Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 02:52 PM

3 posts, read 21,906 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning to move from Georgia to NY in April 2009 for work. I have been doing some research but I really need some help in deciding where to relocate to.

My question is where would be the best place in the tri-state area for us to move to if working in NY? I will be working in Manhattan.

My requirements are:
Good non-private schools (I have a baby just over a year old)
Decent commute from NY City (60 mins)
Surburbian feel (I currently live in one of the suburbs in ATL - Alpharetta)
House prices between $350K and $450K (preferably 3 bed 2.5 bath) or a 2 bed condo with parking,
Safe and diverse neighborhood
Low Crime

I'm sure you've heard this question over and over, but I couldn't find a post that had all of my questions in it. I am sorry if this is a re-post.

Thank You very much,
Seyi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 04:52 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Getting all of what you're looking for will be tough. We made the reverse move of what you're talking about doing last year- we moved from central NJ to Holly Springs, GA.

To get an area similar to Alpharetta, you're going to need to head out into the western suburbs along 78. This will either give you a commute of 1.5-2 hours door-to-door, whether you're looking at driving or taking the train.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:24 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma1 View Post
Hello,

I am planning to move from Georgia to NY in April 2009 for work. I have been doing some research but I really need some help in deciding where to relocate to.

My question is where would be the best place in the tri-state area for us to move to if working in NY? I will be working in Manhattan.

My requirements are:
Surburbian feel (I currently live in one of the suburbs in ATL - Alpharetta)
House prices between $350K and $450K (preferably 3 bed 2.5 bath) or a 2 bed condo with parking,
Safe and diverse neighborhood
Low Crime

I'm sure you've heard this question over and over, but I couldn't find a post that had all of my questions in it. I am sorry if this is a re-post.

Thank You very much,
Seyi

Colonia has much of what you are looking for
but it might not be as suburban as you would like

Old 10-20-2008, 12:52 PM

82 posts, read 250,208 times
Hi, may I suggest Rutherford NJ... I have lived there may years, rasied my children and the provate schools are very good along with public as well. Busses int eh city for $3.00, 20 minute commute and you have hte Rutherford Train station there as well.

If you need an excellent realtor, pls send me an email. He is one that sold my home. He is a broker/realtor and above all a good friend that knows just about everything about the town. His agency is the second oldest in Bergen County.

Regards,
Mike

Old 10-20-2008, 09:19 PM

792 posts, read 3,137,768 times
MORE SPECIFICS NEEDED.

Quote:
Why not private? GREAT private schools in NY/NJ metro.

Quote:
Upto 60 mins on mass transit- door-to-door or enroute? upto 60 mins via automobile - door-to-door or enroute? More specifics, preferences?

Quote:
Surburbian feel (I currently live in one of the suburbs in ATL - Alpharetta)House prices between $350K and $450K (preferably 3 bed 2.5 bath) or a 2 bed condo with parking
Why on earth would you pay that much for a condo when you could get a TownHouse? Am I missing something?

Quote:
Safe and diverse neighborhood, Low Crime.
Again very vague here. Define diversity as you see and desire it? Are you willing to gain a little more diversity at a trade-off with good public schools/crime stats OR would you accept a "white toast" community with top notch public schools and no crime?

Old 10-20-2008, 10:20 PM

29 posts, read 81,597 times
Hi Seyi, There are some great communities along 1-78 that offer what you are looking for. The further you travel west, the more likely it is that we can find you a home in your price range - but the trade off is that the commute to the city increases.

Since you are receptive to townhomes/condos as well as single family homes, I'd suggest Bridgewater which offers a variety of housing options, a diverse community and very good schools. There are also some nice newer townhomes in Green Brook (also Somerset County - good schools) and Scotch Plains (Union County - closer in toward the city) that fall in your price range.

Last edited by Feenick; 10-20-2008 at 10:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey