Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 02:35 AM

2 posts, read 16,918 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I (both Brits) are looking to move from overseas to take jobs respectively in New York and Washington. We'd like to find somewhere in between that we can both commute from - we wouldn't do the journey every day but at weekends and 1-2 days during the week.

Is this a workable idea? Is PA or NJ a better bet? Any recommendations for suitable locations? Priorities would be to live somewhere attractive and not too urban with easy access to outdoor activities and with relatively easy and even commutes in both directions.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 05:52 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,948,630 times
How about living near Wilmington, Delaware...it's almost midway. It's a three hour train trip from NY/NJ and if you fly, by the time you get to the airport, go through the check-in and screening, it doesn't save any time. Philly is one hour closer to DC, but it's still a fair distance for a daily commute to NYC.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:04 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,560,706 times
You probably know this already, but the distance between DC and NY is about the same as the distance between London and Manchester (actually, a little more than that). It's going to be a nasty commute either way.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:23 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,098,308 times
ditto NYMTman, that is a terrible commute for both you and your husband, even at off-peak hours. I live in central NJ, near Trenton; I can drive to NYC in about 2 hours off-peak and to D.C. in about 3 hours off-peak. During rush hour/peak times, add an additional hour. If you are really intent on doing this, I would look at southern NJ, which is not urban and has several state parks, camp grounds, and is not far from the beach. But in my opinion, I think you'll both end up miserable.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:53 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobinka View Post
Hi, my husband and I (both Brits) are looking to move from overseas to take jobs respectively in New York and Washington. We'd like to find somewhere in between that we can both commute from - we wouldn't do the journey every day but at weekends and 1-2 days during the week.
As you can maybe tell, a lot of people are going to be aghast at your idea, but it's perfectly workable if you are flexible and tolerant enough to live that lifestyle. I live and work in the DC area, and I worked for many years with a woman (now retired) who commuted here from Boston quite happily on much the same basis as what you seem to have in mind. To her, the shuttle flight was nothing more than a trip to the grocery store with a chance to get some reading done thrown in. If you're up for (and can afford) it, there's no reason not to go for it.

My first thought was exactly [viralmd]'s...Wilmington, Delaware. It's just about halfway between NYC and DC and there is regular train service both ways that will connect you directly to the public transit systems of your two respective destination cities. There are some perfectly delightful areas around Wilmington (which itself is not too urban), and it's close to a lot of different stuff. This is certainly not an 'everyman' sort of thing that you're contemplating, but to have had the idea at all, it must have some appeal to you, so I'd say look into the particulars. You won't at all be either the first or the last to go down this road, if you choose to follow it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: