Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 05:38 PM

3 posts, read 11,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka View Post
Part of Maplewood is very nice, especially right near the downtown area and west of the NJ transit train. Most of town is not as nice as the upscale downtown area.

Look at where it ranks with other NJ towns in terms of violent crime: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Then compare Maplewood's crime rate to other nice towns like Millburn and Summit, which are on the next two towns on the NJ Transit train line.
---

The above is very accurate. There is a not so nice part of Maplewood which borders Irvington (a very crappy area). My wife and I are home shopping right now in most of the towns mentioned in this thread. We feel Chatham and Madison are the best deal for the money. We love Maplewood but for the kind of taxes you will pay ( almost double Chatham and Madison up to 14K or more) your kids dont get as good of an education. So that is up to you.

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 03:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 05:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,723 times
Angry Madison

If you like an area that is extremely affluent and white than this is the town for you!!!!!!! No cultural diversity and very few people with an understanding of the real world. $650,000 will get you a shoebox for a house with very little land. Not impressed with this town that reminds me a bit of Stepford!!!!!!

Old 03-19-2007, 08:32 AM

18 posts, read 111,654 times
I would also look in Summit, New Providence and Berk.Heights. All are very nice, clean and safe. Summit is more expensive, but it has better train connections. They are close to eachother so you can visit all activities in all 3 towns. NP and BH are smaller towns but very nice. Schools are excellent. We are leaving BH after 2.5 years (house goes on sale in a week) and we have been very happy here.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:48 PM

3 posts, read 10,077 times
What is it about Maplewood that isn't good? I was looking there this weekend and would like more info

Old 05-21-2007, 09:34 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stace View Post
What is it about Maplewood that isn't good? I was looking there this weekend and would like more info
it borders some very high crime areas

Old 06-11-2007, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,602 times
Madison is amazing, I just "finished" growing up there and after living there for 20 years I have been hit with the repeated realization that I got to experience something really special. In any case Summit is awesome too. Important item for growing up in summit is an icecream place called Magic Fountain. Also the train in summit is nice because it is a junction point between the dover and gladestone branches. I just started commuting from madison this summer into the city and its not bad at all.
Oh and the reason that movie's use Madison is the train station more than anything, its a real classic

enjoy the NJ area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey