Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 10:55 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,275,100 times

Advertisements

Guys, my home computer, which is rather old, is having some problems. When I turn the CPU on, it turns off shortly after loading up. In fact, sometimes it doesn't even get past the Windows screen...

Anybody good with this stuff? Do I need a new power cord? Power center?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 11:41 AM

526 posts, read 1,392,147 times
Probably is the power supply going bad, could be the machine is over heating as well probably is full of dust. I would lean to the power supply. If that is the case, just get a new PC, it is not worth your time or even $75 to fix the PC if it is over 3 years old.

good luck.

Jim

Old 10-03-2008, 12:12 PM

83 posts, read 279,263 times
Default Possible computer solution....

One thing that it _could_ be that can be easily overlooked, and this has plagued my own computer for a while....

The CPU cooling fan! Have a look at it while it is running. Is the fan laboring or stuck? if so, that is a likely culpret. If the CPU gets too hot (i.e. is not cooled enough or fast enough, it shuts down automaticly). If it is full of dust, try blowing it out with compressed air. If you have a replacement cooling fan, try that. Or just go buy one.... they are fairly cheap, if it looks like your current one is seemingly sick.

If that isnt the prob.... I think that the power supply suggestion sounds like a possibility, however cheap, vanilla power supplies can be found at your local Tiger Direct Outlet or equivilant for maybe $20-25 or so. You be the judge if it is worth it.

diogenesNY

Old 10-03-2008, 12:24 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,164,945 times
It might even just need the 25000 mile windows reinstall.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:29 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,275,100 times
What is Tiger Direct Outlet?

The issue is, I have LOTS of data on there that I NEED...and I cannot get it!!

Any way of extracting data without having the computer turned on?

Old 10-03-2008, 12:42 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post

Gotta pull the hard drive and stick it in a new machine- that's the easiest solution if it turns out to be more than just the power supply.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:15 PM

23,873 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:

If you can meet my hubby in the port, I'll get your stuff off of the drive for you. I build computers as a hobby.

Quote:
Guys, my home computer, which is rather old, is having some problems. When I turn the CPU on, it turns off shortly after loading up. In fact, sometimes it doesn't even get past the Windows screen...

Anybody good with this stuff? Do I need a new power cord? Power center?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!
It can be anything from a bad power supply to something as simple as a dust build up or my guess is the thermal paste needs to be replaced.

If you post the specs (brand & model number) I can give you an idea of whether it is worth it or not to even think to spend money on it. If it takes a propriety power supply, you're screwed and can end up blowing the mother board if you don't know what you are doing.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:25 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,047,832 times
This happened to me once and the computer eventually gave out and I lost a lot of info. Start backing up files now just in case.

Take it to a service place and have them back it up for you. I know that TEkserve in NYC is pretty reasonable. I'm not sure if they work on PCs but last year They backed up all my stuff for me and put it in a small unit(forgot the name) and cost aoubt $90.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:27 PM

23,873 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
This happened to me once and the computer eventually gave out and I lost a lot of info. Start backing up files now just in case.
All well and good if the computer ran.

My advice is to NOT do anything to it right now.
You may end up doing more damage if you try pushing the button to start it.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:28 PM

83 posts, read 279,263 times
Default Don't Panic

Just to be a bit repetative.... Before you consider tossing it or taking other drastic action, open it up, blow out the dust, and check to see that the cooling fan is 1) attached, and 2) working.... that is an oft overlooked cause of CPU shutdown.

BTW, TigerDirect is an outlet for computers and parts.... both mail order and big warehouse type shops in malls. Often times good prices on lots of stuff.

TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Components & Electronics

My first source for things like power supplies, cooling fans, compressed air, etc.

diogenesNY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey