Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:16 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,203 times

Advertisements

Listen, Rocker started a baiting post with his Mercer County question, then he quickly turns into a PA Burbs/South Jersey debate. The PA board has the history, go pull it up. There will never be any common ground other than living in the Philly metro area, which in itself is the 4th largest in the country offering high quality of life on both sides of the river. I suggest leaving it at that.

If Rocker or anyone else wants to try to prove that PA burbs are in some way superior to NJ's then I think you need to do the proper analysis which is NOT spouting about median income or housing numbers when the two areas are so different. It is about property taxes, moxy, infrastructure, location, restaurants, shopping, commuting distances, highways, housing price per square foot, economic growth etc. Maybe you don't like the answers, but it what it is. I can do more in Moorestown than 3-5 Main Line towns combined. I have more access to whatever I want than any burb in PA and so does much of the rest of SJ. Don't kill the messenger. PA is fine for what it is. Some towns in PA are very nice. The attractive towns in PA and surrounded by some of the lowest income counties in the northeast. Real estate is location, location, location.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 10-20-2008 at 11:52 AM..

Old 10-20-2008, 11:53 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
[quote=MoorestownResident;5766910 PA's income is very low compared to NJ's, even with affordable housing in the calcs.[/QUOTE]

That's because outside of the bookend cities of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh it's nothing but blue collar jobs if that. Most of the industries in PA as a whole were things like coal and steel,and I think most people know what happened to those

Old 10-20-2008, 12:02 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Listen, Rocker started a baiting post with his Mercer County question, then he quickly turns into a PA Burbs/South Jersey debate. The PA board has the history, go pull it up. There will never be any common ground other than living in the Philly metro area, which in itself is the 4th largest in the country offering high quality of life on both sides of the river. I suggest leaving it at that.

If Rocker or anyone else wants to try to prove that PA burbs are in some way superior to NJ's then I think you need to do the proper analysis which is NOT spouting about median income or housing numbers when the two areas are so different. It is about property taxes, moxy, infrastructure, location, restaurants, shopping, commuting distances, highways, housing price per square foot, economic growth etc. Maybe you don't like the answers, but it what it is. I can do more in Moorestown than 3-5 Main Line towns combined. I have more access to whatever I want than any burb in PA and so does much of the rest of SJ. Don't kill the messenger. PA is fine for what it is. Some towns in PA are very nice. The attractive towns in PA and surrounded by some of the lowest income counties in the northeast. Real estate is location, location, location.
look, it's PAINFULLY obvious you and rainrock have some sort of history. i've read his OP over and over, and I'm sorry, I fail to see any baiting. what I do see is YOU and stuckpa on him like white on rice. again, i'm sure this has to do with whatever goes on on the philly board, but from this outsider's perspective, he asked a valid and interesting question and received valid answers in kind. please, leave whatever drama you guys have over there.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,203 times
Correct, these guys are acting like the Emerald City exists in PA with a 50 mile moat around it. Go drive around PA, then go drive around NJ. That will be more than telling.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
There is nothing in PA that should be included as part of the NYC metro. Mercer is claimed by both Philly and NYC but it is also claimed to be part of the Delaware Valley, so in terms of topography, it is clearly better defined under the greater Philly area.

Mercer has nothing in common with northern NJ or NYC, the culture is very much like South Jersey. And I've lived in both NYC/Philly metro areas so I know what I'm talking about. I suspect the entire county will never be properly designated under Philly because Philly is NYC's poor stepchild. People in Mercer think of themselves as being in central NJ but they really are in South Jersey. Counties to the northeast are in central NJ- Middlesex and Monmouth Counties. Ocean County is the same, think they are in central NJ when they are in South Jersey.
Lol @ poor stepchild
Geographically route 195 is the 'unofficial' dividing line between north and south Jersey...kind of like their own mason-dixon line
That puts Trenton technically still in north Jersey...although the way it looks PA can have it
When I worked at a Trenton radio station,they considered themselves 'Trenton/Philadelphia'. It's closer to Philly anyway.
So again let em have Trenton & Camden as part of their package if they want

Old 10-20-2008, 12:05 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
To the contrary, I support encouraging a drama-free zone in all forums.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
By the time counties like Bucks and Burlington send enough workers north to be on the brink of flipping, I think you'd see a combined metro area including New York and Philadelphia evolve. What a scary beast that would be.
That's what I said when I started to see the influx on NYers to Philly recently...the worst of both worlds

Old 10-20-2008, 12:09 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
To the contrary, I support encouraging a drama-free zone in all forums.
point taken tone!

Old 10-20-2008, 12:09 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
That's because outside of the bookend cities of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh it's nothing but blue collar jobs if that. Most of the industries in PA as a whole were things like coal and steel,and I think most people know what happened to those
This is absolutely true. No one would deny this. There are pockets of really nice areas (such as Hershey and some suburbs of Harrisburg and Lancaster, and there's renewal going on in the Lehigh Valley thanks to the outflow from NY/NJ), but there's serious economic woes in huge swaths of PA. This is sad, actually.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:10 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
That's what I said when I started to see the influx on NYers to Philly recently...the worst of both worlds
Ahh, so you're anti-NY now, too. I see a pattern developing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey