Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 07:03 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,347,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
What do you think John McCain would say if he found out one of his summer homes was in Newark?

YouTube - Bill Maher Interviews Cory Booker
I should think after the Hanoi Hilton McCain could live anywhere and survive. A definite no brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 07:32 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,503,723 times
I think he has done some good for Newark so far, I think he truly cares for the city and wants the city to progress. As somebody that was born and raised in Newark I sure hope he succeeds.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:45 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,308,084 times
he should not run for anything until he can turn around Newark

If he can make newark the next big office park near Manhattan, he run for maybe governor or senator, then try for the Presidency

Mayor of a crummy city, and Prez of a crummy nation are two completely different things

He is just not qualified yet

Old 11-14-2008, 08:08 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,608,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
he should not run for anything until he can turn around Newark

If he can make newark the next big office park near Manhattan, he run for maybe governor or senator, then try for the Presidency

Mayor of a crummy city, and Prez of a crummy nation are two completely different things

He is just not qualified yet
Agree..it's a long long road from Mayor to President and I think it will take more than 8 tears..12-16 another story

Old 11-14-2008, 08:19 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,410,974 times
Well, let's think about this for a moment. Right now, sure, he has a lot of momentum going for him and his political machine is spinning everything the right way but w/ Obama just been elected and for sure running for a second term Corey's chances to screw everything up have just increased. I was watching a documentary on PBS on Obama where they laid out the "Obama Plan" which was basically once he was elected Senator of IL and after his speech on the 2004 DNC he was to keep a low profile for the first 2 years to minimize his exposure to criticism so that his adversaries wouldn't have too much ammo against him. Corey Booker will not have that luxury, his record (and believe me, I'm hoping he does well in Newark) will be more detailed and there will be more material to judge him by.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:04 AM

83 posts, read 278,427 times
Default Corey Booker Documentary

Anyone interested in Cory Booker might well want to check out the 2005 Documentary "Street Fight" which chronicled Booker's first (2002) run against Sharpe James. Was a very interesting movie that focused largely on Booker due to James refusal of most access. It is available on video and has been shown on PBS Frontline.

diogenesNY

Street Fight (2005)

Old 11-14-2008, 10:01 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,917,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
I agree. Booker has done more for Newark in one year than Sharpe James did in a decade.
Agreed. BUT I think Presidential talk is a bit premature at this point.

Now that Obama is elected it seems both parties are trying to get the non-white candidates out there. I never heard Bobby Jindal mentioned so much for the GOP. I think people need to realize that this is silly. Hillary had a lot of supporters - let's pull out another woman. Obama wins (WOO HOO...sorry, reflex...) and now it's all about a "minority" candidate. I think BOTH parties should stick to finding a GOOD candidate and not worry about the packaging as much.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:33 PM

517 posts, read 1,802,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Obama wins (WOO HOO...sorry, reflex...) and now it's all about a "minority" candidate. I think BOTH parties should stick to finding a GOOD candidate and not worry about the packaging as much.

I agree with you on this and know many people who are thinking/saying the same.
It may be seen as prejudice by some but it's not. I am all for Obama and am sooooo happy he won.

But at the same time, I am noticing all this talk about "minority" leaders being moved up or being mentioned more than before. If they can do great things for our country- by all means, but I hope it's not mostly based on "being a minority".

I think this will be a good time for minorities to have a chance that they may have never had before- but they have to earn it like anyone else.

Same if McCain had won- possible because presidents have all been white. There was talk about racism- that would've been a shame if that's why people wouldn't have voted for Obama.

It shouldn't be about race- before or now. May the better person win.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:05 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,347,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Agreed. BUT I think Presidential talk is a bit premature at this point.

Now that Obama is elected it seems both parties are trying to get the non-white candidates out there. I never heard Bobby Jindal mentioned so much for the GOP. I think people need to realize that this is silly. Hillary had a lot of supporters - let's pull out another woman. Obama wins (WOO HOO...sorry, reflex...) and now it's all about a "minority" candidate. I think BOTH parties should stick to finding a GOOD candidate and not worry about the packaging as much.
Great points...

Old 11-15-2008, 11:43 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,461,132 times
[quote=MMTeacher;6166130]I agree with you on this and know many people who are thinking/saying the same.
It may be seen as prejudice by some but it's not. I am all for Obama and am sooooo happy he won.

But at the same time, I am noticing all this talk about "minority" leaders being moved up or being mentioned more than before. If they can do great things for our country- by all means, but I hope it's not mostly based on "being a minority".

I think this will be a good time for minorities to have a chance that they may have never had before- but they have to earn it like anyone else.

Same if McCain had won- possible because presidents have all been white. There was talk about racism- that would've been a shame if that's why people wouldn't have voted for Obama.

It shouldn't be about race- before or now. May the better person win.[/QUOTE]

I agree with last statement.

The reason they're being mentioned is because the thought of a non-white male candidate for President actully being elected wasn't a consideration pre Nov.4. Obama's election to the highest office means that qualified non white males have an equal shot at any office. It has taken until this point in history for the better person winning being a reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: