Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 03:21 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane giam View Post
it's nice to not only be friendly with people that have your views. That would make life boring.

Diane g
+1

Old 10-16-2008, 04:21 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Oh, Tommy.... You know, stranger things have happened....

After battling a lot MPB and I are "friends" now.

But Tommy... I am speechless... and it doesn't happen often.

Now, what if these horrible property value lowering folks were from RU NB?
We are??? LOL

Anyway, I'm totally against diversity, just for the sake of diversity.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:28 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
I agree it would make life boring. It is a non-issue for me. I am not in environments with the like minded the majority of the time and it has not been a problem.

I don't believe that all of America should be like the "coasts". I think they should retain some of their history and culture. The east/west, right/left, conservative/liberal, red/blue mindset is not representative of all America. Most people fall in between and I think there is good reason for that at this point in time. History will dictate whether or not I am right about that. We are entering a different time and people will wake up and maybe have to make some major personal changes (like never before in their lifetimes). This could change many people's views regardless of region.

As far as the south goes, I have issues to be sure. I don't want it to go away. I just don't want to live there. Meaning the Carolinas. I have had it shoved down my throat for more than 30 years. The only blood family I have lives there. I have been told many times that I just don't get southern culture and I think it is probably true. I don't have an appreciation for it and identify with the parts of it that were negative for me. It is my bias but many people on these forums have a perspective on the south that seems like a fantasy. With natives and transplants I have noticed this- though the lens they see it through is different.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:51 PM

Everyone has their prejudices but I don't believe in the concept of reverse racism. Not while we have continual institutional racism in this country.
A black person in the south (transplant or native) will see it differently than I will ever see it there. That can't be changed.

Most of us see the huge middle class down there, the long established communities, real integration, comfortable life style, etc. - we think everything must be fabulous - hardly any ghetto there.
Even "down there" where things are good- there is a bigger picture. We can try to clean our lens but our view is still cloudy for lots of reasons.

I recently visited the Blue Carolina website and some of those people think they live in a liberal oasis. They think that all the new arrivals are making their state "more progressive". With the election coming, there is lots of buzz. Their part of the world is becoming less conservative but they are fooling themselves into believing that these transplants are progressive in their thinking. Most of them are likely moderate to conservative in their views and moved to their state looking for inexpensive housing. It's seems that this has never occurred to most of them. I find that odd but it really shouldn't surprise me.

I should add that I am not quite conservative but have no problem with most of that.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:18 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,779 times
Diversity is the reason why NJ is expensive

Old 10-16-2008, 05:20 PM

What magic cap did you pull that one out of?

Old 10-16-2008, 05:26 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Diversity is the reason why NJ is expensive
I'm thinking this statement smells of overt racism.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:29 PM

Even if it didn't- the lack of ability to articulate makes that post seem idiotic.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:30 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Really "diversity" is life and the choices that come with it. Meaning that it allows for opportunities for people to use resources available to them. That could be human, economic, cultural, naturals and so on. So, people are actually "diverse" naturally.

Some might look at it in a narrow sense, like race, ethnicity, gender or culture, but it really is more than that. I think people are finally starting to understand that too.

Also, when people speak in the "narrow" sense, I think the term pluralism is better.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:53 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,779 times
why is my post racist?

if you think about it diversity is selling point for real estate

everyone wants to live in diverse nabes, so their kids can grow up with exposure to different cultures and what not

that in turns makes real estate more expensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey