U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:27 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,289,287 times

Advertisements

So I've got a ton of parking tickets before all in new jersey, usually I just pay them. I got one in Manhattan [parking garage to metmuseum was blocked off] so I parked near a bus stop half my car was over the paint and i got a 125 dollar ticket. I'm not gonna fight it, but what will happend if I don't pay it?? I heard of a couple people who throw their ticket away if it was out of state. I'm mostly worried about hurting my credit or getting arrested if this happends again in nyc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 10:36 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,048,688 times
Yes. Pay the ticket. If you don't pay it, and they go after you, you could actually lose your right to drive in NY, and they could arrest you for that unpaid ticket. Just pay it. I know that $125 is a lot of money, but the amount of money it could cost you otherwise is a LOT more.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:39 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,596,152 times
NY and NJ are reciprocal states - meaning not paying a ticket in NY will result in the same consequences as not paying a ticket you got in NJ.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:44 AM

6,170 posts, read 12,441,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
So I've got a ton of parking tickets before all in new jersey, usually I just pay them. I got one in Manhattan [parking garage to metmuseum was blocked off] so I parked near a bus stop half my car was over the paint and i got a 125 dollar ticket. I'm not gonna fight it, but what will happend if I don't pay it?? I heard of a couple people who throw their ticket away if it was out of state. I'm mostly worried about hurting my credit or getting arrested if this happends again in nyc.
Pay the ticket. Or fight it. But it sounds as if you know you were in the wrong, and can't possibly prove otherwise. If you go to the Business Ccenter in NYC, on John street in Manhatten, and "fight" the ticket, they may offer to reduce it, just to get it done quickly. One way or another though, you have to pay it.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:36 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,289,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Pay the ticket. Or fight it. But it sounds as if you know you were in the wrong, and can't possibly prove otherwise. If you go to the Business Ccenter in NYC, on John street in Manhatten, and "fight" the ticket, they may offer to reduce it, just to get it done quickly. One way or another though, you have to pay it.
haa. who has time for that. im gonna pay it. i knew what i was doing. ny is no less money hungry. there are guys whose sole job is to monitor street parking. signs are also made unclear and hidden on purpose because it means more money. It's a business in newark to tow cars, then charge 100 plus 30 for each day it's stored in this privately owned mud field until the owner picks it up. many times they never get their car back because they cant pay the bill.. then they steal to make up for it

Old 11-17-2008, 12:51 PM

5,440 posts, read 16,246,771 times
parkingticket.com used to be a client of ours, but I cannot speak to whether or not they work. They are local (Paramus).. and specialize in NYC parking tickets.

Quote:
So confident, that if your ticket is not dismissed or reduced, you pay us nothing!

Old 11-17-2008, 02:14 PM

22,484 posts, read 30,043,654 times
IDK, with technology going the way it is, it won't be long before they find you no matter where you are.

A few years down the road you might get pulled over & arrested because you have tickets in another state.

Also remember that it goes to who the car is registered to.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:59 PM

1,495 posts, read 4,874,476 times
you're lucky you didn't get towed! I parked once at a bus stop (didn't look like a bus stop to me) and got towed and ticket so be happy you only got a ticket. If you don't pay a ticket in NYC you will definitely get in serious trouble. They don't play around with that.44

Old 11-17-2008, 05:12 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,228,737 times
You should fight it to get it reduced..However, if you dont do nothing - a warrant will be issued and extra fines will be imposed. You call.

I hate parking in NYC. You are screwed if you park on street. You are also screwed by the prices the garages charge...

Old 11-17-2008, 05:18 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,467,369 times
best thing I ever did was apply for a munimeter card. I keep a $20 one in my wallet with me always and if I can never find a cheap garage I just park on the street and use the meter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey