Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 12:54 AM

6 posts, read 18,344 times

Advertisements

I just got married and my husband and I are thinking about buying a home on Kinderkamack road in hillsdale NJ. We love the town but we are not sure about living on that road. Has anyone on here lived on kinderkmack or do you know anyone that does? How do they like it? We don't have any kids now but hope to in the next year and all everyone keeps saying is oh what about kids! Any advice would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 05:10 AM

5,617 posts, read 15,472,860 times
well I lived on Large ave, right off Kinderkamack Road and Magnolia, actually the old wreck is for sale but dont buy that house on Large, however do not and I repeat DO NOT buy on that road. Its non stop traffic all day and night. You will worry about your pets, kids and a drunk coming up your lawn. Re sale is terrible on that main road and every year it get busier and busier. Now buying in Hillsdale is OK but not that ROAD. I could not even get out of Large ave half the time due to the traffic. Its hell I did know someone who was the corner house on Kinderkamack and Large ave, big gray house on corner lot, took forever to sell and that was in the boom. Its a bad choice unless you have no pets or kids. Personally unless its the deal of the century and you plan on never having kids, I would not do it. You will regret it down the line. Its a very busy road!! Route 17 at times is quieter!!!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:18 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,271,759 times
My wife lived a few houses off Kinderkamack on one of those side streets. Nice town, nice neighborhood, nice people, etc. -- bad location. stevemorse hit the nail on the head. It's very tough living on that road, a few houses off that road, etc., especially on that stretch of Kinderkamack. It is not worth anywhere near the aggrevation, worry and potential liability you'll have.

Even a few houses off, you have to be very careful with children, coming and going, etc. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:55 PM

6 posts, read 18,344 times
Wow that is what I thought. It's so hard to walk away being that we love the house. It does need some work and I just have a feeling that we are going to loose money if we buy on that road.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:25 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,916,771 times
I would only live on Kinderkamack, in any town, if it was the only way I could afford to live in the area. Otherwise, it is SO busy and has the potential for a lot of problems.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:08 PM

75 posts, read 300,152 times
Agree with the others. do not buy the house. A very, very, very busy street.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:20 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,624,238 times
I am from that area too and I would not want to live on that road. Especially with kids and pets! No way! Your resale value will go down so it does not matter how good of a deal you get now. I always say, "why buy a home on a main road when you can buy one off a main road for the same price somewhere".

Old 10-20-2008, 10:09 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,271,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbride08 View Post
Wow that is what I thought. It's so hard to walk away being that we love the house. It does need some work and I just have a feeling that we are going to loose money if we buy on that road.
Tough situation when you are dealing with emotions. Many people let emotions supercede practical application, common sense, logic, long-term thinking, etc. It is hard to walk away, very hard as you said.

I certainly wouldn't look to change your mind or your decision, however, you need to think through both sides of the discussion. Being that you've come along and (for sake of this side of the discussion) let's say bought the house. While there might be a more limited pool of buyers in the future, when compared to houses further off of Kinderkamack or not on Kinderkamack, you did come along . . . and perhaps someone else will as well. They say there is a cover for every pot and/or a pot for every cover. You might just be dealing with a very small # of pots and covers. LOL. It's not promising. Obviously, the house comes with a "negative" and that has to be looked at and thought about -- a lot!

Good luck.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:39 PM

67 posts, read 334,172 times
Wow... I disagree with most of these posters. I live two houses off Kinderkamack, and I don't think the noise is a big deal at all. It can be a bit noisy, especially during the summer, but it's really not too bad. Would I prefer to live further from Kinderkamack? Yes, but it's not financially possible. I love my neighbors, and I love my charming home. I chose Hillsdale for the excellent schools and family-friendly activities. I've been really happy with my choice!

Good luck!

Old 11-15-2008, 10:43 AM

5,617 posts, read 15,472,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springcheer View Post
Wow... I disagree with most of these posters. I live two houses off Kinderkamack, and I don't think the noise is a big deal at all. It can be a bit noisy, especially during the summer, but it's really not too bad. Would I prefer to live further from Kinderkamack? Yes, but it's not financially possible. I love my neighbors, and I love my charming home. I chose Hillsdale for the excellent schools and family-friendly activities. I've been really happy with my choice!

Good luck!
dream on, I lived on Large Ave , I could not make a lousy left turn to get onto Kinderkamack half the time! It's not the noise its the constant traffic!! I mean constant!! Its a MAJOR cut thru road, houses are right up there and yes it is harder to sell your home if you live on Kinderkamack. Now lets not misrepresent the true story here. I guess your worried about selling your home in the future, anyone who would in THIS market buy on kinderkamack should have THE DEAL OF THE CENTURY!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey