Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2006, 01:07 PM

12 posts, read 46,003 times

Advertisements

hey I'm looking to move to NewJersey but I dont know which area would be best
I wanna stay away from the hurricanes, I need a place that would be up to $650/mo in rent for 1 or 2 bedrooms, has tanning salons( spray on tanning )
schools for little kids - my daughter will be turning 4 by the time school starts,
has baby sitter options as I would like to go out at times,
also near stores and parks-beaches and zoos accessible and is in a decent safe enough neighborhood
I know it seems like alot but if anybody knows of any places like that it would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 01:53 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,562 times
I think you might have a hard time finding something decent with everything else you're looking for at that price range. I have all the stuff you're looking for with my 2 bedroom apartment in Old Bridge, but my rent is $1250. A one bedroom in our development is $900+. Hopefully, somebody in a different area will be able to give you some more optimistic information. Good luck to you.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:54 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,330,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_nbx View Post
hey I'm looking to move to NewJersey but I dont know which area would be best
I wanna stay away from the hurricanes, I need a place that would be up to $650/mo in rent for 1 or 2 bedrooms, has tanning salons( spray on tanning )
schools for little kids - my daughter will be turning 4 by the time school starts,
has baby sitter options as I would like to go out at times,
also near stores and parks-beaches and zoos accessible and is in a decent safe enough neighborhood
I know it seems like alot but if anybody knows of any places like that it would be greatly appreciated

Sorry honey, but you couldn't find a 1 or 2 bedroom for $650/month in the pit of hell anymore. That's unrealistic. Any town worth living in in Jersey is asking at least, and I mean the very least, $1000-$1100/mo. for a 2BR. You're looking more likely at $1200-$1500. A studio is probably anywhere from $795 (usually a hell-hole) to $1000, a one BR is close to $1000 at least. Those don't always include utilities either more often than not, you are paying your own utilties, with the exception of water. Here in NJ, I don't think we're all that big on babysitter services. Yes, we have plenty of daycares, but for nightlife, if you don't have older children to watch your younger ones, family or really close friends to depend on to either babysit or share their babysitter, you're probably not going out.

As for hurricanes, well, we don't get hit that often, but when we do, it's the whole state...we're not that big of a state.

Sorry I couldn't give you good news, but I'm being realistic.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:06 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,395,579 times
I have to agree. There is just simply I would venture to say no place anywhere in New Jersey where you can find a one bedroom for $650 or less. If so, they would be in the worst possible neighborhoods in Newark and Camden. You could however rent out a room in someone's place for around that amount though, maybe even (if you're lucky) a whole basement in a townhouse which would essentially be like your own apartment if it had a separate entrance, minus a kitchen, although that too would likely run for well over $650 when you include utilities unfortunately.

Last edited by dullnboring; 09-14-2006 at 05:32 PM..

Old 09-14-2006, 05:29 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
ditto everyone else; for $650/month you'd be lucky to find a really beat up apartment in the worst inner city areas.

My husband and I pay $855/month for a 2 bedroom 10 miles outside of Trenton, in a very nice suburb; we privately think our landlord is crazy for not charging more but we certainly aren't going to complain!

Hurricanes really aren't an issue in NJ unless you live directly on the beach or extremely close to it.

There are tanning salons everywhere.

There is the Philly Zoo in Philadelphia, PA, Bronx Zoo in NYC, aquarium in Camden, aquarium in Point Pleasant, I think there's a big aquarium in Baltimore, Maryland, Popcorn Zoo in south Jersey...maybe a few other little zoos. No matter where you live, getting to a zoo/aquarium and back can be done comfortably in 1 day.

You might want to look into south Jersey, which has beaches, and is a bit more affordable than the rest of the state, although I can't say how much rents would be. Try starting with the Manahawkin area, which is nice, not far from the beach, plenty of shopping and young people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey