Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 07:41 AM

13 posts, read 36,280 times

Advertisements

Hi. Newbie here. We will be relocating from South Louisiana within the next year. My husband is already working in the Staten Island/Long Islang/Bayonne area, so we will be joining him hopefully this summer when the school year ends and my house here sells.

While I realize I am in for major sticker shock, right now I just want to narrow down some options.

Seeking recommendations on 'burbs of NYC (in NJ) that are safe and have good public schools. Housing budget wise, I just don't know because I'm clueless about cost of living, taxes, etc. up there.

So, can I get some recommendations of safe/educated suburbs please to at least get me started.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 08:04 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
What is your budget? How much of a commute is tolerable? Do you need good schools?

Old 10-19-2008, 08:49 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,111 times
It is extremely hard to give you ideas without a budget. How many bedrooms do you need? What are you looking for in a home? What type of environment is it that you like...

But you are talking about the most expensive part of NJ. Anywhere commutable to NY within say, 45 minutes, with decent schools I would say prices for a small, older home will start at $400K. Our property taxes are the highest in the nation so figure anywhere from $6K up for that.

This can be depressing but NJ is a great place to live. You have access to so many great places.

Now, if you throw out a budget, you will get lots of info. Good Luck!

Old 10-19-2008, 10:10 AM

A budget is just hard to give right now because I just don't know what my house is going to sell for, how much I'll have to put down, etc. BUT, my husband will drive to Brooklyn, NY everyday because that is where his office is. My main concerns are safety and good public schools. I have a kindergartener right now and I really do not want to pay for private school if I don't have too.

Ideally, I would like a 4 bedroom, 2 bath house with at least 2500 sq. feet. That's what I have now. I'm going to die at the prices I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
It is extremely hard to give you ideas without a budget. How many bedrooms do you need? What are you looking for in a home? What type of environment is it that you like...

But you are talking about the most expensive part of NJ. Anywhere commutable to NY within say, 45 minutes, with decent schools I would say prices for a small, older home will start at $400K. Our property taxes are the highest in the nation so figure anywhere from $6K up for that.

This can be depressing but NJ is a great place to live. You have access to so many great places.

Now, if you throw out a budget, you will get lots of info. Good Luck!

Old 10-19-2008, 10:34 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
And you don't want to live in Brooklyn? Why did you choose NJ? His commute will be less than wonderful.

Take a look at Trulia.com, because there you can see the real estate taxes in NJ. They're eye opening. Without a budget it's going to be hard to give you much guidance.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:35 AM

468 posts, read 580,211 times
My condolences on your move

Old 10-19-2008, 01:04 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,111 times
In NJ, there are a lot of very good school districts so private school probably wont be necessary. Plus you'll find the best school districts have the highest taxes. It's like paying private school tuition:-)

I'm not sure if there's any public transportation into Brooklyn. The driving commute could be a little tough but plenty of people do it. To get you started check out Cranford, Westfield, Livingston. They all have good schools and the commute is generally under an hour to Brooklyn (however Brooklyn is pretty big so it depends where). There's some towns in Middlesex County but I'm not as familiar with the schools in those towns.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:40 AM

Is Brooklyn an OK place to live? Safety and Education wise? That would be GREAT if it is? Thanks for the website too. I will check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
And you don't want to live in Brooklyn? Why did you choose NJ? His commute will be less than wonderful.

Take a look at Trulia.com, because there you can see the real estate taxes in NJ. They're eye opening. Without a budget it's going to be hard to give you much guidance.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSo View Post
My condolences on your move
Why? I am a born and raised east coast girl (VA) and I HATE Louisiana so this is AWESOME for us......great opportunity to get the h*ll out of here. I''m curious as to your condolences though????

Old 10-20-2008, 04:43 AM

Thanks! At least I have some starting points

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
In NJ, there are a lot of very good school districts so private school probably wont be necessary. Plus you'll find the best school districts have the highest taxes. It's like paying private school tuition:-)

I'm not sure if there's any public transportation into Brooklyn. The driving commute could be a little tough but plenty of people do it. To get you started check out Cranford, Westfield, Livingston. They all have good schools and the commute is generally under an hour to Brooklyn (however Brooklyn is pretty big so it depends where). There's some towns in Middlesex County but I'm not as familiar with the schools in those towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey