Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:27 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
If you freebase seldane, I wonder how long it stays in your bloodstream?

This is like pseudoephedrine aka meth. 72 hours smoked also. Most drugs especially illegal are 72 hours. Pot is alot longer can take 2 weeks at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 11:27 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I'm not usually into namecalling, but wow, this thread is just a playground for the fascists among us. And if you're not fascists, you're idiots who don't know the position you cling to regarding this issue makes you fascists.

I can't believe I even have to make this point because it's so obvious to anyone with the most basic grasp of what this country is about, but the reason people are against these checkpoints and other unconstitutional intrusions into our lives is not because they think they'll get caught. It's because governmental interference just sucks. It takes up time, it's dehumanizing, it's a mechanism of control...do you want me to continue?

To people who lost someone due to a drunk driver: the world does not revolve around you. As long as we have cars and alcohol, we will have accidents due to drunk driving. Inability to accept this indicates a mental disorder, in my opinion. Get treated, you'll feel better.

As for actual solutions we should enact: put more cops on the streets (at least once we quit flushing money down the Tigris and Euphrates) so we can ticket more of those who drive dangerously. We have these stupid checkpoints as a symbolic nod to the MADD fascists, yet someone can drive for hours drunk out of his mind without seeing a police car as long as he doesn't run into the checkpoint. Just no. Police heavily trafficked areas more heavily and pull people over who appear to be having difficulty maneuvering their vehicle. Let the rest of us with a brain cell or two live our lives.
wow. your empathy is staggering. welcome to the NJ board.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:30 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
And based on this thread and my experiences and those of other posts in the past you think I have no reason to be?

Based on the responses publicly and privately to me I think perhaps you are misjudging me.
you can only control yourself. i think you may be surprised how well your posts would be received if the tone is changed. take a lesson from mike0421.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:34 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Ok now let me play the role of a drunk. First let me repeat I do not like drunk drivers but wish to throw in a thought for the other side.

Several people mentioned more education. But drinking has been in our culture for almost a hundred years. We cant change it. It is just part of who we are. Most of us anyway (not me). People get done on friday afternoon from a hard week and want to unwind with a drink or 2. Hell even when you meet a potential partner the first thing many say is to lets go get a drink. Hang out for sunday football in the sports bar and have a drink or 2.

That being said......we all know just one or two drinks puts one legally over the limit. Even if that person is sharp as a pin. No one is going to change American culture and it's love affair alcohol.

The good news is public awareness is high today. Most regular responsible people dont have a single swig if they have to drive. The bad news is as humans, even otherwise responsible people will drive after a drink or 2.

How's this for an answer/idea?

There was talk about the car of tomorrow being able to sense alcohol on the drivers breath and refuse to start the engine. Is this infringing on anyones rights? I think it's a great idea. There would never be another drunk driver with this new car of the future. The cops hate it though because think of all the revenue they would lose. Law enforcement has already publicly rejected the idea proposed by Auto Makers.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:36 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,982,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I'm not usually into namecalling, but wow, this thread is just a playground for the fascists among us. And if you're not fascists, you're idiots who don't know the position you cling to regarding this issue makes you fascists.

I can't believe I even have to make this point because it's so obvious to anyone with the most basic grasp of what this country is about, but the reason people are against these checkpoints and other unconstitutional intrusions into our lives is not because they think they'll get caught. It's because governmental interference just sucks. It takes up time, it's dehumanizing, it's a mechanism of control...do you want me to continue?

To people who lost someone due to a drunk driver: the world does not revolve around you. As long as we have cars and alcohol, we will have accidents due to drunk driving. Inability to accept this indicates a mental disorder, in my opinion. Get treated, you'll feel better.

As for actual solutions we should enact: put more cops on the streets (at least once we quit flushing money down the Tigris and Euphrates) so we can ticket more of those who drive dangerously. We have these stupid checkpoints as a symbolic nod to the MADD fascists, yet someone can drive for hours drunk out of his mind without seeing a police car as long as he doesn't run into the checkpoint. Just no. Police heavily trafficked areas more heavily and pull people over who appear to be having difficulty maneuvering their vehicle. Let the rest of us with a brain cell or two live our lives.
In one thread you called us Faschists, idiots and accused us of having less than one or two brain cells left WOW!!!!
Since we're giving unsolicited opinions here, I think you should go play in the traffic.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:37 AM

I remember at the end of my addiction how dangerous it got. I took care of a mentally challenged adult who slept like a brick. One night a friend called me and I was about 28 years old, so not a baby , and she said come on over I got some crack. Me knowing that the person slept like a brick, tip toed out, went to friends house got high (left around 11pm returned at 4am) and woke the person I took care of up at 7am. The point is lets say there was a fire, lets say the person woke up and saw me gone and started wondering outside, lets say had a seizure, heart attack. I could be held for basically a murder charge. Person had the capacity of a 3 year old!! So addicts will take everyone down with them. They dont care about you, your children, your life just their HIGH!! Alcoholics are the same ADDICTS ARE THE MOST SELFISH PEOPLE AND WE NEED TO STOP THEM! If this gets people sober, alive, or at least some pinch of guilt maybe we can help the addicts too.

I think back to that time and it sends shivers down my spine. SO careless just to get high to endanger another person. Granted that was not my intention but it does not matter. I was a selfish not caring loser.

12 years sober and all for getting the addicts off drugs and booze. They say if you drive drunk more than 2 times your an alcoholic and I believe it. Booze is more important than anything else.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:38 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
This is like pseudoephedrine aka meth. 72 hours smoked also. Most drugs especially illegal are 72 hours. Pot is alot longer can take 2 weeks at least.
Marylin,

I was only kidding! A joke! I think I took that stuff for acne back in the 80s.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,355,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
To those who have lost loved ones or personally been injured by a drunk driver...my condolences. I understand why you might think that these road blocks (my term) are a good thing. I submit however that there is a much more direct method ,which would coast much less tax money, would inconvenice very few people and would be a direct attack on the problem..

BTW not a new or my idea.

If you wanna catch drunks go to wear the bulk of the drunks are..ie

Coming out of bars after slamming back whatevers few for hours, or hang outside a sports stadium after some folks have been "tail gating for half the day." (Agreed not all tailgaters are drunks..lets not waste time with that comeback) It could be Soooooo easy..The unmarked police car sits within view of the parking lot and pulls people over after the officer has observed someone staggering to their car. You could even have under cover cop in the bar who radios to the cop down the street when a person,whose clearly had too much to drink, is leaving the bar. Sounds pretty simple to me

Now here's the question....it's a simple idea...why isn't it done and why aren't those who think road blocks are a good thing outraged that their tax money is being fritted away when a more direct approach would end up nailing many more actual drunks. If you're really interested in getting the drunks off the road you should really get behind an idea like that..
.Ask yourself why it isn't done.

So then you assume it's ok that if someone is staggering from a parking lot they are drunk. You could very well be WRONG!! I have many friends who walk very off balance b/c of the disease nf2 (Neuro fibromatosis 2). They generally have brain tumors which wreaks havoc on the balance and or spinal tumors which can have effects on walking.

Many of these people have gotten stopped either before they have gotten to their cars or in a roadblock and had to prove they were not drunk. Oh and in many cases they are deaf b/c of said brain tumors and this makes communication more difficult w/ police.

While I hate that people have to go through the discomfort of sobriety checks or baggage checks, we need safety in these times of terrorism. Just imagine if we had been more efficient and kept box cutters off planes pre 9/11.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Marylin,

I was only kidding! A joke! I think I took that stuff for acne back in the 80s.
ohh I though it was some new drug like X! You see I am OUT OF THAT LOOP, and proud of it.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:43 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,355,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
In one thread you called us Faschists, idiots and accused us of having less than one or two brain cells left WOW!!!!
Since we're giving unsolicited opinions here, I think you should go play in the traffic.
Yes, he sure has a lot of class.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey