Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 02:23 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
I love NJ but I wouldn't limit it to NJ . . . as that will be pretty limiting. You'll probably at least want to look at Brooklyn and Philly.

Well, i guess what i'm trying to say is, sure, give Hoboken a shot b/c it sounds like you're looking to rent anyway. Once you find a job you can worry about moving closer to it if you need to.

IMO, CD has a strong suburban orientation. Negative attitudes when it comes to cities just goes with the territory. If you live in a big city you already know the drill.

Also - FYI - only 25% of all households have school-aged children and that number is still declining. The quality of the school district, while important to property values, is only one piece of the puzzle and one that continues to wane in importance. The other 75% are probably more concerned with their property taxes than they are with what kind of education someone else's kids are getting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,359 times
Default you can't be serious

You better run from NJ. Do you actually know what property taxes are going for in those nicer towns? Run away from Jersey. Try Delaware. It is close to Philly. I would do a little research into Jersey politics if I were you. Its hard to get out once you get in! Just look at the new bridge increases...which btw are going to keep increasing to 7 bucks. There are actually cool places in DE.
Good luck!
Carolyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by trover View Post
I'm a twenty-something, soon to be professional school grad from the SF area in California. This isn't something people my age out here really aspire to, so call me crazy, but I'm contemplating moving to New Jersey.

Why: I really love the East Coast, particularly the Northeast. NYC, Philly, DC- I can't really pick one I like more than the other- I love them all. New Jersey seems perfectly located to just about everything. Also, it seems like a pretty solid blue state, and I'm a blue state kinda guy. And I grew-up in Chicago, so I can deal with cold winters.

Only problem is, I'm not sure where in New Jersey I'd be interested in living. Most of the major cities are roundly described on this and other forums as crime-ridden urban disaster areas. I've been to Camden, and I know that at least for that town it's no exaggeration. But I also like to live in a somewhat urban setting- dense housing, loots of bars, coffee houses and bookstores, diversity, LOTS of access to public transit. Above all I do not want to live in a "bedroom community" suburb with lots of single family homes on gigantic lots. I grew-up in a place like that and vowed never to return. I also don't plan on having children (can't stand them), so schools are not an issue.

Is there any place in New Jersey that fits my description, or is it either Suburban Wasteland or Urban Hell and nothing in between?

Old 11-18-2008, 07:38 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,974,811 times
If you love high taxes, crime and corruption then you've picked the right spot !!!!!!

Old 11-18-2008, 07:57 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira View Post
I agree - Hoboken is the place for you, if you can afford it. Now, I gotta comment on your "don't plan on having children - can't stand them" statement (can't help myself:-)) You're twenty-something....you might think you know what you want but wait until you're thirty-something...
Sorry Ira. I dont mean to insult you or anyone else. But the fact of the matter is Im now 50 and still cant stand them. I think I know what I want by now. And being tied down with rug rats is not one of them.

I do need to visit Hoboken though. I know it underwent changes but what I remember of it all I can think of is another Camden but this one a NY suberb. I cant wait to see the changes it underwent.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:03 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
High crime?
New Jersey is one of the safer states in the country as a whole.
Pockets of intense, isolated crime? Sure. But I doubt he will be joining the Bloods, Crips, Latin Kings in Newark or selling heroin in Paterson.
Downtown or the waterfront in Jersey City is also an option you should look into.

desertsun41 , even at Hoboken's worst, it was never Camden.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:04 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
why dont you just move to either NYC, Philly, or Beantown?

you can still find a large apartment in manhattan for a reasonable price like in Washington Heights, Inwood, or even in Queens

Philly is nice city also, and not as expensive as NYC

Dont know nothing bout beantown

Old 11-18-2008, 11:54 PM

22 posts, read 76,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
why dont you just move to either NYC, Philly, or Beantown?
I've considered Philly. NYC I could see myself spending a lot of time in but never actually living there. A little too many people like myself want to live there too badly- would just be one more. With Boston you're getting back into Chicago-grade winters, and I'm not willing to go that far.

What got me going on NJ was my last trip east, when I rode the train from NYC to DC. Now, having been to the Jersey shore before, I knew that NJ wasn't an endless series of oil refineries. Still, it dawned on me looking out the window of the train that it just looked like more NY, PA & DE out there. It got me to wondering if NJ also had the same things I like in those places. So it's more curiosity than anything else.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:32 AM

115 posts, read 174,572 times
New Jersey has a VERY CONSERVATIVE feel in some places like Ocean County and a good amount of coastal New Jersey alot of Southern New Jersey and extreme northern New Jersey. Some of these places are actually still republican strongholds.

Some areas are very industrial and ugly looking or feels too close to such undesirable areas such as the area from around Newark to Sayreville.

Atlantic City is a dump but it is a better kind of urban hell than Newark or Camden...
---

Out of all of New Jersey I would say Hoboken is the best for you. Its just across the river from Greenwich village in Manhatten and the transit systems to Boston and Philly from NYC. However, I heard its expensive but Im sure some areas you can feel good enough deals or maybe you can afford the more expensive stuff.

Fair Lawn is also a nice town In Bergan County. Its has a New Jersey transit station. Some would say its borderline to suburban wasteland though or suburban wasteland already.
---

What about Nyack NY? Not too far away from New Jersey

Old 11-19-2008, 07:50 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
One of the problems with NJ is that you feel trapped there by traffic and long rides to recreation. So if you live in Hoboken, you'll probably spend ninety percent of your time there and in NYC.

I live in Boston now, and I regularly make trips to the Jersey shore. The worst part is hitting NJ, after driving four hours, and sitting in traffic for three more hours. Ugh.

One of the things I like about New England is that you're free to get in your car and explore pretty much wherever you want without being punished by hideous traffic.

But you're young and energetic, your curiosity might outweigh your frustration....

Old 11-19-2008, 08:06 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
One of the problems with NJ is that you feel trapped there by traffic and long rides to recreation. So if you live in Hoboken, you'll probably spend ninety percent of your time there and in NYC.

I live in Boston now, and I regularly make trips to the Jersey shore. The worst part is hitting NJ, after driving four hours, and sitting in traffic for three more hours. Ugh.

One of the things I like about New England is that you're free to get in your car and explore pretty much wherever you want without being punished by hideous traffic.

But you're young and energetic, your curiosity might outweigh your frustration....
You live in Boston, and state the traffic is not hideous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey