Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 08:28 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
ok 1st off this isnt a real estate forum this is a NJ forum about the constitution...
Well, me and my 35 posts (36, if you count this one) aren't in much of a position to judge, but in a couple of odd months of part-time persuing of the VA, DC, and NJ city-data boards, I've come across only one other politically oriented topic. The other 99% have all been about real estate and quite reasonably related matters. Politics is obviously a part of living anywhere, but I just haven't seen it come up in a specific sense here very often. On some of the other boards that I periodically visit, that's all that comes up. I sort of like this one as a form of respite from all that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,031 times
Don't know where you live now, but here in NJ the judges act as legislators and go against established law. For example, when Toricelli was running for senator a few years ago, it was obvious from newspaper investigations that he was a corrupt as they come. Shortly before the election, when polls show he was looked upon negatively and would lose the election, the dems petitioned the NJ Supreme Court to change candidates. The Court ignored NJ Statutes that had a time frame for changing, and deliberately allowed the dems to appoint Lautenberg. I know the scheming attorney who came up with this brilliant idea (Angelo Genova, Esq.), and I was disgusted how corrupt and one-sided the political scene has become here in my beloved state. That's just a tiny piece of dirty politics here in the Garden State.

Judges don't actually get to do anything but answer questions that are brought to them. They can't go out and cook up their own cases to rule on. Because of increasing sensitivities among electorates generally, legislatures on many levels have shied away from tackling some issues that they likely should have taken up simply out of fear of offending some key voting bloc or other. That leaves things up to the courts, and for the most part, they don't have anyone to punt to. So who's at fault here. The judges? The legislators? The electorates? Hard to say, but simply claiming that our rights are being ripped off isn't really much of an answer either.[/quote]

Old 02-26-2007, 09:26 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorton View Post
Don't know where you live now, but here in NJ the judges act as legislators and go against established law. For example, when Toricelli was running for senator a few years ago, it was obvious from newspaper investigations that he was a corrupt as they come. Shortly before the election, when polls show he was looked upon negatively and would lose the election, the dems petitioned the NJ Supreme Court to change candidates. The Court ignored NJ Statutes that had a time frame for changing, and deliberately allowed the dems to appoint Lautenberg. I know the scheming attorney who came up with this brilliant idea (Angelo Genova, Esq.), and I was disgusted how corrupt and one-sided the political scene has become here in my beloved state. That's just a tiny piece of dirty politics here in the Garden State.
Well, I live in Northern Virginia now, just outside Washington DC, but as I recall, Genova's argument was that the time limit set in state election law was a procedural one, designed only to assure that ballots could be printed and distributed in a timely and efficient manner prior to Election Day. He was then able to demonstrate that the intent of the law could indeed still be met in such a persuasive manner that a unanimous state Supreme Court was convinced of it, and the US Supreme Court concurred in that by letting the state ruling stand. The opposition argument was that a deadline is a deadline for whatever reasons enacted, and that no unanticipated contingency can ever rise to a level sufficient to disprespect a deadline. Nobody bought that. You can rail away and decry it all as legislating from the bench if you want, but I suspect that your real problem arises not within the law nor within the jurisprudence, but from the partisan fact that what had seemed like reasonable prospects for a windfall Republican victory went a-glimmering as the result of this decision...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: