Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 02:09 AM

3 posts, read 11,340 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
Hope you all had a great holiday. My family and i are thinking of moving to Lodi. Any insights on the neighbor near Bryant pl. off Passaic Ave.?
Looking to move to a nice quiet safe neighborhood.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 08:54 AM

66 posts, read 166,902 times
Overall I think you will find Lodi to be a pretty safe and quiet town. However may I ask why you've chosen Lodi? Also what is your budget if you don't mind (so I could provide other suggestions). Lodi has really transformed over the years in my opinion. While it's still okay, it's not as nice as it once was.

One issue with Lodi I have is the public schools, which are some of the worst in the area. I would argue that pretty much any other town bordering Lodi has better schools (except maybe Garfield). Also Lodi has had some major issues with flooding over the years so please check ahead of time to see if that neighborhood floods (even ask some neighbors about their experiences, if possible). Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the neighborhoods off of Passaic Street. This area of town looks much more run down than others in my opinion and doesn't look as nice. (The only good thing is you can walk to Walmart in Garfield and the Garfield train station). The areas of Lodi I like most are the neighborhood off of South Main Street near the Hasbrouck Heights border (which I'm pretty sure does not flood) as well as the neighborhood off North Main Street that lies between Rt 80 and Ave E.

Best of luck on your search! Please let me know if you need more information.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:12 PM

rural_urban, Thank you for your advice, I will certainly give this some more thought. We currently live in Ridgefield which is a very nice area and great school systems to say the least. I guess you can say, we stubbled on a good situation in regards to a much nicer\larger home in a not so much nicer looking area. So we were contemplating on a possible move. I have to say, that area isn't as pleasant looking as the area near RT46. Wondering on safety in that particular area? Very close to passaic also.. to be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Thanks

Old 12-29-2014, 07:50 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,423 times
Live in a worse house in a better neighborhood than in a better house in a worse neighborhood, is the usual guidance.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:42 AM

102 posts, read 132,240 times
I live pretty close to lodi and I have a friend who lives there so I've been there a few times at least, the area you're talking about doesn't really seem to bad in my opinion but of course I guess that would depend on how your current area is.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:03 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,748 times
Be aware the schools are so bad that they partially inspired an acronym used to describe the town among county locals that I won't repeat here because frankly it's somewhat offensive.

It's safe and quiet but do not move there with kids you intend to send to public schools, and make sure the house isn't in a flood zone (some areas flood badly, don't know about that intersection).

Old 12-30-2014, 05:38 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Be aware the schools are so bad that they partially inspired an acronym used to describe the town among county locals that I won't repeat here because frankly it's somewhat offensive.

It's safe and quiet but do not move there with kids you intend to send to public schools, and make sure the house isn't in a flood zone (some areas flood badly, don't know about that intersection).
Lol what's the acronym?

Old 12-31-2014, 11:07 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural_urban View Post
Lodi has really transformed over the years in my opinion. While it's still okay, it's not as nice as it once was.
Not as nice as it once was?
Lodi is the same lower middle class/working class area it has always been. What you mean is the racial makeup has changed & that equals "bad" in you mind.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:03 PM

128 posts, read 192,994 times
Lodi isn't dangerous at all. The schools aren't great, but Garfield's schools (next to Lodi, where I live) are much worse.
Hasbrouck Heights borders Lodi and is nicer, but more expensive. In my opinion, Lodi people are friendlier, too.
Passaic St/Bryant Pl is safe, but rural_urban is right about the nicer area. Lodi does have a lot of flood zones though, so be careful.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:59 PM

I really appreciate everyone feedback.. Thank you all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey