Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:43 PM

80 posts, read 219,450 times

Advertisements

Whats the matter, JerseyCity201 are you a realtor who's afraid downtown may lose some business? Get over yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 02:49 PM

229 posts, read 923,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post

I dont want to call names, but you are a douche
I don't know of the area or anything, so no comment on that, but this quote is funny as hell.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:27 PM

111 posts, read 319,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isilme View Post
Whats the matter, JerseyCity201 are you a realtor who's afraid downtown may lose some business? Get over yourself.
I am not a realtor but I hate when people try to lie or down play an area to get others to move there. When certain people in Downtown exaggerate I correct them too. I haven't lived in Downtown since I was 14 years old (still live in the city). I could understand if I made things up but I didn't. If you didn't grow up in the city and was thinking of moving to the Beacon wouldn't you want to hear what the area is really like from a local and not just a realtor? Did I lie anywhere in my post?

Old 05-29-2009, 03:29 PM

You may not lie as to given crimes, but you exagerate to suit your purpose. These things don't happen 24/7. Did you ever live in the area of the Beacon (or when it was JCMC)? I mean between Summit and Bergen south of Montgomery. I have for nearly 30 years. I have not been mugged, stabbed, shot etc. And NO, I don't do those things either! Many of my neighbors have lived here over 50 years. Yes its true, I am not wandering around between 2-5 A.M. so I am not such an easy target. I walk to work every day. I try to be sensible about my surroundings. Of couse there are crimes here as there are in every area of Jersey City, just like there are in any large urban area, (even NYC "The Big Apple" - which, as you may recall long ago, was dubbed the "Rotten Apple" for awhile where tourists feared to go for fear of being mugged/shot/etc back in the 70's.) The problem around my neighborhood seems to stem from non-residents who buy houses and rent them out. The owners don't live in these "investments". They never seem to check out the tenants they rent to, aside from the fact that they pay the rent. And usually, thats where alot of the "problems" seem to come from. If people want to move to the Beacon, thats their business. I do think there is a certain segment who would like to not see that happen and reduce the possiblityof new competition for their "more desireable" real estate markets. It doesn't really matter - people outside of Jersey City think of ALL of Jersey City as "a big pile of poo" (someone used that expression here somewhere - I don't think it was you.)

Old 05-29-2009, 03:42 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,311 times
I live in that area (between JFK and Bergen just South of Montgomery).

It's very hit and miss. I am on a nice block, but I'm half a block away from "the hood" (e.g. around Bergen and Montgomery).

I'm happy to be here for now, because I like my short commute, and despite the "roughness" of the neighborhood, I have some some good shopping options (Newark Avenue, and the local C-Town as well as whole foods near work). But if I had 400k to blow on a place, it wouldn't be in the Beacon or anywhere in McGinley Square

But it does seem to get sketchier and sketchier as you go towards and down the slope (basically, the closer to the Montgomery projects, the worse).

I agree that "safety" concerns are a bit overrated. There was a homicide on my block, but it was in someone's apartment. Terrible for them, but didn't have much effect on me.

I am more concerned about "quality of life" issues (obnoxious, loud, ill mannered people, zooming around the sidewalk on their bikes, walking their killer dogs, yeling all kinds of crazy things -- especially around Bergen Avenue)

Old 05-29-2009, 04:19 PM

231 posts, read 587,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post

It's very hit and miss. I am on a nice block, but I'm half a block away from "the hood" (e.g. around Bergen and Montgomery).

I'm happy to be here for now, because I like my short commute, and despite the "roughness" of the neighborhood, I have some some good shopping options (Newark Avenue, and the local C-Town as well as whole foods near work). But if I had 400k to blow on a place, it wouldn't be in the Beacon or anywhere in McGinley Square

But it does seem to get sketchier and sketchier as you go towards and down the slope (basically, the closer to the Montgomery projects, the worse).

I agree that "safety" concerns are a bit overrated. There was a homicide on my block, but it was in someone's apartment. Terrible for them, but didn't have much effect on me.

I am more concerned about "quality of life" issues (obnoxious, loud, ill mannered people, zooming around the sidewalk on their bikes, walking their killer dogs, yeling all kinds of crazy things -- especially around Bergen Avenue)
What is the deal with the killer dogs. In union city, you ain't cool unless you have a killer dog. Fully half of all dogs are pit bulls.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post

GOOD LORD!!!!! I live in the Hood! Great gugamuga!!

Old 06-15-2009, 01:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isilme View Post
I have not been mugged, stabbed, shot etc. And NO, I don't do those things either!
haha im glad you made that clear

Old 06-15-2009, 05:07 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,308 times
CaptinNJ seems to be the only one who finds CaptinNJ amusing or witty.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:18 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
CaptinNJ seems to be the only one who finds CaptinNJ amusing or witty.
every week i have a new guy following me around to make stupid comments. you may not like me openhead but the chicks on this forum get pretty hot when reading my posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey