Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 03:40 PM

7 posts, read 20,986 times

Advertisements

I moved to Keansburg about 2.5 years ago. I was 33 and single at the time and purchased my home due to the affordability, proximity to NYC (where I work) and my love of anything near the jersey shore. I grew up in East Brunswick and swore I would never entertain living in Keansburg. I have a high end lifestyle and I was very residentially snooty. Well here I am and I have to say I do love it and was proven wrong. I bought a 3bedrom 2 bath ranch that was about 20 years old for $248,900. It is very large (large rooms) and It was well maintained, all I did was install hardwood flooring throughout and paint. I live on the west end off Palmer Ave near the middle school. I bought this house when you couldn't touch a townhouse for anything near this price. I love my house it's so charming and my neighbors are very friendly and down to earth as I find most of the town. Now with the market decline I didn't lose any money and can afford to still maintain my lifestyle. I love the area as well shopping on 35 near Holmdel, Red Bank, and Shrewsberry. Recently I got engaged and was entertaining upgrading to a larger house. I nixed that idea for now cause I love the fact that I can walk a few feet and pick up a bus to NYC anytime if I don't feel like driving, it's sooo convenient. To expand our family we may build up instead. I also know that a school referendum was approved and that Keansburg is categorized as an Abbott District in NJ due to a lower income level. The schools are in the process of being redone and expanded they are going to be beautiful when finished. Also, cause it's an Abbott District you get free pre-school from age 3. Takes the guess work out of the day care issue. I liked that as well. And if I decide I would like a private school for my future children I can EASILY afford it cause I made the right decision. With all the reconstruction going on you won't lose on your investment. I wish more people would see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,251 times
Default Redevelopment planned for Keansburg & bayshore region

Keansburg has a redevelopment plan and so does the entire bayshore region. I think both plans have been approved by the county, but I'm not sure of the current status. They will need money from the state and federal government to implement the plan. The plans also call for revamping Rt. 36 so it has the maritime character of the local shore towns it crosses, and also to make it look less run down.

I live in West Keansburg (which is actually part of Hazlet) and hope the plan gets impelemented, as it will provide a much needed boost for people to live and visit the area. The area can be made really nice if the things suggested in the plans are actually implemented. Then people might appreciate the amenities the area has to offer - mainly, easy access to public transportation (bus, ferry, train), proximity to the shore, proximity to amenities offered by the other nice towns in the area (Holmdel, Marlboro, Red Bank) and relatively decent housing prices (although house prices would presumably rise after the redevelopment - which I guess is why you're interested in investing).

There are plans to build high-end condo units on both sides of the amusement park in keansburg. One of them ("harbor lights") has begun construction. I'm not sure of the status of the other, "seaview gardens". You can see plans for harbor lights at [url=http://kalian.com/rm/communities/harbor_light_bayshore.html]Kalian Companies - Home Builders, New Jersey[/url] and for seaview gardens at Luxury Waterfront Condominiums Keansburg Monmouth County New Jersey (http://www.foxmoorhomes.com/singlefamily_seaviewgardens.htm - broken link).

I've tried looking for updates on the redevelopment plans, but have been unsuccessful in finding anything.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:45 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne01 View Post
I I also know that a school referendum was approved and that Keansburg is categorized as an Abbott District in NJ due to a lower income level. The schools are in the process of being redone and expanded they are going to be beautiful when finished. Also, cause it's an Abbott District you get free pre-school from age 3. Takes the guess work out of the day care issue. I liked that as well. And if I decide I would like a private school for my future children I can EASILY afford it cause I made the right decision. With all the reconstruction going on you won't lose on your investment. I wish more people would see that.
sure you love it, you've got the taxpayers in NJ paying for your free day care, its no wonder people are leaving NJ in droves

Old 01-16-2008, 06:31 PM

45 posts, read 215,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion1usa View Post
As of August 5, 2007, there are several houses in Middletown and Union Beach selling for under $160g. Hazlet known as trailer city in the bayshore has trailer homes as cheap as 25g and homes selling under 175g. The highlands also has trailer homes under 50g. Aberdeen and Old Bridge have homes under 199g. Plenty of cheap houses in Middletown for under 200g. I suggest looking in Keansburg, more value for the same money. Plus you will not find cheap trailer park houses in Keansburg. Keansburg is an old beach town but very safe. You can't go wrong with whatever town you choose in the bayshore area! They are all great towns in there own way. I suggest not moving to Asbury Park or Long Branch, a lot of crime there.

I am amazed , may I ask where you get your information from? There are not plenty of homes in Middletown for under 160,000 unless you are looking in the north Middletown area, which borders Keansburg and even that is low. You are so far off the mark with your prices of the area. Hazlet has lovely homes,the whole town is not made up of trailer parks you have a section off of highway 36 which also borders Keansburg.

Keansburg has it's nicer areas and less desireable. There are plenty of nice homes for sale in Keansburg and they are starting to develop the town. They put all new condos by the boardwalk.

I would suggest like one poster has mention come down on the weekend , feel the neighborhood. Look up the school reports online of the high schools in these towns.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:44 PM

17 posts, read 76,095 times
Default keyport

i live in keyport at the moment. i live it the run down area and it looks pretty similar to east keansburg believe it or not. i think keyport has ok and bad areas near the water. but i find the farther from the water you go it gets pretty nice. around the downtown area some streets have a few boarded up houses. and people who are saying keyport is rebuilding around the crappy parts, they aren't. the only thing that happened the fixed up the waterfront.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:52 AM

133 posts, read 713,166 times
Default Keansburg

is the worst town in the bayshore. All you have to do is look at the median price. You speak of Hazlet having trailer parks, they do but its like probably 2% of the town. You just look at the little part that is on 36. Bottom line is Hazlet has some really nice developments, where i dont think Keansburg has one desirable area. Unless u call the rundown boardwalk desireable and like to live with gangs.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
sure you love it, you've got the taxpayers in NJ paying for your free day care, its no wonder people are leaving NJ in droves
FYI...I have no children...fyi...between my fiance and myself we pay taxes on an annual income of $300,000, we own a home in Brooklyn also where we pay taxes...my ex-husband and I paid property taxes in East Brunswick to the tune of $10,000/yr for a very long time...I'm carrying my tax burden believe me!!! Un-called for comment. As for daycare I work in NYC my choice would be to pay for childcare close to work to the tune of $1500-2000/month not accept the "free-option" offered by the town BUT for those people who cannot afford that burden it is a nice feature that the town has to offer. Know your facts before you comment!

Old 01-30-2008, 07:38 AM

[quote=luvtoshop;2535329]I am amazed , may I ask where you get your information from? There are not plenty of homes in Middletown for under 160,000 unless you are looking in the north Middletown area, which borders Keansburg and even that is low. You are so far off the mark with your prices of the area. Hazlet has lovely homes,the whole town is not made up of trailer parks you have a section off of highway 36 which also borders Keansburg.

Keansburg has it's nicer areas and less desireable. There are plenty of nice homes for sale in Keansburg and they are starting to develop the town. They put all new condos by the boardwalk.

quote]

I agree with you, $160,000 price tag for anything in the area is non-existent. When I originally purchased my house in 2005 you could maybe get a 1-bdrm bungalow but then you had to either be REALLY handy or knock it down. Many people are doing that and they are buying 2-3 of them for the lots. I've seen that happening as I jog through town particularly towards the beach area. I wish people would stop bad-mouthing the surrounding towns in the area. If you want your property values to go up it's in everyone's best interest for "nice" hardworking people with a lot of pride to move in regardless of what they're income level. (Stop trying to scare them off from one town or another.) That is what makes or breaks a neighborhood. I've heard comments about how I live in the nicer section of Keansburg and it's not because it's next to Middletown, it's because everyone takes pride in what they own no matter how large or small.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:49 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne01 View Post
BUT for those people who cannot afford that burden it is a nice feature that the town has to offer. Know your facts before you comment!
sure it's a nice feature, that all the taxpayers get to pay for, everyone complains about high taxes and here's a place where a lot of money is spent.
If you want lower taxes you have to cut spending and the free child care that has become a standard is a great place to start the spending cuts.

these people who are depending on this free child care subsidy have chosen to have children the can't seem to support without the subsidy of free child care.
the moral to the story is if you want to work and have kids, you need to pay for your own child care, it is not everyone's job to support your lifestyle choices

Old 01-30-2008, 07:54 AM

I've lived in Keansburg going on 3 years now and I purchased there cause I wanted an affordable home that would also be a good investment. There has been 3 tax increases all of which were very small nothing to be concerned about. I live on the Middletown end off of Rt. 36 (Palmer Ave.)and probably (in my opinion) the number one feature of my home is the fact that I can pick up the bus to Port Authority a few steps away from my front door. The Academy bus makes a couple of stops right within the town itself. My neighbors that purchased across the street are a nice young family from Astoria, Queens and that was one of the things that attracted them to the area. I would love to have the time to buy up some small 1-bdrm bungalows and either refurbish or knockdown. Good luck and as a resident I thank you for entertaining Keansburg for your next investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey