Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:42 AM

744 posts, read 1,406,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Jc jc and McCullin you are both right. Dead on right even though you are on opposite ends.

So what is the answer?

Does the right to not encounter a drunk superseed the right to not be searched?
One of those rights is spelled out plain and simple as a right the government can not infringe upon:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated"

And the other is not, which makes that an easy choice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 10:52 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,956 times
What's the solution then?
Education hasn't worked either - otherwise drunk driving would have been completely eliminated by now, don't you think?
Do those of you who feel that there shouldn't be drunk driving checkpoints think that there shouldn't be security checkpoints in airports either? Is that unreasonable too?

Old 11-18-2008, 10:57 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
What's the solution then?
Education hasn't worked either - otherwise drunk driving would have been completely eliminated by now, don't you think?
Nope. New idiots are born all the time.

We've also seen (with approximately the same number of total fatalities) a drop of roughly 40% of the total number of alcohol-related fatalities. Add to it, as mentioned earlier, that DWI doesn't result in the same high restrictions and potential jail time as we see here in NJ.

Like I said, education is one part, and its done quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
Do those of you who feel that there shouldn't be drunk driving checkpoints think that there shouldn't be security checkpoints in airports either? Is that unreasonable too?
Those are private companies, and have the right to ask you to be searched. Just don't use their services if you don't want to be searched.

Now, thats not to say I think the security is worthwhile, by ANY stretch of the imagination

Old 11-18-2008, 11:01 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
[quote=sholden;6209888]One of those rights is spelled out plain and simple as a right the government can not infringe upon:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated"And the other is not, which makes that an easy choice...

Well now I guess that would depend on what the majority feels is unreasonable

Old 11-18-2008, 11:06 AM

4,662 posts, read 4,977,549 times
I'm not usually into namecalling, but wow, this thread is just a playground for the fascists among us. And if you're not fascists, you're idiots who don't know the position you cling to regarding this issue makes you fascists.

I can't believe I even have to make this point because it's so obvious to anyone with the most basic grasp of what this country is about, but the reason people are against these checkpoints and other unconstitutional intrusions into our lives is not because they think they'll get caught. It's because governmental interference just sucks. It takes up time, it's dehumanizing, it's a mechanism of control...do you want me to continue?

To people who lost someone due to a drunk driver: the world does not revolve around you. As long as we have cars and alcohol, we will have accidents due to drunk driving. Inability to accept this indicates a mental disorder, in my opinion. Get treated, you'll feel better.

As for actual solutions we should enact: put more cops on the streets (at least once we quit flushing money down the Tigris and Euphrates) so we can ticket more of those who drive dangerously. We have these stupid checkpoints as a symbolic nod to the MADD fascists, yet someone can drive for hours drunk out of his mind without seeing a police car as long as he doesn't run into the checkpoint. Just no. Police heavily trafficked areas more heavily and pull people over who appear to be having difficulty maneuvering their vehicle. Let the rest of us with a brain cell or two live our lives.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:11 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I'm not usually into namecalling, but wow, this thread is just a playground for the fascists among us. And if you're not fascists, you're idiots who don't know the position you cling to regarding this issue makes you fascists.

I can't believe I even have to make this point because it's so obvious to anyone with the most basic grasp of what this country is about, but the reason people are against these checkpoints and other unconstitutional intrusions into our lives is not because they think they'll get caught. It's because governmental interference just sucks. It takes up time, it's dehumanizing, it's a mechanism of control...do you want me to continue?

To people who lost someone due to a drunk driver: the world does not revolve around you. As long as we have cars and alcohol, we will have accidents due to drunk driving. Inability to accept this indicates a mental disorder, in my opinion. Get treated, you'll feel better.

As for actual solutions we should enact: put more cops on the streets (at least once we quit flushing money down the Tigris and Euphrates) so we can ticket more of those who drive dangerously. We have these stupid checkpoints as a symbolic nod to the MADD fascists, yet someone can drive for hours drunk out of his mind without seeing a police car as long as he doesn't run into the checkpoint. Just no. Police heavily trafficked areas more heavily and pull people over who appear to be having difficulty maneuvering their vehicle. Let the rest of us with a brain cell or two live our lives.
Or the Rhine, or the Rhone, or the Han, etc.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:12 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Here is what always worried a crackhead, ok lets say I smoked crack on Sat night, now its Monday Afternoon, I am not and I repeat NOT high, however lets add that I made a stupid mistake umm dropped my Frank Zappa casette tape on the floor looked down and rear ended someone for the sake of Frank. Now this person I rear ended is basically thru the window dead or looks dead. I need to prove that I am not high, however take the urine test and techincally I am still high on crack, it takes 72 hours to leave my system. This is why if you take a xanax, valium you got to be carefully 72 hours in your bloodstream!! So another reason to be SOBER!!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:16 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,445 times
To those who have lost loved ones or personally been injured by a drunk driver...my condolences. I understand why you might think that these road blocks (my term) are a good thing. I submit however that there is a much more direct method ,which would coast much less tax money, would inconvenice very few people and would be a direct attack on the problem..

BTW not a new or my idea.

If you wanna catch drunks go to wear the bulk of the drunks are..ie

Coming out of bars after slamming back whatevers few for hours, or hang outside a sports stadium after some folks have been "tail gating for half the day." (Agreed not all tailgaters are drunks..lets not waste time with that comeback) It could be Soooooo easy..The unmarked police car sits within view of the parking lot and pulls people over after the officer has observed someone staggering to their car. You could even have under cover cop in the bar who radios to the cop down the street when a person,whose clearly had too much to drink, is leaving the bar. Sounds pretty simple to me

Now here's the question....it's a simple idea...why isn't it done and why aren't those who think road blocks are a good thing outraged that their tax money is being fritted away when a more direct approach would end up nailing many more actual drunks. If you're really interested in getting the drunks off the road you should really get behind an idea like that..
.Ask yourself why it isn't done.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:17 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Here is what always worried a crackhead, ok lets say I smoked crack on Sat night, now its Monday Afternoon, I am not and I repeat NOT high, however lets add that I made a stupid mistake umm dropped my Frank Zappa casette tape on the floor looked down and rear ended someone for the sake of Frank. Now this person I rear ended is basically thru the window dead or looks dead. I need to prove that I am not high, however take the urine test and techincally I am still high on crack, it takes 72 hours to leave my system. This is why if you take a xanax, valium you got to be carefully 72 hours in your bloodstream!! So another reason to be SOBER!!
If you freebase seldane, I wonder how long it stays in your bloodstream?

Old 11-18-2008, 11:25 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
whats seldane? And what do you think about someone in that situation I decscribed. I mean I am sober of course and won't even take an asprin but lets say I took a valium and then 2 days later I killed someone. Its in my system for 72 hours. I always wondered is there a law for that being all the valuim and xaxax and pain killers. Even if you have a prescription you can be charged driving impaired but how about 2 days later?? We need a cop or lawyer to answer that. I dont know what seldane is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey