and the loudest about their "tolerance", "morals" or "open mindedness", aren't neccessarily so.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:

OH NO... YOU DIDN'T.... He'll start getting them to chime in too! LOL

Old 10-16-2008, 12:53 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Quote:

Dear Little Miss Sensitive:

Read my post...I wrote that the reason people get upset is that it lowers their property value. Those are not my sentiments, but rather the sentiments of people who own houses in the suburbs.

I have never owned property in the suburbs. I live in the city surrounded by people with idealistic worldviews similar to yours. So where I live, it doesn't affect the value of my house because I live in a city.

But for people who do own suburban property, when minorities move into the nabe, it does affect property value. Is it wrong? Yep. But it's the way it is, and always has been, in the "white suburbs".

The difference between you and I is realism versus idealism.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:56 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
OK, I guess I'm the exception.... I did move from NJ to the south 4 years ago and NO, it's not unfriendly or racist. It's not "hostile to minorities" or anything else you guys have mentioned here. Your ignorance of the southern states or "Red States" as you like to call them is just as absurd as the ignorance that fuels racism itself. You'll find more prejudice in some parts of Brooklyn than you'll find in most parts of the South.

Yes, there are always exceptions, so you'll hear about things now and then, but for the most part it's just a nicer place to live with a lot less hostility, friendlier people and much nicer weather... Oh, and it's much more affordable.
There's a racist and a bigot on every street corner in all 50 states of this country, and it will always be that way. It's multispectral: everyone is guilty to a degree, on every order of creed, race, etc. And there's really nothing one can do about it, short of living their lives in the best way they know how, ignore, and rise above it.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:59 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Nope. I don't know you well enough to even come close to accusing you of anything negative.

However, I do believe that those that talk the most and the loudest about their "tolerance", "morals" or "open mindedness", aren't neccessarily so.
doc1 is spot on.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
There's a racist and a bigot on every street corner in all 50 states of this country, and it will always be that way. It's multispectral: everyone is guilty to a degree, on every order of creed, race, etc. And there's really nothing one can do about it, short of living their lives in the best way they know how, ignore, and rise above it.
Exactly my point. The so called "Red States" are not full of bigots. I was just clearing the record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey