Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 04:45 PM

89 posts, read 689,875 times

Advertisements

I was in Texas all last weekend. I've always said that it's the only state in the south that feels even remotely close to home since it's got dirty ass air, and always has traffic and lots of strip malls..

in any case....

I think I changed my mind this time since the entire time I was there I threw my Jersey attitude around like it was going out of style!

My band played down there for a few days. After my set this guy came up to me and started chatting with me. I was friendly because he gave me no reason not to be. Then after a few drinks, he decides it's a good idea to dance up my butt uninvited! I was like WHOOOAAAA buddy...I ended up having to give him this big huge speech about how if that's what I wanted I would have ASKED for it, wagging my finger in his face the whole time...

The poor guy...he just looked at me like I strangled his mother....he just wasn't prepared for that kind of reaction.

I had incidents like this ALL WEEKEND! It's like once you open the "nice" door, they think it's an invitation for *fill in the blank*.

I found this odd because for me it was unusual. I NEVER get treated like that in Jersey. If i have it's been very rare. Then the friend that i was staying with out there brought to my attention that the "Jersey" in me is even MORE obvious when I'm out of my home state. And it wasn't just in situations like that one! They tried to take me to a pizza place, and i was like NOOOO WAAAYYY. We Jerseyans are such pizza snobs...anyway

I was wondering if anyone had any similar stories about going out of state and everybody just KNOWING that you are undoubtedly from NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 04:52 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
I've actually tried to suppress it. I think it's more a circumstance of my getting older, though, and attempting to become a better person.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:02 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
Never been an issue. I don't have attitude to begin with. My humor is a little dark but in most of the U.S. people don't know NY from NJ from New England. People from like say Rhode Island might ask me where I'm from but I blend in everywhere but the south. In the south they know right away that I am some kind of outsider.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:30 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
I lived in NJ for some 36 years before escaping about 15 years ago. I found no funny looks by my Joisey accent or my "hurry hurry up the world is one big emergency" attitude so common in NY and NJ....maybe even the whole North East then any other place. These places include Canada, Virginia, Utah, California, Nevada and Arizona where I spent time.

Im brand new in Texas now. Down in the city it is still hurry hurry hustle bustle with traffic jams but few have southern accents because everyone is from some place else. But I am way out in the country now. My little town has a sign that says population 691. There are little to no transplants here for sure. They are all born and raised within a block of their place of birth. The accents are deep here and only Rednecks roam these parts.

I find myself limiting my talking so as not to be identified. I hate nothing more then being called a Yankee. Whataya all still fighting the Revolutionary war? I dont feel at all uncomfortable speaking loudly down in the big city of Houston. No one looks at me funny there.

I am learning to slow down some. There are no traffic lights here. No rush hour traffic. No gangster kids wearing pants large enough to fit 6 grown adults while wearing their hats on crooked. Teenagers all, not some, all say yes ma'me and yes sir to other kids and to adults.

The one thing I will always have trouble with is saying "Ya'll"

Old 10-22-2008, 06:51 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
I am 40 years old, born and raised in Clifton, NJ. When I was 26, I moved to the Nashville, TN area. I have found my Jersey attitude extremely beneficial when someone tries to jerk me around. I just pull out my Jersey attitude and set things right.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:00 PM

253 posts, read 997,063 times
Live in Essex County and work for a company that's based in LA. I can certainly say that I make it a point to try to surpress the Jersey in me when I travel there, or meet elsewhere for account team meetings. The people in my office are so PC and laid back, they can definitely tell when I'm around the office - or working with them over the phone. I try to bring out the Jersey 'tude only when I need it.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:18 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhiskey View Post
I was in Texas all last weekend. I've always said that it's the only state in the south that feels even remotely close to home since it's got dirty ass air, and always has traffic and lots of strip malls..

in any case....

I think I changed my mind this time since the entire time I was there I threw my Jersey attitude around like it was going out of style!

My band played down there for a few days. After my set this guy came up to me and started chatting with me. I was friendly because he gave me no reason not to be. Then after a few drinks, he decides it's a good idea to dance up my butt uninvited! I was like WHOOOAAAA buddy...I ended up having to give him this big huge speech about how if that's what I wanted I would have ASKED for it, wagging my finger in his face the whole time...

The poor guy...he just looked at me like I strangled his mother....he just wasn't prepared for that kind of reaction.

I had incidents like this ALL WEEKEND! It's like once you open the "nice" door, they think it's an invitation for *fill in the blank*.

I found this odd because for me it was unusual. I NEVER get treated like that in Jersey. If i have it's been very rare. Then the friend that i was staying with out there brought to my attention that the "Jersey" in me is even MORE obvious when I'm out of my home state. And it wasn't just in situations like that one! They tried to take me to a pizza place, and i was like NOOOO WAAAYYY. We Jerseyans are such pizza snobs...anyway

I was wondering if anyone had any similar stories about going out of state and everybody just KNOWING that you are undoubtedly from NJ.
Unfortunately, it's the same way in my area, too. I've been smiled at, or told "You're pretty!" [etc, that's polite] in NJ - but nothing foul, or unwanted. and all I have to do is reply with a simple "Thanks" smile back, and that's that, on that particular topic.

I do the same here, and they want to "Holla". A week ago I was on the bus, studying (was on my way to take a test), and a guy came and sat next to me, telling me how pretty I was, and I told him thanks, put my headphones back (and most would assume that I was busy, or didn't want to be bothered). He sat and continued to talk to me, and eventually, said "Are you busy?" and didn't leave until I pretty much forced him away by being blunt and saying "Well, I have a test in an hour, and am trying to study" - stuff like that has never happened to me in NJ. That's not to say that Jerseyans aren't friendly - they're actually some of the friendliest people I've ever met. They just present themselves in a much more appropriate/less annoying manner.

Perhaps NJ has rubbed off on me?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:26 PM

89 posts, read 689,875 times
I generally don't break out the attitude unless absolutely necessary. I don't feel like I have an accent at all, or if so VERY slight, but I still am apparently easily identified as a Northerner.

It's not like I run around shouting at people or anything. But I guess the fact that I can be quite abrupt without realizing it can come off as "rude" when I'm not at home.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:28 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhiskey View Post
I generally don't break out the attitude unless absolutely necessary. I don't feel like I have an accent at all, or if so VERY slight, but I still am apparently easily identified as a Northerner.

It's not like I run around shouting at people or anything. But I guess the fact that I can be quite abrupt without realizing it can come off as "rude" when I'm not at home.
There's a difference between being rude and blunt, imo. But a lot of people outside of a certain area can't tell the difference.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:37 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
I have stated here before- in the south the double standard for men and women is alive and well. From a female in particular- blunt can be considered rude. That has nothing to do with being from NJ. It has to do with NOT being from the south. On the west coast you might be able to blend right into the woodwork. It depends on your accent. I have always had an eastern accent w/o sounding too ny or njish. People usually don't dwell on it. I speak very fast but with a laid back attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey