Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:39 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
Yes, you're right, and posting your own experience as a warning is very helpful. But, the other poster has some positives as well, so don't discount that either. There are many people who, for various reasons, don't mind a very busy area.
I agree with that kid!!! Your right! Lots of positives in Hillsdale, a close and clean 7-11!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 01:42 PM

67 posts, read 335,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I am not being nasty , your being in denial by saying its not busy and you dont notice it!! I mean if you just told the truth it would be different. I lived in Hillsdale for over 15 years so obviously I did not hate it, I could have moved anytime and it certain was not the case of money. The problem is your lack of really being honest. Its a zoo the road. So lets just tell the truth to the op, and not misrepresent living on that road. She can get another house in Hillsdale or even this house but she needs to know the truth.
Look, I will give you an example, I joined a gym one time, they told me off hours were 10-2 and its dead. So I signed like a fool not checking out for myself and it was packed!! Now same point if we all tell her no no its dead, its quiet its not too busy we are misrepensenting Hillsdale and would have someone unhappy. Good luck and pray you can get them to stop raising the tax 500-800 a year. The people really need a break in Hillsdale. I am very good friends with 3 elderly and they cant hack it anymore. One is an 85 year old vet!!!!!! He calls me crying!!! I have paid his taxes for him to help him stay in his home in HILLSDALE, I have spoke to the town and wrote letters for him.. We are talking 85 and a VETERAN!! What a shame. They tell me tough luck, tell him to move!

Look I am sorry if you see my posts as harsh or nasty, maybe I could express myself different but you got to admit its sad to see an 85 year old man, who has lived in Hillsdale his whole life, gave his life for service and really is having trouble and calls me crying. I have know this family in Hillsdale for along time and this guy is now left with having to go to a reverse mortage. His wife is dead and his two children are clear across the country and could give a damn. So its sad! Now like I said believe me where I live has problems. At first you dont see it, then you open your eyes and think OBJECTIVELY yes there are negitives. But like you said I got a great house for the money!! It was best for what I could afford, so we agree on that point. Look I wish you good luck and no hard feelings!! If I had a house like this in Hillsdale maybe well probably not its gotton too crowded for me but everything was close. However I did not see a world outside of Hillsdale. Bergen county can really make you stay in your two square mile radius. If I had know how great Morris and SOmerset were and Hunderton I would have left long ago. I never knew how beautiful NJ was and is. Just not brooklyn ohh I mean bergen!!

Last note: I have two very good friends Sue and Gary who were my neighbors in Hillsdale. They were the Hillsdale cheerleaders!! I mean you could not have taken two people who loved hillsdale more than them and their kids. Last time we spoke they ran up to me and said they hit us again with 800 dollars after last years 1400 increase in property tax. They have there house on the market. They told me they see no end in sight and asked me how I liked Morris and what the tax. Well I told them and they literally dropped their mouths!! I mean they are coming my way!! Now they have two kids and loved Hillsdale this is one bunch that I thought would never leave!!!!!!!!!! I mean NEVER, so I was wrong. People are leaving, they are burnt out on the extrememly high tax. And Hillsdale is one town that is worse than others in bergen, not the worst but getting bad. That HS and all the struture has really caused an out of control bunch of tax. I dont see how people who bought when it was a middle class town can stay. GOod luck and sorry if I offended you.

My intention was never to be dishonest, and I'm not in denial. I was merely stating my opinion. I never said I don't notice the noise on Kinderkamack. That would be an insane comment; I never made that comment! What I did say was that I didn't feel the noise was as a big of a deal as some expressed. I actually even mentioned that the noise can be especially annoying during the summer, but I still don't feel that it's horrible. Yes, I am two houses from Kinderkamack, but Kinderkamack basically butts up against a side of my house. Buying a house close to Kinderkamack was a sacrifice I made in order to buy into Hillsdale (and most of my immediate neighbors did the same). Most of my neighbors are young (or fairly young--I'm no spring chicken!) families who could not afford to move to other parts of the town. It seemed that the original poster was in a similar situation. I wanted the original poster to know that I was happy with my choice. The benefits of the town, in my opinion, far outweigh the negatives of Kinderkamack.

Before I bought my house, I visited it multiple times during the day, to see what the traffic noise was like. I wanted a realistic picture of what I was getting into. I did that, and the traffic noise really didn't bother me much. I'm happy I moved to Hillsdale. I love the little town and what it has to offer.

I'm glad you enjoyed many good years in Hillsdale, and I'm happy you found somewhere that makes you happier. I'm sure Morris, Somerset, etc. are very nice and much less expensive, but the commute into the NYC (where many of us work) would be much longer... too long, in my opinion. Again, just my opinion.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springcheer View Post
My intention was never to be dishonest, and I'm not in denial. I was merely stating my opinion. I never said I don't notice the noise on Kinderkamack. That would be an insane comment; I never made that comment! What I did say was that I didn't feel the noise was as a big of a deal as some expressed. I actually even mentioned that the noise can be especially annoying during the summer, but I still don't feel that it's horrible. Yes, I am two houses from Kinderkamack, but Kinderkamack basically butts up against a side of my house. Buying a house close to Kinderkamack was a sacrifice I made in order to buy into Hillsdale (and most of my immediate neighbors did the same). Most of my neighbors are young (or fairly young--I'm no spring chicken!) families who could not afford to move to other parts of the town. It seemed that the original poster was in a similar situation. I wanted the original poster to know that I was happy with my choice. The benefits of the town, in my opinion, far outweigh the negatives of Kinderkamack.

Before I bought my house, I visited it multiple times during the day, to see what the traffic noise was like. I wanted a realistic picture of what I was getting into. I did that, and the traffic noise really didn't bother me much. I'm happy I moved to Hillsdale. I love the little town and what it has to offer.

I'm glad you enjoyed many good years in Hillsdale, and I'm happy you found somewhere that makes you happier. I'm sure Morris, Somerset, etc. are very nice and much less expensive, but the commute into the NYC (where many of us work) would be much longer... too long, in my opinion. Again, just my opinion.
yes the commute would be alot longer, Bergen is very good for that. Look I am not trying to be mean to you or a really bad jerk, I am trying to be somewhat of a jerk , so lets move on. Im sorry I enjoy other people's input and next time I will try to curb myself. Forgive me! Thanks and lets move on kid!!

Old 11-16-2008, 03:19 PM

Forgiven. All is good! Yup, let's move on... OK... I'm back to advising people on Fort Lee (I lived there for many years!)...

Old 11-16-2008, 03:45 PM

my grandparents lived on Briar Way right next to June Valley, there name was Tuttle ring a bell??

Old 11-16-2008, 04:02 PM

Hmmm... Nope, I didn't know a Tuttle. I lived in Med West for many years.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,332 times
Hi - my husband and I are currently looking for a house and we saw one on Piermont in Hillsdale that we really like, we are thinking of making an offer but I am mostly concerned about flooding, does this area get flooded often?

Old 12-01-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VConnelly1126 View Post
Hi - my husband and I are currently looking for a house and we saw one on Piermont in Hillsdale that we really like, we are thinking of making an offer but I am mostly concerned about flooding, does this area get flooded often?
Piermont does not flood. Piermont is on a hill, its a busy road but livable. Why would you think Piermont floods, its not even in the flood zone. Even if your at the bottom of the hill that is not a flood area. Go ahead and buy it, its a busy road but doable. Its a cut thru street to Hillsdale Ave and or Kinderkamamck and can be busy but look if you like the house go for it. Listen no flood problems there!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 06:24 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
The way this thread was going, it reminded me of a skit by two great New Jersey comedians.
BAGEL STREET!

Old 03-17-2009, 06:57 PM

123 posts, read 568,218 times
Tthere are a couple of houses past the high school that "require flood insurance"...both were on the market and they have a stream in front of them. Whether they actually flood or not I am unsure. I believe one already sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey