Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you spending less on Holiday gifts this year?
What recession? I'm spending MORE than last year. 2 4.17%
I figure it will be about the same as last year. 16 33.33%
I am keeping spending to a minimum this year, defiantely less than last year. 24 50.00%
I'm not spending a DIME this year. 6 12.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:47 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times

Advertisements

I am, big time. And honestly, I think it's a good thing... I am not into the holiday's being all about spending yourself silly.

What are you doing?

OOPS spelled definitely wrong in the poll... forgive me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 08:56 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Same*

*It was minimized last year.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:59 AM

Point taken. Ours was minimized last year too... but this year, more so. I told the family already - KIDS ONLY and don't think I'm joking. LOL You know what KILLS me every year...TEACHER gifts.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:23 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I am, big time. And honestly, I think it's a good thing... I am not into the holiday's being all about spending yourself silly.

What are you doing?

OOPS spelled definitely wrong in the poll... forgive me!
I am going to grace my family with my presence. That right there is gift enough! hahaha

Seriously though, my Dad said he wants nothing, my sister said she wants nothing, and my GF wants just a bottle of perfume, so it looks like I am getting off pretty good.

My father on the other hand, goes nuts. He wants to buy me and my sister new plasma TV's for Christmas which I will not let him do.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
I am going to grace my family with my presence. That right there is gift enough! hahaha

Seriously though, my Dad said he wants nothing, my sister said she wants nothing, and my GF wants just a bottle of perfume, so it looks like I am getting off pretty good.

My father on the other hand, goes nuts. He wants to buy me and my sister new plasma TV's for Christmas which I will not let him do.
Do you think your Dad would like another daughter???

Old 11-12-2008, 09:34 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Do you think your Dad would like another daughter???
LOL. He probably wouldn't mind! I will send you an application and check to see if he's hiring.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
LOL. He probably wouldn't mind! I will send you an application and check to see if he's hiring.
YEY! My 'dad' was a real '#*CK and I need a better one!

I'm nice, loyal, very devoted to my family even though they RARELY deserve it, and I make family outings A LOT of fun... LOL

Old 11-12-2008, 09:43 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Same-but we never spend a lot anyway

Old 11-12-2008, 09:48 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,253 times
Same as otto.... I keep it to a minimum all years. I like to use holidays, birthdays, etc., to buy a gift thats practical for friends and family, not something that will get tossed after a week or so.

The kids don't always like it right off, but now that a bunch of them are adults, they get it more (sometimes it was software, bonds, shares of stock, baseball gloves (physical fitness), whatever - something useful now and in the future).

Rarely have I bought video games - except for one cousin. He was born premature, and video games have been INCREDIBLY beneficial to him over the years for developing precise hand-eye coordination.

Yeah, I know, I sound like one of those people who refuses to own a TV, doesn't read the newspaper, and thinks those computer-doohickey's are just plain wonky....

Of course, as you guys know, I'm not

I just don't like the idea of buying something that will be ignored in a week....

Old 11-12-2008, 09:52 AM

I've TOLD my family what to get my kids this year. NOT because I like to be that way, but because they get SO MUCH and then I have to put it in the attic because there is no room in their already overstuffed w/ toys and such rooms. The excess makes me SICK.

My kids don't know it yet, but when birthday's roll around in '09...I'm putting "No gifts, please bring a non-perishable food item" which will be donated in person w/ my kids to a local food bank. THEY WANT FOR NOTHING even in harder economic times. They will get gifts from family, so they will just have to make due. I'm not raising spoiled, materialistic brats...just not happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey