Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 02:28 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
This is New Jersey, the babysitters have a union local #12 that backs them up. I hear they are in negotiations to get a raise and round it off at 20 per hour with full benifits and no co pay.
funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 02:29 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
Seriously why don't people ever see the value in taking care of children????
even worse people dont see to much value in taking care of adults!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 02:43 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
8th grade actually. <shrug> - why cheap out when it comes to your kids' care? i can afford it, she's worth it. no harm, no foul - it's not coming out of taxpayers wallets.
Couldn't agree with you more. Sad when we think shrubs are more valuable than our kids.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
Seriously why don't people ever see the value in taking care of children????
People will leave their children in the care of strangers quicker than they will their car. It's true.

I've only used sitters from my daughter's daycare center in the past. I paid them $12 an hour and they were delighted because, as you know tea, daycare workers are woefully underpaid. Typically, I only leave the kids with family (and not all of them even...) and only with adults. I'm not big into kids watching kids. I KNOW people will disagree... it's just my opinion, I don't expect anyone else to follow it.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Not sure if this will help or not but there's a babysitting site called sittercity where you can find all sorts of sitters (for kids & adults).

I haven't checked the site out fully but they may have a pay scale guide
I saw this site too. Again, it creeps me out that people would use the internet to find a sitter for their child.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
Also to add: When you do hire someone from a preschool or daycare remember this:

They are CPR/First Aid certified through the center AS WELL as fingerprint clear. They passed a background check.

Shanny
Which is WHY the only babysitters I've ever hired were my kid's former caregivers from their daycare center.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:08 PM

86 posts, read 226,926 times
I am a nanny, I would probably say 10/hr minimum. If its a HS student, 10 is more than enough. Make them earn their keeps.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:15 PM

10 posts, read 78,374 times
The person I am looking at hiring is in high school with her parents right next door. She has taken the babysitting certification course. My children are in bed by 8pm every night, we would be feeding the kids before we left. The babysitter would only have to entertain the kids for 1.5 hrs. My kids do not wake up or leave their rooms once they have been put to bed.
--In the past, they have only been taken care of in the evenings by relatives or family friends when we get the chance to go out once every couple months. However, since we have moved 3 hours away from family and friends, this is not an option. My children do not go to daycare or preschool so I am not asking those professionals.
I am trusting a high school student because I know the parents, they are next door, she has had experience and training and babysitters need to start somewhere. I started babysitting the same way when I was in high school and was very trustworthy, etc. Thank you for all your responses.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:41 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
I babysat regularly in Mercer county 2 years ago and made $10-$12/hour for 2 kids (I sat for 2 different families and one paid more than the other), but I was in my mid-20s. I would say $8-$9 for a high school kid is fair.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:32 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcp679 View Post
The person I am looking at hiring is in high school with her parents right next door. She has taken the babysitting certification course. My children are in bed by 8pm every night, we would be feeding the kids before we left. The babysitter would only have to entertain the kids for 1.5 hrs. My kids do not wake up or leave their rooms once they have been put to bed.
Has she put the kids to bed before? Does she know their routine?
I ask because some don't know about wind down time & might run around with them before bed. Some kids can't shut down like that.

If she hasn't put them to bed, I'd see if she can come over one night to see how you do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcp679 View Post
I am trusting a high school student because I know the parents, they are next door, she has had experience and training and babysitters need to start somewhere. I started babysitting the same way when I was in high school and was very trustworthy, etc. Thank you for all your responses.
Babysitting doesn't seem as popular as it used to be. None of my son's friends babysat (a few years ago when I needed it). Maybe if more kids babysat we wouldn't have such a high teen pregnancy rate

I have nothing against leaving a child with someone mature enough to watch them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey