Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 06:39 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,156,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyselfFirst View Post

@Monack - Thank for your responses - they have been very helpful and insightful. I'm sorry to hear about the sale that fell through. Did you still end up purchasing in that area?

I haven't driven around Carteret at night either - but I think I should do that before making any major decisions. I, too, felt like it has a lot of potential to be an up and coming area. I know what New Brunswick looked like 15-20 years ago and it's completely different now - gentrification/revitalization can work.

I think the addition of the ferry will be a major plus. The market is declining, but so is everywhere else. The economy sucks all around and when everything turns around, I'm sure Carteret will too.

I guess I need to go visit the area at night to determine what it's really like. I'm not worried about the school system and the location is what I'm looking for. I just don't want to have to constantly worry about burglaries/ theft/ gangs/ assault, etc.

I did not end up buying in the area. As much as I would have liked a closer commute to the city, realizing that I really wanted a place that I could settle for a while, and not have to deal with it being "up and coming" rather than already established as a good area to live, coupled with the face that my husband and I do want to have children, made it really not the right place for us as this time.

We have instead purchased a great townhouse in Manalapan, and are set to close the end of January. Overall, we really like Monmouth County. My parents live in Monroe Twsp (off of exit 8a) and are only about 15 min away from where we'll be. I like it's proximity to Rt. 9, which gives easy access to the city (though I know that I'll be dealing with traffic most mornings. it's worth it to have a better quality of life at night). I like the fact that the community that I'm moving into feels safe, and that I'll be able to walk around my block, and have it be totally suburban.

If safety is your #1 issue, these up and coming areas are not going to be safer for a while, if at all. I think that the mayor of Carteret is doing a good job with the town, but the downturn in the housing market is not going to help them, and will likely keep the area more economically depressed for a longer period, thus making your return on investment a much longer period, if that makes sense.

Seriously - if you are looking to move on in only a few years, you probably should not be buying yet. The market has not hit bottom.

That was the other thing for us as well - we realized that we were looking at a 10 year at least investment in carteret in order to see a return. And well, while we wanted to settle, we were not sure that carteret was the town we wanted to do that in.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I would actually look into finding a realtor to talk to if you are serious about buying - mine has been worth her weight in gold in regards to not only finding the right places, but helping to negotiate the best price for where we were looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 08:36 AM

4 posts, read 7,031 times
Hi to everyone.. Sweeptheleg, where's that good place you Know for 300? Thanks

Old 11-10-2008, 08:55 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,555,614 times
Quote:
@SweeptheLeg: I have thought about the southern part of Middlesex county and I'm not interested. I definitely do not want to live in Mercer county either. My goal is not to work in Princeton forever - so I plan to be working in NY & finish my program at Rutgers within 2 years

I also can work remotely sometimes, so I won't be commuting 10 times during a week. I'd also be going into the city about 8 times a week. I'm sure about the area of NJ that I'd like to buy my first home, unfortunately, I'm not sure about the safety of the area.

I'd prefer a townhouse to a condo - but i'm not opposed to a condo. And I actually have looked at a couple of 1 bdroom townhouses but thought they were too small.

Yes, I am aware there is a prison in Rahway and I believe there is one in North Brunswick, too. I'm not really worried about criminals who have been caught already; the ones who are roaming freely are a cause for concern.

@Monack - Thank for your responses - they have been very helpful and insightful. I'm sorry to hear about the sale that fell through. Did you still end up purchasing in that area?

I haven't driven around Carteret at night either - but I think I should do that before making any major decisions. I, too, felt like it has a lot of potential to be an up and coming area. I know what New Brunswick looked like 15-20 years ago and it's completely different now - gentrification/revitalization can work.

I think the addition of the ferry will be a major plus. The market is declining, but so is everywhere else. The economy sucks all around and when everything turns around, I'm sure Carteret will too.

I guess I need to go visit the area at night to determine what it's really like. I'm not worried about the school system and the location is what I'm looking for. I just don't want to have to constantly worry about burglaries/ theft/ gangs/ assault, etc.
What don't you like about S. Middlesex or Mercer Cty? Just wondering.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:20 AM

98 posts, read 174,238 times
Check this out for 249k in North Edison:

Edison, NJ, 08820 - Condo/Townhouse/Co-Op Real Estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?loc=08820&mnp=240000&mxp=260000 &sid=6d7e6c6682084c4791162a46547c052a&lid=11036408 83&lsn=1&srcnt=1 - broken link)

2 bedroom townhouse with a garage. Great school district and located right between the points you are looking for.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:21 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,680,496 times
Sunil's Dad is right. I'm amazed that someone is harping on "safety safety safety" yet wants nothing to do with Southern Middlesex and prefers either Rahway or Carteret... Nothing against your personal preference OP, but one of the safest areas in NJ is going to be southern Middlesex county.

My opinion still stands. No matter how up and coming Rahway or Carteret seem, unless you are in it for the long, long haul, it's a bad idea to buy now. I would recommend renting in South Brunswick or Plainsboro, and continue to save your money.

If you save now, you can then EASILY buy something in Edgewater down the road.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:40 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,680,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitt View Post
Hi to everyone.. Sweeptheleg, where's that good place you Know for 300? Thanks
It's in Plainsboro (GREAT schools) in a development called "The Hampshire".

New Jersey Real Estate - Gloria Nilson GMAC Real Estate Home Details

3 BR, 2.5 bath, 315K. It's kinda dated on the inside, but it's defintely a good start.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:54 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,555,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
It's in Plainsboro (GREAT schools) in a development called "The Hampshire".

New Jersey Real Estate - Gloria Nilson GMAC Real Estate Home Details

3 BR, 2.5 bath, 315K. It's kinda dated on the inside, but it's defintely a good start.
I can confirm the schools..............

Old 11-10-2008, 04:03 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,447,168 times
Quote:
I'm a single, childless 28 y/o woman looking for a townhouse or condo in a SAFE yet affordable neighborhood within a reasonable distance of NYC. I work in Princeton and attend Rutgers part time in New Brunswick.

Most of my socializing happens in NYC and I'd like the commute to NYC to be 45min at most.

I have long days and will be coming home at night sometimes and want to feel safe when I leave my home and when I arrive alone at night.

I have pets and need to feel okay walking them early in the morning and late at night. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of Carteret or Rahway. But, I don't know about the safety - and crime statistics only tell you so much. Is anyone familiar with these areas?

I'd prefer a 2bedroom with a $250K cap. I'll do 1 bedroom if need be.

What towns would you recommend?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

If you want to learn about Rahway
Just look at some of my posts
and after that if you still have questions feel free to ask me or dm me

Monack, Thanks for the mention
But
I am not an expert on Rahway but i do know what
goes on in my town, being a brooklyn boy i happen to love this
Town, Our worst area's are better than most parts of brooklyn

If you are not doing anything friday night
come on over to Rahway for the Taste Of Towns 6:30 to 9:30
There will be over 60 tasting stations
Welcome to Rahway Taste!

I will be a volunteer again this year
i have to go to a meeting tonight to see what i will be
doing .
Last year they had me running food from the stations back to the judges it worked out great for me because for every plate the judges got --i got a plate myself..

Old 11-10-2008, 05:28 PM

7 posts, read 15,176 times
@monack: Thank you for all of your input. I have been speaking with a couple of realtors - but their job is to sell me property, so I can only take what they say with a grain of salt. I will continue to research and make my decision based on my needs and desires. Best of luck with your move.

@SweepTheLeg: I am very familiar with Middlesex, Mercer, and Somerset counties and I am not interested in living there. If I were planning to settle down in the near future, I would definitely consider - but I'm just not looking to buy in the midst of suburbia at this point.

The Rahway/Carteret area is a compromise as opposed to looking in the Hoboken/Weehawken/Jersey City/Hackensack/West New York area. I want a mix of urban and suburban.

@BrianG: Thanks for the information. I will definitely look into it.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:04 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,963,207 times
I'm surprised that people are telling you that it's a bad time to buy now. If you can actually get financing you should definitely go for it.

There's plenty to choose from, prices are low, you can bargain, and i've seen rates as low as 4.9%

Just be prepared to sit on it for 5-7 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey