Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:56 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,012 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Has anyone had any experience with Sylvan, Huntington or Kumon Learning centers?

My youngest is not where she should be with language arts despite a lot of attention at home, school and with tutoring. Her teacher felt Sylvan or Huntington could help. From what I've seen, their price tags are quite hefty. I have not heard such great things about Kumon - because they are more affordable.

If anyone has any feedback on any of these centers I'd appreciate if you could share it with me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 12:26 PM
yCf

106 posts, read 533,182 times
Well, I went to Kumon and Huntington when I was in High School. That is a good 15 years ago so I don't know whether my opinion is still applicable to these learning center nowadays.

I felt Kumon is useful because math is all about practice and repetition and the exercises from Kumon will give you that. Your kid has to be willing to do this extra work though. The instructor in Kumon aren't going to force your your kid to do anything.

I thought Huntington was a rip off. I told my dad that and he won't listen. Back then, you sat in the learning and they give you reading and writing exercises and an instructor then grades your work. It helped me a little bit but it is not worth the $$$/per they are charging.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:40 PM

Thanks - I have heard Kumon is decent for math - because math is basically drill & kill. Her problem really is language arts though, I don't know if a bunch of worksheets will do it for that.

Thank you for your feedback!

Old 11-12-2008, 03:16 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,271 times
Have her screened for dyslexia. Even if kids can read (and some read well as most dyslexics are highly gifted) they may have it. Dyslexia requires different types of tutoring. So I'd check and see why she is having issues before chosing a tutoring service.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:49 PM

Not that I'd be against having her checked for it, but I don't know that she shows any signs of dyslexia. She MAY have signs of ADHD and we are having her evaulated for that.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:51 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,573 times
Maybe it would be good to find a high school student or someone that could give her personal tutoring

Old 11-12-2008, 08:05 PM

Thanks Raven...actually, I have both HS and a few college students I could go to. I wanted to try and get someone that has LEARNING techniques though, not just reading along with her. I was thinking of contacting some local colleges education departments and seeing if they could reccommend some students? It's soooo tough. Now my kids are in private school, so some family members (you know family - have to give their 2 cents, even when you don't want it...) are all saying put her in Public and get Sylvan. Uhm, NO. She's happy, adjusted and my town has a mediocre school..she's in a really good school... sadly, to write the tuition check PLUS Sylvan is probalby not do-able.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Not that I'd be against having her checked for it, but I don't know that she shows any signs of dyslexia. She MAY have signs of ADHD and we are having her evaulated for that.
Most kids with Dyslexia have ADHD. Also many are left handed or not hand specific. Please know these kids are very smart, which is why it doesn't become an issue until they are already reading. We just went through this with my daughter. We are doing some specific tutoring and it has been the greatest blessing. We found out she was dyslexic through a screening for ADHD!

Old 11-13-2008, 12:20 PM

Oh and if you can get her classified as dyslexic or having a non specific learning difference she will receive free instruction through the public schools. Most places will do a screening acceptable by the public schools for about $100 (or less). Just something to think about. You can make a direct request to the public schools to test her for free.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 10,381 times
I've looked into Kumon for my daughter and they seemed too into speed and repetition. I also have heard that sylvan and huntington is very $$$ so don't want to go that route. I looked around and found JS excel tutoring. They assigned my daughter a private tutor. So far my daughter is going better and the price for the private tutor is not bad. You can check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey