Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 06:20 PM

517 posts, read 1,806,494 times

Advertisements

I just learned about this case today.

This is a father from Tinton Falls who had a wife and son (son born in NJ). Married and had son in 2000 and then in 2004 she went to Brazil. Call him when she got there to tell him she wasn't coming back with the boy. He's been fighting to get him back for 4 yrs. now even thought our courts have ruled in his favor. She divorced there, without his consent and married again. She just died in August while giving birth to a little girl. Now new hubby is trying to get legal custody of boy and change his birth certificate (he's a lawyer there).

How amazing that this could be happening.

Father just returned last week, spent time there to see/get back his son and came back with nothing.

I believe David Goldman will be on Dr. Phil in the next few days.

Anyone know about this? So interesting- I am hoping for a good outcome.

Nine days in Brazil, but still no Sean | APP.com | Asbury Park Press
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 06:33 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
OMG- I think I knew this guy's sister when I was a kid.

I think he will get his son back but it will take time- based on reading this article. International law is very very complex. One thing that would help- he should try and learn the language. At least this is a country that the U.S. has good relations with. He is much much more fortunate than many others in similar circumstances in that regard. You would think that with Mom dead things would be cut and dried but these kinds of cases are almost never resolved easily.

I will have to look into this and see if it is the same guy.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:42 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,779 times
dont mean to sound insensitive, but was the mother a mail-order bride?

just wanna get all the facts

why did the wife just decide to not come back?

was there some irreconcilable differences, or did she just get homesick that one trip, and decided to stay

if this has been brewing for sometime why did goldman let her leave in the first place?

Why did goldman agree to the divorce?

Old 11-06-2008, 06:52 PM

From this article it sounds like he never agreed to a divorce. There is no way to know if it was homesickness or if they had serious problems. A dead person can't tell their side and even if that was the case you never really know who is telling it like it is.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:55 PM

Not as far as I know. I read that he's a model and they met in Milano.

She was a teacher.
She called him when she got there, so I think it was intentional.

He let her leave because she was going to visit in her country- she also went with her parents- that are originally from there. I can understand that. I'm from Europe (originally) and I vacation there when I can. I took my son in 2001 (divorced) but we came back after vacation. I can't imagine ever doing such a thing to my ex and especially to my son. The child needs his father, not some new man.

They aren't divorced here. She did it on her end- he never signed anything here. She asked him sign away sole custody for his son- so he could be there with her. He never signed divorce or for child.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
From this article it sounds like he never agreed to a divorce. There is no way to know if it was homesickness or if they had serious problems. A dead person can't tell their side and even if that was the case you never really know who is telling it like it is.
She just died a few months ago.

Homesick- she called as soon as she got there.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:59 PM

This was with Meredith Vieira-

http://bringseanhome.org/

very sad- touching

Old 11-06-2008, 07:27 PM

Thank you for the links.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:19 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Pretty sure I remember reading about this a few years ago when it 1st happened. How sad that he hasn't seen his son for half of his life.

It's amazing that people are allowed to do this.

I'll have to see if I can find more info. The main web site (bringseanhome) is new. I did find the site for the new husband.

How is someone married for that long, then they just up & leave?

I want to help. I guess the best way to help is to get the story out there to as many sites as possible.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Pretty sure I remember reading about this a few years ago when it 1st happened. How sad that he hasn't seen his son for half of his life.

I'll have to see if I can find more info. The main web site (bringseanhome) is new. I did find the site for the new husband.
If you still remember the site for the new husband- please send it to me via DM. I speak portuguese (from Portugal) and would like to read it. Makes me sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey