Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 05:18 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,355,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Hell, I remember waiting on those gas lines and I'm 54.
Maybe I sold you a can of Tab or Fresca. My friends and I only sold it once out by the old Exxon on rt 1 in Edison... back when trees still existed in bulk in Edison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 05:28 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,754,723 times
Im in my 30's and I remember the recessions in the 80's and 90's. I dont remember it making a dent in our family because we were broke anyway. I look back and I simply cannot imagine how my parents fed and sheltered 4 people (and sometimes 5 or 6 depending on who needed a place to crash for a while) on what they made. My mother was a miracle worker.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:34 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,355,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Im in my 30's and I remember the recessions in the 80's and 90's. I dont remember it making a dent in our family because we were broke anyway. I look back and I simply cannot imagine how my parents fed and sheltered 4 people (and sometimes 5 or 6 depending on who needed a place to crash for a while) on what they made. My mother was a miracle worker.
I think that too... I remember pointing out to my bro. how amazing it was that my parents took 5 kids to Disney World in 1976. We had a pop up camper and camped in Fort Wilderness..... So now you parents realy understand my admiration for mine...

My bro. responded, "Oh well things like WDW were much cheaper then."

It was a huge sacrifice that I will always remember.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:35 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,907,214 times
Lightbulb Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
If I had a time machine I wouldn't go forward, I'd go back. I'd buy Intel & Microsoft and Yahoo. Then I would sell and put all my money under my mattress since we never know what bank is going to go under next.

Yes, hind sight is 20/20.

So what will we be talking about 5 years from now?...too much speculation. One day at a time, I say.
Boy you read my mind!! Also I would find that nerdy guy named Bill Gates. I would hook up with him in a heartbeat. Bwhhhaaaaaaaaa

I would take all my birthday money, christmas cash and Holy something or another celebration money and roll it all in to Microsoft or Dell or ATT stock. With the leftover cash, I would pick up some real estate.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:16 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,950,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Hell, I remember waiting on those gas lines and I'm 54.
Remember the color flags? My Mom would come home and yell out the car window "Go get grandpa and tell him the station on Tonelle has gas, get down there NOW!"

Old 11-17-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
Maybe I sold you a can of Tab or Fresca. My friends and I only sold it once out by the old Exxon on rt 1 in Edison... back when trees still existed in bulk in Edison.
Did you sell Mello Yello? LOL

Old 11-17-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
I think that too... I remember pointing out to my bro. how amazing it was that my parents took 5 kids to Disney World in 1976. We had a pop up camper and camped in Fort Wilderness..... So now you parents realy understand my admiration for mine...

My bro. responded, "Oh well things like WDW were much cheaper then."

It was a huge sacrifice that I will always remember.
Funny you say that. I really want to take the kids to WDW next year, before they are older. We've never been. I told DH I still want to go, but it may be driving, no air. It may be some CHEAP hotel (or maybe staying at a friends) and NOT a fancy resort like we had hoped. It can still be done.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:09 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Funny you say that. I really want to take the kids to WDW next year, before they are older. We've never been. I told DH I still want to go, but it may be driving, no air. It may be some CHEAP hotel (or maybe staying at a friends) and NOT a fancy resort like we had hoped. It can still be done.
driving will run around $200 in gas, and you can get some inexpensive rooms on Irlo Bronson Hwy for about $50 -$60/night (and not a fleabag either!)....

Old 11-18-2008, 05:19 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,661,006 times
Default Is the sky really falling? Or is it a media hype?

Although frightening, there isn't much the average person can do to control it. We can only prepare ourselves by buttoning our belts, cutting back on unnecessary spending.

The other day when I was shopping I wondered about the recession. The stores were quite crowded, people with packages and EVERY kid had a cell phone. When going out to dinner the other night (Hibachi) there were people with several children waiting for tables. I can't believe that things for the average person are as tough as the media portrays.

All the money that was spent on the presidential election television ads by both candidates could have been put to a better use for the US.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
driving will run around $200 in gas, and you can get some inexpensive rooms on Irlo Bronson Hwy for about $50 -$60/night (and not a fleabag either!)....
Irlo Bronson Hwy? Where is that? Kisimme? Orlando? Not familiar w/ the name. Thanks Tahiti!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: