Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 03:38 PM

181 posts, read 635,554 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am in the process of trying to buy a house - I should be 2 weeks from closing. BUT, I am getting quoted at 6.75%!! Yesterday I was told it was 7%!!

Has anyone any suggestions? I'm a first time buyer and really what I should have done is locked in earlier, but I did not know that mortgage brokers could take a cut from you out of the interest rate, which I fear may be being done here.

Any suggestions??

P.S if I went with my credit union, they would want a $3,000 loan application fee!!!

Last edited by Gessa; 10-16-2008 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: p.s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 04:08 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gessa View Post
Hi Guys and Gals,

I am in the process of trying to buy a house - I should be 2 weeks from closing. BUT, I am getting quoted at 6.75%!! Yesterday I was told it was 7%!!

Has anyone any suggestions? I'm a first time buyer and really what I should have done is locked in earlier, but I did not know that mortgage brokers could take a cut from you out of the interest rate, which I fear may be being done here.

Any suggestions??

P.S if I went with my credit union, they would want a $3,000 loan application fee!!!
Have you tried going directly to the banks ?

Old 10-16-2008, 04:16 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gessa View Post
Hi Guys and Gals,

Any suggestions??

Also just in case you don't know about this

Tax Credit to Aid First-Time Homebuyers; Must Be Repaid Over 15 Years

Old 10-16-2008, 04:33 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
Man. 2 weeks from closing and you do not have your loan straightened. Who is your bank. Are you locked in? I do not know that , in this economy you are going to be able to setup and close a loan in 2 weeks. How is your credit and down payment?

Old 10-16-2008, 05:02 PM

181 posts, read 635,554 times
credit is 643. I'm just waiting for approval. As a down payment as its a FHA its 3%. Banks - well the credit is only 643..

Help__

Old 10-16-2008, 07:12 PM

208 posts, read 853,119 times
I can give you my mortgage guy's info if you need. He's great and will see what he can do to help. Rates did shoot up quite a bit the other day, but they could be down tomorrow. Your credit score isn't that big an influence with FHA. DM me if you want his info.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:02 PM

88 posts, read 424,213 times
It may depend on which program they have you in. Sometimes it's better to go conventional since you're putting 3% down anyway.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:18 AM

138 posts, read 610,567 times
We closed in June with an FHA mortgage - interest rate 6.5%. I don't know if you can get a conventional mtg with only 3% down these days. The higher interest rate is perhaps the price to pay if you can't put a lot down (like us).

Old 10-17-2008, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 19,041 times
Default FHA Questions

Hi my name is Maya and I was trying to look for some specific info. when I stumbled onto this topic. I am a Mortgage Broker and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:29 PM

392 posts, read 1,539,416 times
Rates just went up this week a lot. If you are so close to closing, I assume you have selected a lender and are processing. See if they have an option to cap a rate (so it can't go up) and see if they come down. The 10 year bond was up Friday so I'd expect to see some decreases on Monday. Good luck.

CnnMoney: Mortgage Rates Post Increase
October 16, 2008: 07:56 AM EST
Mortgage rates posted the biggest one week increase since April 1987, soaring as credit fears reached a fever pitch. In addition, yields on benchmark 10-year Treasury notes climbed as investors worried about the additional supply of government debt resulting from billions of dollars in various rescue packages. Mortgage rates move in relation to Treasury yields, but at a spread -- or markup -- over the risk-free government debt. The intensifying credit crunch and the government guarantees on bank debt drove up the spread between mortgage bonds and benchmark Treasuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey