Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:22 PM

5 posts, read 11,093 times

Advertisements

I need some advice about Passaic Co., Totowa specifically. What is the area like? I've never been to Jersey, & my fience just got transfered there. I'm looking for places to rent. Any feed back about the area would be wonderful... crime, what I should expect to rent a 2 bedroom house or apartment, surronding areas I should also consider looking into that are nice....
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 09:31 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
Totowa is a working-class italian nabe

You are pretty close to that big mall, forget what it was called though

you are gonna have lots of traffic during rush hour when you try to head into NYC

Old 11-17-2008, 09:55 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
It irritates me to no end when people who are not from here call it "Jersey".
Proper names are in order until you get familiar.
It is a term of affection, but also used out of context.
So it is New Jersey until you get acquainted.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:21 PM

5 posts, read 11,093 times
Default New Jersey

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:27 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGOOLIE View Post
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!!
Not a personal attack, but more a general statement.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:47 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
Totowa is a great town. dont let the fact that paterson borders it bother you. there is a sort of "barrier" with the hillcrest section--or as some people call it the "totowa section"
the mall that NJ Chutzpah is talking about it Willowbrook (in wayne). there are other malls in Wayne as well--its the land of malls.
lots of Italians, nice town, good schools, central to everything

Old 11-18-2008, 02:03 PM

133 posts, read 419,142 times
Totowa is pretty nice I guess, I always though of it as Lodi's better looking brother. Union blvd towards Paterson sometimes is not a pleasant area and traffic can be hectic because you're close to Route 80 and Willowbrook mall traffic.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:00 PM

625 posts, read 3,634,990 times
Wow the disdain for Paterson on this board is unbelievable. You would think all residents of Paterson are bums, welfare recipients, drug dealers, or just plain crooks, Totowa is nice but please don't get a big head like most people just because you don't live in Paterson

Old 11-18-2008, 03:13 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Wow the disdain for Paterson on this board is unbelievable. You would think all residents of Paterson are bums, welfare recipients, drug dealers, or just plain crooks, Totowa is nice but please don't get a big head like most people just because you don't live in Paterson
i didnt mean to sound like i was talking down paterson. i am from there, and actually miss it. i just dont like people using paterson as an excuse not to think of totowa because they are connected.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:16 AM

625 posts, read 3,634,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i didnt mean to sound like i was talking down paterson. i am from there, and actually miss it. i just dont like people using paterson as an excuse not to think of totowa because they are connected.

Ok thanks for clearing that up. I just don't like the misconception that all people who live in Paterson are destitute, poor, and ignorant. I always wonder do they venture past downtown, Broadway, or Rosa Parks Blvd and other rundown areas and blocks? If they did they would see beautiful well kept properties and ask themselves "what type of people live there?'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey