Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 07:46 PM

31 posts, read 102,047 times

Advertisements

Hello, am thinking about moving to NJ, somewhere around Princeton, Princeton Junction, Allentown area. I believe that Allentown is in a different tax district than the other 2. Which cities in those areas have the lowest property tax rates? Also, what are the relative pluses for each area?
Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 08:11 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,336 times
try searching for "NJ by numbers" in google and then follow the link...you will find all info on property tax, demographics, recent house sale prices, school reports, etc

Old 11-08-2008, 07:24 PM

137 posts, read 522,544 times
Princeton (Mercer County) and Princeton Junction (which is in West Windsor Township, Mercer County) both have higher property prices, and better school and larger school district than Allentown (Monmouth County), therefore the tax is very high.
But because of the school district, the property values hold up better (although everything is in decline now).
Plaisboro (Middlesex County) is right next to both Princeton and Princeton Junction. Plainsboro has slightly lower tax than West Windsor and they share the same school system. Part of Plainsboro is owned and developed by Princeton University.
Beware of the property address - for example, the Princeton zip code, 08540, covers a vast area including West Windsor, Plainsboro, Franklin, Montgomery...etc. Just because a house has Princeton address doesn't mean it's in Princeton.
From Princeton across to Allentown, the lowest property tax rate are probably in Monroe (Middlesex County), Cranbury (Middlesex County), Millstone (Monmouth County), South Brunswick (Middlesex), and Franklin (Somerset) townships. These are more suburb/rural area. Cranbury has its own K-8 but they send their kids to Princeton for high school, so their property price is high too (but not as high as Princeton). Many towns are building new schools therefore taxes are high. Of course it depends how big or new or nice your house will be. But it's common for a townhouse in West Windsor to have $6K-$9K tax, while similar townhouse in South Brunswick can have $4K-$6K tax.

Princeton is a walkable town, although not much of a night life, but lots of cultural activities. It has a not-so-good area too, like any university town. Surrounding areas are all suburbs. If you don't have kids I guess it really depends on where you work (commute - where and how). None of these I would call "cities." If you enjoy city, work and live in NYC - higher pay and more fun.

Prudential Fox Roach (realtor) http://www.prufoxroach.com/ web site lists property tax info on the listing. So does Gloria Nilson (realtor) too New Jersey Real Estate - Gloria Nilson GMAC Real Estate

APP Data Universe is a good place to look up info. APP.com | Monmouth and Ocean counties DataUniverse | Asbury Park Press

If you still like to live in Princeton but want low tax, looks into the development called "Griggs Farm". It's not in downtown Princeton. It was developed by the township. Half of it are affordable housing, but even for the market rate townhouses, the tax is quite low.

Last edited by lwnj; 11-08-2008 at 07:35 PM..

Old 11-08-2008, 07:47 PM

137 posts, read 522,544 times
Oh by the way, if I were you, I would rent for a year first - at least live through the rainy season. Some of the places in Princeton and surrounding areas are prone to flooding when it rains heavy. It's not fun to find 6 foot water in your basement just because of 1 day of heavy rain, but it happens to many houses. Of course no sellers or agents would offer that information. You have to be here to find out from news or road closure. Then buy in winter when the property market in NJ is usually kind of dead. You can find the flood map on the Princeton Township website, but for other towns, you may have to search the newspaper website for old news. Good luck!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:22 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
lwnj has given you some great info.

Here are the tax rates for each area-

Allentown (Monmouth)-
Municipal Tax Rates in Monmouth County, NJ (http://www.housingall.com/oldsite/Taxrates.htm - broken link)

Princeton tax rates-
Princeton Borough - Official Website of The Borough of Princeton, New Jersey :: Assessor - The Tax Assessor

West Windsor (Princeton Junction)-
Township of West Windsor

Old 08-03-2010, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 18,866 times
my husband and i are looking for a good surburb to live ith low property tax in nj for 380,000.00.He commutes to elizabeth and doesnt want to drive more than 45 minutes to work.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 18,866 times
my husband and i are looking for a good surburb to live ith low property tax in nj for 380,000.00.He commutes to elizabeth and doesnt want to drive more than 45 minutes to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey