Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 01:04 PM

6 posts, read 9,761 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I just found this forum and I think its incredible. Good job!
Before opening a thread, I really did read about Newark etc in other thread. But I am not sure where to locate the place I want to stay, so I thought I open a new thread. I hope you dont mind about that.
I want to stay with some friends in New York over Christmas and as the rates are so ridicolously high, even for hostels, I came up with the Hilton Newark at the Penn station. But I have read some bad thing about Newark, so I am undecided whether to pay more and stay in NY, or just staying in Newark and taking the train all the time. Is the area around the train station safe? Can I come home late in the night and feel safe enough to walk back to the hotel? It is really important for me, because I'd rather pay more and be in a good area then staying in a bad neighborhood. I hope you can help me out because I want to make my reservation very soon.
Thanks alot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 01:09 PM

181 posts, read 635,476 times
I have stayed at the Spot hostel at about 127th and lennox - clean and cheap (about $25 per night) in a single sex dorm room - mostly Euro students. I am sure you can find somewhere cheaper and nearer to NYC.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:20 PM

Hey Gessa. Thank you for your answer. Yeah, its not really cheap, but we are three, so its not that expensive either, esp. not for a Hilton. I'd rather would stay in a hostel in NY, but 1) there is nearly no hostel left that enables full accomodation through the period, I would have to switch hostels, what I dont really want to do. Also I dont want to sleep in dorms...I like hostels as long as I am in little dorms or private rooms, but big dorms are definitely not my thing. If its true what I've read, then I am in 30 minutes at Penn station in NYC, so I can live with that. Well, I hope someone can tell me about Newark and the area around the hotel!

Old 10-26-2008, 02:30 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
You have many more options. Convenience wise- Weehawken, N Bergen, Secaucus area has more options. You can save money and it would be more convenient. Just look it up. There are many motels and hotels. Your Newark idea is limiting- convenience and options wise you could do better.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:40 PM

Mhh....I know this sounds rude, but could you give me an example please?
I mean I pay 60 bucks for one night, which is fairly less for a Hilton, isnt it?
Greetings

Old 10-26-2008, 02:44 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
I don't have time to look for you but there are red roof inns and the like. Lots of people get a room for around 60, 70 a night and then sneak a friend in. These places are usually clean and cheap. They are very close to transit in many cases. Some used to have shuttles. You have to look it up.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:00 PM

I just looked around a bit, and I've found some in Secaucus and North Bergen. Is it a safe area? How far is it to go to NYC? Greets

Old 10-26-2008, 04:28 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
If u have the money stay in NY, get a good rate early at hotwire.com or something. Very worth it, gives u more time to enjoy also. Its annoyin traveling from nj into ny totally suck pennstation and secaucus is big.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:34 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,076 times
Stay in NYC. You dont want to commute from NJ..You will regret it..Buses stop at certain hours, only come at certain times, ...go to nYC..

Old 10-26-2008, 06:23 PM

13 posts, read 53,879 times
Stay at the Hilton in Newark. The Hilton is literally 100 feet from Newark penn station. You don't even have to come outside. There is a corridor that connects the two buildings. People on here that are encouraging you to go to other places perhaps are not that informed about Hilton-Newark. Newark penn station has police around and people around. You will be fine. If you stay in any other place in NJ it will not be as easy to get around. You will end up having to pay extra money for a taxi. Plus, again, there is no reason to stay any other place unless you have and are willing to pay extra money to stay in NYC.

The Path trains run 24hrs. Just get a schedule and plan accordingly. NJtransit runs till 1am (maybe a little later). Have fun in NJ/NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey