Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 03:01 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Such overt hostility! Take a Paxil and relax a bit. All my pets think I'm wonderful and so do my friends and neighbors. I'm one of those people who is hoping to turn my state blue! You obviously read too much into my and other posters' remarks!
Hey I'm not the one trying reenact the opening lines to "Folsom Prison Blues" here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 03:06 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Unfortunately, here in South Jersey we don't get news from up there like you guys do.

The thing everyone needs to remember is the little girl that lost her life and the boy fighting for his life as a result of this.

I'm seeing a bunch of news stories online, most say the same thing, the guy who owned the car was chasing the thief and that it's unclear how close the cops actually came to the car and if they were even near the scene.

In hindsight I don't doubt that the owner would change what he did but he can't, so maybe we all can learn a lesson from this. As was said, it's a car which can be replaced. I don't doubt the owner did not have theft on it, so he's seeing his car going down the road and not having insurance to cover it. These are tough times, most people are hurting; he probably couldn't afford to replace the car if it isn't insured for theft and was probably so caught up with rage or whatever (think how stupid he felt for leaving the keys in it) that someone getting hurt was the farthest from his mind.

Honestly, if someone stole my car in front of my face like that, I would probably do the same thing but not at high speeds especially in traffic.

We will know more about the truth once the investigation is done & if it's the fault of the police then they should get punished. If the owner is also found to have caused this, perhaps he should be charged with something (I don't know what other then stupidity) as well.

My heart goes out to the families, even more so with the internet these days and being able to watch videos of it. I hope for their sakes that someone is charged. While it won't bring their daughter back, they will know that this has been taken seriously.

FWIW, I just read that he's been taken to a psychiatric hospital and was supposed to go to court today but isn't fit to stand trial.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:02 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times
Great post Roselvr...but if that ever happens - remember YOUR life (as well as that of others) is NEVER worth your car or anything else. THINGS are always replaceable.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:29 PM

792 posts, read 3,136,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
This seems to be a VERY POLITICAL tragedy at the moment.
1. car owner I assume was non-minority
2. thief was minority/protected class citizen
3. majority of responders/officers/PD are non-minority
4. victim, family, inner community are of a minority/protected class citizen group

Pray for the deceased and family/friends of the deceased. The sole focus of accountability going forward should be the THIEF. I suspect (and it sad to say) the battle the responders/officers/PD did today will continue for sometime and may expand like wildfire on other fronts.
What I didn't mention is my concern of Frivolous litigation based upon postings on northjersey.com particularly the "tone" (or muddy waters) being projected by certain specific individuals. My fear is that (some of) #4 either alone or somewhat "allied with" with #2 may press to go after #1 and/or #3 for large sums of money.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:05 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Great post Roselvr...but if that ever happens - remember YOUR life (as well as that of others) is NEVER worth your car or anything else. THINGS are always replaceable.
EEEPNJ - You could try this "Captain Kirk" method to minimize your losses!

YouTube - Captain Kirk "Shatner" on gun control!

I believe it satisfies all of Badfish's requirements!

Old 10-21-2008, 04:51 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Really disappointed by the opening post. Let's remove all accountability to the criminal and put the blame on the people who are supposed to be protecting us and were doing their jobs? What happens when someone takes off at a high rate of speed, the police don't go after them, and they crash into someone else, killing them? Is that the fault of the police too for not going after them?
Yea it seems like the people that fault the police and owner of the vehicle for the tragic death of the girl would fault the police and the owner of the vehicle if they DID NOT RESPOND. Some people wants it both ways in society. Too, too many Monday morning quarterbacks trying to blame others for an unfortunate incident.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:15 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I believe it satisfies all of Badfish's requirements!
That's the most ridiculous, irresponsible, and frankly stupid portrayal of self defense I've ever seen on television.

Perhaps "TheEmissary" ought to review Colonel Jeff Cooper's laws of firearm safety, specifically this one:

"Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy."

In other words, if you don't intend to kill your target, don't bother drawing your weapon. That doesn't mean that once the weapon is drawn that the target MUST be killed, it simply means that unless the target either retreats, disarms, or both, that destruction of the target will be the ultimate outcome. In the real world, Shatner (one of the world's most pathetic actors ironically) would have been charged and probably sued because A: he engaged in what is basically torture, and B: the recipient of the torture would make a compelling witness. This further proves my point that "TheEmissary" is a poster child for mental health background checks.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:03 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
"Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy."

In other words, if you don't intend to kill your target, don't bother drawing your weapon. That doesn't mean that once the weapon is drawn that the target MUST be killed, it simply means that unless the target either retreats, disarms, or both, that destruction of the target will be the ultimate outcome. .......
That says it all.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,935 times
Everyone, I understand that a 10 year old girl is dead and i Agree this is something that should of never happened for a piece of metal and although we want to blame the driver who stole the car. Harold Has Mental Problems believe me, He would tell people Voices talk to him , he believed the Devil was in him . He just needs to be locked up. although this sound cruel he need mental help... Everyone knew it... I dont knwo why no one helped him , even his mother knew it

Old 12-24-2008, 04:03 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mina2222 View Post
Everyone, I understand that a 10 year old girl is dead and i Agree this is something that should of never happened for a piece of metal and although we want to blame the driver who stole the car. Harold Has Mental Problems believe me, He would tell people Voices talk to him , he believed the Devil was in him . He just needs to be locked up. although this sound cruel he need mental help... Everyone knew it... I dont knwo why no one helped him , even his mother knew it
what an interesting first post, Welcome. Well I can tell you that there is a fine line when it comes to the mentally ill. FOr example the laws Years ago were that someone could commit someone in a certain situation as you describe above. Then the laws changed, what happened was the mentally ill person has to sign themselves in, in otherwords the mentally ill person is the only person who could commit themselves. Also they could leave anytime. This caused alot of problems, because most mentally ill people are afraid to take medication they think someone is out to poison them but they will self medicate with drugs and booze. However this also caused problems because mentally ill people dont think they are sick.

The laws now are leaning alittle different, but basically the Mentally Ill person has got to be the one to sign themselves in. Its very difficult to commit someone unless the courts get involved and that means they have to do something illegal.

Its sad, but not all mentally ill people in fact most are more likely to harm themselves than others. Criminals give the mentally ill a bad name. Especially the manic depressives. My mother was very bipolar and would hurt herself before anyone else!! I almost get sick when I hear killers refer to themselves as mentally ill.

Good first post!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey