Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 03:00 PM

25 posts, read 122,850 times

Advertisements

Hi
I'm trying to figure out which northern nj towns have more townhouses and a nice downtown area perhaps nearby. 45min to 1 hour commute to the city and so far I know Morristown has a ton of them but its too far away for my husband to commute to the city from. If we're going to move we need to be closer by train or at an express stop. Any suggestions or specific townhouse communities you know of? Thank you for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 09:26 AM

37 posts, read 125,483 times
There are condominiums in almost all New Jersey Towns. Townhouses are often a "townhouse style condominium". So, if you mean condominium, there are a lot of them. If you mean a townhouse where it looks to the average person like a condominium, those exist also, just not too many of them. I know that is somewhat confusing. I do not know where you are moving from and I do not know what "townhouse" means to you. The difference between a "townhouse" and a "townhouse style condominium" are the forms of legal ownership in New Jersey. In a "townhouse", you own the land the property sits on and in New Jersey those are legally called Planned Unit Developments. They look like condominiums and have common areas like condominuiums and you pay a monthly maintenace fee for the common areas just like condominiums, but, you own the land the townhouse is on.
There are not many. I did a mortgage for one last month in Roseland, New Jersey.
That is closer to the city than Morristown. The townhouse community is named STONEGATE.
With a "townhouse style condominium", the legal entity is "condominium" and you do not own the land under the condo. There are hundreds of such units in most towns.
Ramsey and Mahwah have a lot in north Jersey. Train stations close. While all of New Jersey within 10 to 15 mile radius are built up, the closer you are to the city, normally the towns are older and more crowded. The further west you go from the city, the more the towns are a little more like towns rather than small cities.
Not sure what you are looking for with those type things in mind--more like a city or more like a town.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:19 PM

29 posts, read 81,585 times
Hi there - Union County's Berkeley Heights and New Providence are worth considering. Very nice towns with good schools and the commute is good. There are townhomes in both communities - Berkeley Heights has 12 on the market now ranging in price from the $300's to the $500's. New Providence has the same number (that is a funny coincidence ;-)...) ranging in price from the $300's all the way to some new construction opportunities in the $900's.

In Morris County, there is Long Hill Township - the communities of Stirling, Gillette and Millington - you've got a train station and a number of very nice townhome communities there as well. Prices will be lower here. I just sold a very nice townhome in Gillette - three bedrooms with garage and several decks - $490K.

Continuing along you come to Basking Ridge - loads of options here, loads and loads, including a community called "The Hills", one of, if not the, largest P.U.D.'s (Planned Unit Developments in the country. All sorts of living is available - townhomes and homes. There are two sides - a Basking Ridge side and a Bedminster side. If your commuting time allows, this area is worth exploring. It is a lifestyle - those who live there love it. Loads of life, people walking, pools, tennis courts, clubhouse, shopping right in the community.

Bridgewater is the next stop - this may stretch the commuting envelope for you but we can discuss. I've got a gorgeous two bedroom townhome on the market there - $314,900. Prices are good, but the commute is starting to increase.

Moderator cut: no advertsing, read TOS

Last edited by tahiti; 11-12-2008 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: no advertising

Old 11-14-2008, 09:28 AM

25 posts, read 122,850 times
Yeah, we looked into Berkeley Heights and New Providence a bit--we loved that it was near Summit which has a good downtown area. Are any of those 3 bedrooms? We will be looking at 3 bedroom townhouses.
I have not heard of any of these other towns, that might mean they are too far for us if they are further away than Morristown itself which is too far. Hmmmm, worth looking into though.
Thank you both for your helpful input!!

Old 11-14-2008, 01:59 PM

98 posts, read 175,201 times
New Providence has 900k townhouses?? Where are they?

Old 11-14-2008, 03:15 PM

107 posts, read 383,283 times
Scotch Plains (on the Watchung border) has 3 bedroom townhouses in the Reserve and it's not a bad commute. I take the bus all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey