Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 04:49 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times

Advertisements

Can not break lease without penalty. That excuse would never fly..anywhere..Pay up to leave early..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 05:59 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,018,863 times
If I were in your shoes, I would call the landlord and ask what you can do to help him rent out the place asap. You signed a binding contract, and there are no termination clauses. (makes sense). The lease usually states that you will continue to pay rent untill the LL finds a suitable tenant. If the place rents out for less, then you need to make up the difference until the lease expires. To minimize your loss I suggest having your LL list it with a competant Realtor and offer to pay the fee.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:02 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Go to Lawguru.com There are attorneys there that answer questions at no cost.

Diane G

Old 04-17-2009, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 10,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs View Post
Does anyone know with certainty please...If one is legally able to break a NJ lease and with what if any penalties if one lost his job and has to move out of state for the only job offer available.?
The lease is called;
"New Jersey Assoc of Realtors Standard form of residential lease".
The term on lease states "8 months", and total lease payments state "$8,000".
I also had to put down a whopping $1500 deposit.

As I am not from NJ and I came here and rented short term 8 month furnished beach rental for a temp contract position which ended prematurely and I don't know what my legal renter rights are here in NJ regarding breaking a lease without penalty.

Thank you for your kind replies.
You might be responsible for the residual of your lease. Yes, you might. It all depends on the lease you signed. However if you can find or they can find someone to take over your lease maybe not.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:06 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
I can't tell you how it would be for you but here is how it was on my sons in Old Bridge, NJ.
His lease ended in March. He was moving here to TN in January and had a job here. He gave notice(60 days ar per lease) Rent had to be paid until end of March, they deducted it from his security, and another $150 had to be paid. If they had rented the Apt before then, he would have been refunded.
It was our security, so it was I who lost it.

Go to Lawguru.com - Legal Questions, Answers and Research for Attorneys, Lawyers, Law, Legal Advice and real lawyers will answer your questions free.

Diane G

Old 04-17-2009, 05:24 PM

273 posts, read 684,435 times
First i would talk to the landlord maybe they would be ok with breaking the lease if not i had success with a lawyer in that situation.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:27 PM
rjs rjs started this thread

60 posts, read 218,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Then I suggest you consult with a R/E attorney for free.
Thank's I did that also and they were of help.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:32 PM
rjs rjs started this thread

60 posts, read 218,156 times
Thanks all,!
It turned out ok. I had to stay according to the NJ lease ( Or forfeit security AND be held accountable to the $8,800 lease. (Seems this landlord wrote it up as ( Lease term 8 months and total payments $8,800). So I would have ben on the hook for that amount.
In the end the landlord was freaking out that I may refuse to vacate at lease end, and they couldnt rent the place to summer beach people for $2,000 @ week.!
They actually came down and took me out for dinner and drinks the night before and helped me load my car up to make sure I was leaving.!! How sweet huh.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey