Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:39 AM

11 posts, read 34,704 times

Advertisements

Love this website for getting around the city. You can even pull up streets views so you can get your bearings when you come up out of the subway:
HopStop.com - Subway Directions and Bus Directions for New York City (NYC)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 06:54 PM

27 posts, read 434,016 times
Unhappy NJ Transit

I tried taking the train from Madison to Penn Station in NY...man did that suck. The ride in was okay but then timing the subway to take me to Wall Street was rough. Also, the walk from the Wall Street subway station to Maiden Lane was longer than I figured. The ride back to Madison from Penn was way longer than a car ride back.

I think I'm just gonna drive in to the city from now on. Even taking the PATH would be annoying; the whole point I wanted to take mass transit was to minimize driving. Getting to Newark to take the PATH is a lengthy ride alone for me, not to mention the traffic. Then, the walk from WTC to Maiden Lane is long too. Seems like I can either wait in traffic in my car going to NYC or wait on the trains or walking around getting to mass transit. If I get on the road by 6:00-6:15 am, will traffic be horrendous for me (Rte.280 East to the Holland Tunnel)? I probably won't leave work till about 7:00 pm. How is the traffic then coming into NJ?

Old 11-23-2008, 08:50 PM

98 posts, read 175,201 times
Taking a car into the city and parking in a garage? Good luck with that one, would be interested in knowing how long it had taken after you do it once.

By the way, I have a friend living in East Hanover and works in Merrill Lynch, drives to Harrison and then takes the Path train to WTC, total door to door time works out to 50 minutes.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:00 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,307 times
I'm assuming you are fresh out of school and this is you first job in the city? You're gonna really have to toughen up if you're gonna last in Manhattan---especially in finance.

If you can't handle NJ Transit or the PATH train, you're gonna be in for a rude awakening...not just in regards to public transportation, but in regards to Manhattan in general.

Plus, if you think driving to the PATH station is a "lengthy ride alone", how on earth are you going to handle driving into NYC? Trust me, there is traffic at the hours that you mention. For over a year, I drove everday into midtown because I worked a 4pm to midnight shift and my friends & family didn't want me taking the PATH train home at 1:30 and 2am every night. But even at those off-peak hours, the traffic, tolls, cost of gas, cost of parking, and the wear & tear on my car (first I had to get new struts, then I had to get my transmission fixed---the potholes will kill your car), and did I mention the TRAFFIC, got to be such a spirit killer that I ended up taking my chances on the PATH at 1 and 2am, even though it meant having to walk a 1/2 mile from the PATH station to my car through sketchy Shadyville every night.

Trust me, you do not want to drive into Manhattan, and especially not downtown Manhattan where the streets are not a neat grid and there is still a lot of construction and street closures. By the way, do you have experience duking it out with NYC cabbies and MTA buses and all the other cars on the road? If not, then you have no idea what you are in for. NYC ain't East Hanover.

Your best way to this internship is the PATH station in Harrison, like people have already stated.
I'm not gonna lie---the PATH train IS annoying, but it's still easier (and cheaper and faster) than either driving, or NJ Transit.

Another option is to take the #77 Community Coach bus to the Port Authority and then take the A/C/E line downtown. However, like NJ Transit, this will cost you nearly $20 a day (what kind of internship pays enough to make that cost efficient???), and not too many of the #77 CC buses go to East Hanover.

Good luck. I know it's a pain in the arse. But no one's got it easy these days.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:13 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,002 times
If you don't want to commute why don't you just rent a place in the financial district?

Old 11-24-2008, 01:45 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,493 times
LOL . . . this seems like it's going to be a disaster so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsilni View Post
I tried taking the train from Madison to Penn Station in NY...man did that suck. The ride in was okay but then timing the subway to take me to Wall Street was rough.
It's not like you have to make sure that you don't have more than 10 minutes wait time anywhere, lol . . . and like you're going to have less wait time in a car. Take your iPod, take a book, take the Wall Street Journal and read while you're waiting (and while you're riding on the trains for that matter).
Quote:
Also, the walk from the Wall Street subway station to Maiden Lane was longer than I figured.
What is it, about a third of a mile? lol
Quote:
The ride back to Madison from Penn was way longer than a car ride back.
Except that you're not thinking about rush hour back-ups.
Quote:
I think I'm just gonna drive in to the city from now on.
Are you rich? How are you going to pay for parking?
Quote:
Getting to Newark to take the PATH is a lengthy ride alone for me, not to mention the traffic.
Well, wait until you try to get through the Holland Tunnel and drive from there to the financial district.
Quote:
will traffic be horrendous for me (Rte.280 East to the Holland Tunnel)?
Traffic starts getting pretty heavy by 7:00 a.m. Also, how are you getting from 280 to the tunnel? And do you need to start work that early? At least at that time of the morning, the trains aren't near as crowded as if you try to get to work at 9:00.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:54 PM

I can definitely see the PATH being a better option. I should mention part of my problem with the subway was that I was standing on the wrong side of the tracks for 20 minutes watching my train go by before I realized where I was... How about taking a ferry from Hoboken to Wall St? Seems like it would drop me off much closer to my building. Are they heated in the winter?

Old 11-24-2008, 07:07 PM

98 posts, read 175,201 times
Parking aint cheap in Hoboken either, and you have to go through more traffic to reach there than Harrison. Or are you taking NJ transit into Hoboken first?

Old 11-24-2008, 07:13 PM

I was just gonna drive to Hoboken and miss the traffic going into NYC. Looking at the map and the schedule, the ferry take only 15 minutes to drop me off two minutes from Maiden Lane at Pier 11.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:25 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,307 times
If you drive to Hoboken via the eastern spur of the turnpike and then 495, you'll be hitting Lincoln Tunnel traffic. If you drive there via 1/9, you'll be hitting Holland Tunnel traffic. It would probably take you at least 40 minutes, on a sunny day & with all the traffic gods on your side, to drive from East Hanover to Hoboken. If you can't handle traffic driving to Harrison, you're not going to be able to hand traffic driving to Hoboken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey