Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:25 PM

3 posts, read 59,226 times

Advertisements

Hi,
we are a couple expecting our first child. We work in NYC and are looking to move to the suburbs but want a very easy commute. In doing online searches of New Jersey it seems that Bloomfiled is really close to NYC, has a train and has some nice looking (online away) homes under $600,000 (4 beds/2 baths).

Which are the best areas of Bloomfield? How are the schools? Much crime? Good shopping?

We haven't been out there yet and are doing our research first as we are not originally from the area.
Also considering Teaneck.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.
Nottingham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 09:47 PM

37 posts, read 342,544 times
Three people in my last job moved to Bloomfield to raise their families. However, they also said that they would be sending their children to private schools (one already does). Keep in mind that this group works for an educational research firm, specializing in analyzing test scores of NY and NJ public schools. But I would still see what others have to say on this board and of course what the actual statistics say. Google NJ Schools, and click on the NJ ed school site. Once you find Bloomfield schools, you can click on each school in the district, and then view various reports on the schools. One thing I struggle with is how good do the schools need to be (for me)? A lot of people will say that "the schools are good" in an area, but what does that really mean? In the end, you may have to come up with your own definition and figure out what determines a decent school system for you.

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2007, 02:58 PM

196 posts, read 768,021 times
No, Bloomfield is not a good place to raise a family. LOL

Old 02-23-2007, 03:11 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
The Oak View/Brookdale section of Bloomfield (the Bloomfield Avenue exit off Route 3 - take a left and go up a few stoplights and turn right onto East Passaic - that whole neighborhood on your left and right until you reach Broad Street is associated with Oak View Elem. and is quite nice. It's a lovely area right near Route 3 and the Park/Ride into NYC.

Oak View Elementary is considered a sought-after elementary school and property values easily maintain themselves in that area.

I can also recommend a REALLY great daycare near that area. Feel free to PM me for more info!!

Old 02-23-2007, 03:32 PM

49 posts, read 307,050 times
No no no no no!! Don't get me wrong, Oak View & Brookdale are great areas, but once your kids pass elementary school [those two specifically] you won't wanna be sending them into the public schools anymore!! Trust me! I know the town very well and the middle & high school are NO GOOD!

Old 02-23-2007, 06:20 PM

12 posts, read 74,122 times
I agree with those who said the Bloomfield schools are ok through elementary school but not beyond. I live in Montclair which is right next to Bloomfied. I know several families who live in Bloomfield and all send their kids to private school. Montclair has a good school system but it's a very expensive place to live. You may want to check out Cedar Grove or Verona. They're not on the train line but there is bus service in NY.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 22,001 times
Born and raised in Bloomfield. I love the town and still visit quite frequently. However, even if I could afford the insane home prices and property taxes, I would not raise a family there.

The other posts are correct. The north end section of town by Oakview, Brookdale, St. Thomas are still nice, but as you move farther south toward Newark the quality of the town lessens.

I still think it is possible to get a quality education in Bloomfield, as there are still some very good teachers, especially in the high school. However, the negative influence from some surrounding towns (Newark, Belleville, Montclair) have crept into Bloomfield over the past several years.

In fact, the problem has gotten so bad the BOE just passed a resolution holding parents accountable for their child's unexcused absences. They would face fines and possible jail time if thier child cuts class!

As much as I love Bloomfield, I would think it is better to move to a different town. Try Nutley. It's right next door and still very nice. But very expensive!

Old 04-11-2007, 08:24 PM

10 posts, read 77,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottingham View Post
Hi,
we are a couple expecting our first child. We work in NYC and are looking to move to the suburbs but want a very easy commute. In doing online searches of New Jersey it seems that Bloomfiled is really close to NYC, has a train and has some nice looking (online away) homes under $600,000 (4 beds/2 baths).

Which are the best areas of Bloomfield? How are the schools? Much crime? Good shopping?

We haven't been out there yet and are doing our research first as we are not originally from the area.
Also considering Teaneck.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.
Nottingham
Bloomfield isn't as nice as it used to be. It wouldn't be a terrible choice, but it would exactly be a great choice either. I agree with some of the others, Nutley has a great school system and is a nice town. Travel a little further to Verona, Caldwell or West Caldwell for good schools also. Little Falls is also a nice town with decent schools.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 51,129 times
Default It isnt that bad

I live here its a great town. But one section is bad entering east orange. The elementary schools are great. The Middle school is OK. I never went to the High school. I still live here. I go to Essex County Vo Tech in West Caldwell.
Some of the other post arent true.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 21,571 times
I agree that Bloomfield is not good anymore for raising a family. I have been here for over 35 years went to grammar school through high school. Times have changed since I went to school here. I still live in Bloomfield, but I am looking to get out now that I have kids. One kid goes to the public grammar school and the other one goes to private. The middle school and the high school aren't very good anymore. The grammar schools are great, its the middle and high school. I feel very sad about what happened to my town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey