Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you spending less on Holiday gifts this year?
What recession? I'm spending MORE than last year. 2 4.17%
I figure it will be about the same as last year. 16 33.33%
I am keeping spending to a minimum this year, defiantely less than last year. 24 50.00%
I'm not spending a DIME this year. 6 12.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 02:42 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Are you curtailing spending this holiday season?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
my GF wants just a bottle of perfume, so it looks like I am getting off pretty good.
Hope you have something besides one bottle of perfume?
If it's something she likes a lot, I'd get at least 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Spending less this year only through attrition: four adults and one little b***tard nephew got crossed off this year (I don't count my niece, I don't think they do either). So that saves me a decent chunk of change.
Wow.. what did the kids do to you to deserve that? What I mean is.. one little b***tard nephew then you say I don't count my niece, I don't think they do either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I truly truly hate the entire concept of Christmas ( except the religious aspect)....my parents told me even as a child it was my least favorite holiday
I think this is why I'm the way I am.. my "mother" hates Christmas.
Apparently she's bitter because growing up she never got anything, they were too poor.
That's where she & I are different. I like to give and to see smiles when people open gifts. I've had many holidays ruined by her sour puss, so I try to do the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 04:18 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,158 times
Default Teacher gifts

Quote:
Point taken. Ours was minimized last year too... but this year, more so. I told the family already - KIDS ONLY and don't think I'm joking. LOL You know what KILLS me every year...TEACHER gifts.
Honestly EE I was a teacher for a long time and got tons of stuff. Many teachers don't expect the gifts and would much rather a nice note. I've gotten things on varied price level from lottery tickets to big stuff. The lottery ticket was equally appreciated.

You could always send a note to the other parents and collect $5 per child or a donation. Most teachers would absolutely love just getting the $100 rather than a bunch of trinkets.

If you need any ideas, let me know. :-))

Old 11-12-2008, 04:18 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,012 times
As for my lines....

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ml#post6056894

It goes deep and wayyyy off topic. But we'll just call my family a bunch who lying manipulators who used what was our dream for their own gain, They promised the world only to wind up not delivering once we had gotten back. Their lies and antics help cost us over $30,000 (thirty thousand). They promised us whatever we needed, yet when the time came to give my wife thirty extra minutes of rest when she was getting pretty sick they refused to deliver (hooking up a computer wound up being more important). Not to mention she was given far different treatment than my brother in law. As far as my nephew goes, he has become quite the manipulator and fire starter. Worst thing to happen to the family. My newborn niece gets maybe a third of the attention my nephew gets. I feel bad for her.

If my words sound harsh, they're not nearly as harsh as what I'd really like to say. They lie, they manipulate, then when it comes time to deal with the mess they create they turn their backs and try to pretend it'll just go away.

God help 'em all if/when I figure out a legal way to go after the full amount of our losses.

Okay...I'll stop for now. I'm getting heated here.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Do you think your Dad would like another daughter???
Seriously, I was about ready to put my address in too.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I do the same thing Kate... I swear, I cry every year when I see a 5 yr old asking for socks & underwear. AND TO THINK poverty is relative so Children in other parts of the world are even WORSE off.
Funny story, when my very well off nephew was about 3 all he asked for for Christmas was a bathrobe. So I got him a Disney robe w/ his name embroidered on it. That kid was so excited he went around kissing everyone and thanking them for his robe. I kept teasing my sister, "Oh poor little rich boy didn't have a robe."

He's just a kid who appreciates things though. I mean he was beyond thrilled w/ the Superman underwear I got him when he was two.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:31 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,689 times
With 5 kids and 4 grandkids, I send the grandkids money for their college fund and the two oldest get gift cards, the three that reside at home, get what I can afford, decent clothes, socks and small items but useful everyday items.

I have the same amount of money each year, I put $20 a wk aside just for Christmas. Some years I save a little, and this year I hope to save some also.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:36 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,681 times
I'm spending the same with one difference. For my family on the west coast, we are donating $ to everyone's favorite charity and we asked the same in return. Honestly, Hubby and I don't need another sweater nor do they.

Shanny

Old 11-12-2008, 05:13 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,095 times
Quote:
I am, big time. And honestly, I think it's a good thing... I am not into the holiday's being all about spending yourself silly.

What are you doing?

OOPS spelled definitely wrong in the poll... forgive me!
I definitely don't believe in spending yourself silly either just for one holiday. I give coworkers homemade treats and only shop for a few kids, sibling, husband, mother, and best friend...no more. I also put a cap amount on each person.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:15 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,095 times
Quote:
Point taken. Ours was minimized last year too... but this year, more so. I told the family already - KIDS ONLY and don't think I'm joking. LOL You know what KILLS me every year...TEACHER gifts.

I'm a teacher.. don't usually get gifts though.. some small things here and there depending on the parents.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:58 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
Honestly EE I was a teacher for a long time and got tons of stuff. Many teachers don't expect the gifts and would much rather a nice note. I've gotten things on varied price level from lottery tickets to big stuff. The lottery ticket was equally appreciated.

You could always send a note to the other parents and collect $5 per child or a donation. Most teachers would absolutely love just getting the $100 rather than a bunch of trinkets.

If you need any ideas, let me know. :-))
Back in daycare, I'd drive to the Coach outlet when there was a sale and get wristlets or wallets or something...and they all LOVED me. LOL Nowadays we do the "class" gift but then EVERY kid seems to get an individual as well...as I've mentioned in some other posts, one of my kids really has been getting some extra attention from others, and I'd love to say "thanks" with a small gift. And I don't want them to be the only one w/o a gift. *sigh* It's tough though. Last Christmas I got lucky, I was at a fair and there was man who was legally blind who carved trinkets, he made the most beautiful miniature Nativity scenes and his wife affixed holders to make them ornaments. I LOVED them and bought up pretty much all of them. They were not expensive, I thought they were perfect and gave them to a bunch of teachers - who LOVED them (mind you my kids attend Catholic schoo...) What stunk is year end. At that point my hubby's business had just closed and he was out of work and we were TIGHT. And I came up with TINY gifts because again, I didn't want the kids feeling bad that they were the ONLY ones not giving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey