U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,935 times

Advertisements

obviously stay away from the flood sections. I'm looking for a 3br 400k house and I'm considering Wayne. It seems like a really beautiful town. Good schools, a lot of major highways run through it, safe etc...However a few friends are telling me that the quality of Wayne is downgrading. I guess due to its proximity to Paterson and a lot of colored people moving in and renting.

Also, what do you think about Fair Lawn?

thanks,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 07:41 PM

792 posts, read 2,959,144 times
Very Good North Jersey towns -- IMO WAYNE IS BETTER/NICER .

Wayne is west of Paterson (off Hamberg Turnpike) in Passaic Co.
FL is east of Paterson off Broadway/RT4 in Bergen Co.

If you are a NYC commuter note that FL has way better mass transit service. Compared to Wayne? Blows it away hand down. If not a NYC commuter and commuting by CAR and closer to Wayne I'd tilt to Wayne (otherwise eye FL).

I started a new job in Wayne/WPU last week and I love it - really like Wayne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobr View Post
Also, what do you think about Fair Lawn?
If I was in your shoes here's my preferred "Coordinates" on Fair Lawn (FL)

1. east of 208/NJT RR (when 208 runs north/south by Nabisco)
2. can go out further east towards Paramus border/Paramus Rd. (by BCC/PCHS).
3. north right to the Glen Rock border
4. no lower or south of Morlott Ave. (preferably north of 208 when 208 runs east/west).

#1 tells you to stay away from Paterson side, river, and the noisy 208/20. #2 recommends to stay close to the Bergen Co. parks and bike/ped trail, #4 recommends to stay away from south side of town along RT4. In a nutshell stay close to Radburn center IMO. Radburn will take care of you, you will be in good hands IMO here.

Also Sis -n- her BF are looking at a houses to buy in FL now. But they are extremely "nit picky" about where in FL they would buy (and converse not buy).

Key question - which town will weather and ride out the economic and real estate storm better? So far specific parts of FL are still a SELLERS MARKET with houses getting asking prices in less than 30 DOM (per SIS). FL has the better mass transit system and has a clear edge for NYC commuters, esp. if gas prices reverse and head back toward $4/gallon. Wayne's train service to NYC/HOB is awful, limited, and time consuming. Wayne has the better schools (re: Hills and Valley). Its a very tough call, not an apples to apples comparison.

Last edited by Spincycle; 10-25-2008 at 08:27 PM..

Old 10-25-2008, 09:49 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,220,563 times
Wayne has always been a nice town. It is big and has sections that are very different. There are some areas that are a little "hickey" (more by the flood zones). Some REAL tony developments, some solid middle class sections, and MILES AND MILES of Garden Apartments. So you do get all walks of life there. One problem Wayne has faced is SERIOUS overdevelopment. I was in the Wayne Hills Mall not too long ago - by the way - that mall has just about NO stores left anymore - the Police Officer on duty there told me the owner of the property wanted to make it into condos and the town rebelled. As a result, he was sort of purposely making the mall an eyesore. The reasoning was if Wayne's population went up just a bit more they were going to be given city status (or something to that effect, this was a while ago and I was not taking notes...).

I had family that lived on, I think it was Andover, off of Augusta years ago. I LOVED it. Beautiful home and neighborhood. I will say this though, when they moved (to Hillsdale and then to Mahwah...) they said that one of the reasons that they left is that there was "spillover" of problems from Paterson. It is very close to the part of Wayne they were in. They were not thrilled with that and it contributed to their decision to move.

That said, I still think wayne is a nice and a safe town. I am not quite sure how their schools are ranked currently, but you can get that info on line (schooldigger.com, greatschools.net, and nj monthly for HS rankings).

As for Fair Lawn, it's nice overall. Large Jewish population in Fair Lawn, if I recall it was fairly substantial in Wayne too (not a good or bad thing, just saying there is.) The Radburn section is typically the most desireable. It's not a bad town at all, but when visiting a friend there I remember being on Broadway (the main drag) at night on a Sat and there were a lot of HS students hanging out and they did not look like the most savory bunch. My friend said they had a big rivalry w/ Elmwood Park and it got nasty at times - not Nasty like gang nasty - but just telling you what he said. If you are in Fair Lawn, I would avoid the sections bordering Paterson.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,880 times
We are seniors and looking into moving to the Four Seasons Community in Wayne, NJ
What can you tell me about it?

Old 10-26-2008, 11:15 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,220,563 times
Glomort I have seen the 4 seasons community in wayne. I can't tell you much about it - but I told my husband I wish we were over 55! I really liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey