Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:11 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
It's not really a question of scarring. Are they actually able to help or are they just in the way? There are kids at that age that are mature enough to help but many are not all that helpful. I would not assume. If the people running the place have no problems with kids being there it is probably o.k. but I would never assume.
Once again, only the parent would know if the child was actually mature enough to be helpful but there are a lot of things a 7 year old can do to help; even if it’s just putting napkins on the table when they setup or handing out silverware. I just don’t see why this thread received such animosity, as another poster indicated 2nd graders are often Boy & Girl Scouts – would anybody balk if they went to help serve Thanksgiving dinner at a senior center? Now those are some people who would scar a kid for life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 01:12 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,345 times
YES. My father did something similar with me at that age. I still remember it to this day. These are good experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC JC Mom View Post
one of my kids is 7 years old and with Thanksgiving coming around the corner I was thinking maybe we could both volunteer to help a soup kitchen with the cleaning or serving - but where do I start looking for info. - or is 7 years old too young - i dont think so.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:20 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
OK - here is what I got!

The organization my friend works with is the first link. It's PREDOMINATELY in Bergen County, but there are areas in some surrounding counties as well that they can lead you to. The search tool on their home page is really great. If you have any questions you can DM me and I can get them to her. Or you can call the organization directly.

Welcome to the Bergen Volunteers web site!

She also recommended these two sites. She said she likes both but the first is the one she likes best for volunteer opportunities out of the area.

VolunteerMatch - Where Volunteering Begins

Volunteer at 1-800-Volunteer.org, America's Address for Volunteering

I also thought I'd put this link out there from Catholic Charities, they can really get you to a place where your needed and will feel comfortable as well.

Catholic Charities USA - Providing Help. Creating Hope. (http://www.catholiccharitiesusa.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=1174 - broken link)

Thanks for being so helpful, EEEPNJ! I'm sure we'll be able to find something we can do as a family.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:21 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Default Stupid ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I said what I got out of the post so obviously it was something that I assumed. My church sponsors a soup kitchen - in a nice, safe area - and I've never seen anyone there who would scar a child for life. Most of the people in the area know the rules and there looking for something other than food, don't bother coming. Stupid me but I just can't imagine a parent taking their child to a homeless shelter in the projects. But whatever you seem to be in attack mode so I'll just leave you alone and continue to address my comments to the OP.
None of us can possibly imagine some parents arrive at horrendous decisions but it happens every day ? While there has been a lot of talk on here about nice, safe soup kitchens and that we can't imagine a parent taking their child into an usafe area/environment we have yet to see the OP clarify what her intentions were. I'm not sure about everyone else but since she hasn't clarified this after 6 pages of posts we are correct in assuming the worst.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:28 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
It's up to the org to decide if kids are o.k. for any particular purpose. They would have the final word. Not the volunteer.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:30 PM

Default I have children.....

Quote:
Uhm, yeah, after my child watched (behind my back) the local evening news and saw a story about a dismembered child found in the woods, a shrink hacked to death in her office, and children being bombed in Iraq ... let's just say unless you want to pay my kids therapy bills, no watching the local news... THAT is more dangerous than taking them to an environment you are comfortable with. As I said, you should KNOW the shelter or kitchen you are going too... they do vary greatly.

Again, do you have children?
I have children as I posted a few pages back ? Two daughters one now 38 and the other 25. As far as the news goes the point was they could visually see human suffering and learn how lucky they were without actually having to be exposed to any physical danger or emotional harm. Of course whether they watch the tv or not is up to you. However, if you think they are in more danger from watching tv than being physically present in a questionably safe location then I'm not sure that anything I could say could convince you otherwise ?

Old 11-13-2008, 01:40 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
It's up to the org to decide if kids are o.k. for any particular purpose. They would have the final word. Not the volunteer.
Well I would hope that any parent who would take the time to assess if their child was mature enough to handle this type of situation would also take the time to find out the rules of the organization. Anyway I guess this thread had outlived its purpose sine the OP stated on the first page that she's going to take her daughter to the church and help assemble food baskets - now we're just debating over good parenting.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:45 PM

Default Sharing opinions

Quote:
Then do us all a favor, and stop sharing your opinion on what others should do with their kids. Someone came in to ask a decent question and you're off on a tirade. I do a lot of volunteering, I see children involved...yes there are some aspects that they should not be involved in.... but others are just fine. I think we have too many sheltered brats today. THAT is a bigger problem.
In checking the initial question by the OP I find that she asks us to share our opinions on what she should be doing with her children..... in regard to her presence at a soup kitchen, etc ? If you wish to share your opinions regarding this issue thats fine but I'm not sure what gives you the right to tell others to stop sharing their opinions. The bottom line here is that the question to be answered is not whether a child should be involved in charity work.....but should a 7 year old be involved in the environment of a soup kitchen ?

Old 11-13-2008, 01:48 PM

Default Sheltering ?

Quote:
Yes, you are right. Sheltering them and making them think life is freaking DISNEY is the way to go.

At 7.......yes.....I would think so ?

Old 11-13-2008, 01:51 PM

Default Kind Hearted

Quote:
Apparently the kind hearted FlyerFan doesn't spend too much time at such places. (Did I mention I'm a Devil's fan? )
Your are correct.......I don't spend a lot of time at soup kitchens or shelters, however, I do donate to many causes....for people and animals ?

Brodeur is out for 3-4 months....with any luck he will slip on a banana peel during rehab and be out for the playoffs too Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey