Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 04:41 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,355,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
"proper" per?
I.e. w/ respect, rules and values.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:04 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,485,521 times
Well, the craziest costume I have seen for boys in "child size" has been the pimp attire. I thought it was some funny stuff, but would I EVER put my child in it? No.

So I'm at my kids school trunk-or-treat party two friday's ago and a little boy in my 1st grader's class comes over to our car all pimped out. I'm hoping he had no clue what a pimp is/does.

I'm wondering if the girls who get all hoochied up understand the image they are portraying also or if it's just all fun and games? And if they don't, then what's the deal with wanting to be super- "sexy" at the age of 12, 13, 14, 15?

Trust me, you'd never have caught me in fishnet stockings/hot-pants walking around my neighborhood trick-or-treating. And even though my parents never would have let me, it wasn't something I would have been comfortable doing to begin with...

The last time I went trick-or-treating I was in 6th grade. And I dressed up as a clown. Red rubber nose and and all.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
bout 30 years ago we decided letting kids do what they want was good parenting.
we pay a terrible price for this mistake.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:23 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,012 times
Not fighting this one anymore - dressing little girls like tramps is sick. Sometimes - when you are right, that is all you have to be. There is always a lunatic fringe.

Hasta la vista.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:55 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,485,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
bout 30 years ago we decided letting kids do what they want was good parenting.
we pay a terrible price for this mistake.
Yeah...I see that in my nephews...they apparently "learn" through exploring. Especially the oldest.

And that's according to his parents who let him run around like an animal no matter where they are and how DARE YOU if you say, "hey, Johnny (who is 5), could you stop hitting me in the head while I'm trying to eat? " Because Johnny was just trying to learn how hard he could hit you until he'd knock you out. But GOD FORBID I tell little satan to knock it the heck off myself. I'd be slighting his ability to understand.....

1. human nature (his, not mine while he's knocking me upside the head b/c if his parents weren't looking I'd give the kid a good smack right back.)

2. His freedom to be a child which translates into : freedom to get away with whatever crap his parents let him because it's really cute to see a serial killer in action at a young age.

The last time I saw that kid I told him that if he did not stop throwing my 5 month olds toys AT my 5 month old, I would break all of his fingers and his arms. You know what that little S***-head said back to me? Go ahead, try it! So I gave him an indian burn instead. He liked it.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:12 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
I.e. w/ respect, rules and values.
What respect amounts to in whose opinion, and whose rules and values?

Old 11-05-2008, 05:39 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,758,479 times
I can't believe the things these costume companies want us to dress our girls in. It just blows my mind.
I'm lucky, I have daughters that see this as well. You just can't find a girls costume that covers them.

So, we modify and I haven't had to dictate it to them either. My daughters, all softball players, will wear sliding shorts under their too short dresses or skirts and a spaghetti strap top under the plunging neckline. Works for me.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:01 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Quote:
It becomes EEE's problem when those other children begin to be an influence on her properly raised children.... Peer pressure exists for many reasons.

ABSOLUTELY..somebody who gets it

I would be apalled if my daughter was referred to as a Hoochie Mama in high school by even the teachers.

To many kids are allowed to run rampant creating havoc where ever they go all in the name of "expressing" themselves give me a break and talk to me when your sitting in juvie court explaining to the judge he/she was only expressing themselves

Old 11-05-2008, 07:12 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I can't believe the things these costume companies want us to dress our girls in. It just blows my mind.
I'm lucky, I have daughters that see this as well. You just can't find a girls costume that covers them.

So, we modify and I haven't had to dictate it to them either. My daughters, all softball players, will wear sliding shorts under their too short dresses or skirts and a spaghetti strap top under the plunging neckline. Works for me.
One thing that I find interesting is that it's become the norm in many areas for people to purchase pre-made costumes rather than make them/piece them together. Although the latter is obviously more work, I think it's also a lot more fun, and definitely a lot more creative, which I think is a good thing to foster. The challenge often used to be (well, at least with my friends and I) just how bizarre/oddly-conceptual your idea could be and how well you could realize it when making your costume.

While making costumes for Halloween, we acquired skills such as cutting patterns and sewing, making molds, making papier-mâché, soldering--all kinds of things.

When I was a kid (and probably when many of you were kids), most folks saw pre-made costumes as either meaning that the person didn't have much imagination and also that they shopped at Woolworth's or K-Mart OR, primarily for adults, it meant that they had a lot of money to spend at a "costume shop", which were more like theatrical supply houses in those days.

Seems like maybe people got a bit lazy over the years when it came to making Halloween costumes.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:37 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,666,669 times
Quote:
It becomes EEE's problem when those other children begin to be an influence on her properly raised children.... Peer pressure exists for many reasons.
Interesting.

So what you're suggesting is, even though her children are being raised to her standards, and are meeting her standards now (based on her earlier comments), someone else in the vicinity could effect her through magical peer pressure, and completely and utterly decimate years of teachings regarding morality, decency, behavior, dress, etc., etc., with the sound of "c'mon, everyone dresses that way!"

Peer pressure, imho, is a load of crap. The weak give in. The strong do not. Direct correlation to strong parenting skills vs. weak parenting skills, imho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey