Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:12 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdweisman View Post
those of you who find it fun to mess with those people who are trying to pass you should think about this angle. you don't know what's going on with them. maybe someone is dying in a hospital, or their kid was just in an accident. do you really have nothing better to do than to find ways to be just as annoying and spiteful back? i can't believe how many of you want to be just as obnoxious as the tailgaters. i am not saying tailgating is acceptable, but there are circumstances you may not be aware of and how the heck are they suppose to tell you. if you can move over, then move over and let them fly by. it's not your problem or responsibility to make them adhere to the speed limit or road rules.
Emergency? Throw the hazard lights on and use the horn. Otherwise, have fun sliding under my SUV and taking the brunt of the damage just because you were acting like a Richard Head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 12:28 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdweisman View Post
those of you who find it fun to mess with those people who are trying to pass you should think about this angle. you don't know what's going on with them. maybe someone is dying in a hospital, or their kid was just in an accident.
Even in the rare event where they have reason to believe that someone close to them is suddenly, unexpectedly about to die, that doesn't give them license to drive way over the speed limit and it certainly doesn't give them license to tailgate. And in a similar case, which isn't what you mention, if they're trying to take someone to medical care, they'd be better served to sit tight and call 911.

You're recommending behavior that effectively makes tailgating acceptable. I wouldn't recommend that.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:37 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteracing46 View Post
happens to everyone regardless if your speeding or not, there's always someone going faster. My solution? Quite simple. When someone is tailgating you bad, just ease off the gas slowly so it's a gradual decrease in speed. Then when you get the high beams/horn/finger tap the brakes to give an appropriate F-YOU right back to him. Now he's going to try and pass you. This is when you need a v8 and a car in the middle lane that is roughly 50yd ahead of you. You then pin the gas until you reach the other car which blocks him from cutting you off. It is truly a great feeling to mess with a**hole drivers, they get so frustrated... its even better when you know where the speed traps are and you screw them over
Why not just move over and let them go, since you're in the wrong for blocking the left lane anyway?

Old 11-24-2008, 02:52 PM

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...driving-3.html

Old 11-24-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Why not just move over and let them go, since you're in the wrong for blocking the left lane anyway?
How fast do you figure you should be able to drive in the left lane?

Old 11-25-2008, 05:52 AM

It doesn't matter how fast someone is driving in the left lane, if the person behind you is trying to overtake you, then you move over and allow them to pass. It's the law. I'm not a speeder, and I certainly don't condone tailgating, but I am tired of watching people playing games in the left lane (and on the road in general) and endangering those around them. I recently had a situation like this where I had my 11 month old son in the car (driving the speed limit in the middle lane) and two idiots on the turnpike were playing bumper tag and brake checking and doing all the other things that people with room temperature IQ's do. Well, had one of them lost control at 70 mph they may have wiped out and taken me (and my son) with them. So the question should be 'why not leave the vigilance to the police where it should be?'. I'll write more later.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:03 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Because those *&%$#@ NY drivers are always doing 60 in the left lane.
And when you're driving NY Thruway and Northway those #$^&*@ Jersey drivers stay in the left hand lane and cause major pods. They apparently forget the rule that the left lane is for passing and to stay to the right.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
It doesn't matter how fast someone is driving in the left lane, if the person behind you is trying to overtake you, then you move over and allow them to pass. It's the law.
They're breaking the law if they're going 90 mph or something.
Quote:
I'm not a speeder, and I certainly don't condone tailgating, but I am tired of watching people playing games in the left lane (and on the road in general) and endangering those around them.
The folks endangering others are the speeders and tailgaters. You shouldn't get out of their way to encourage them to speed.

[Edit: by the way, I just emailed New Jersey's department of Law and Public Safety to ask them if a driver in the left hand lane who is going at and just over the speed limit, gradually passing a long chain of cars in the lane to the right of him, would be required to merge with those cars in the lane to the right of him if a car drove up to his rear going 90 mph, so that the car could continue to go 90 mph. We'll see what they say, but even if they said that the law suggests that, I'd suggest trying to change that law, because it's ridiculous.)

Last edited by Tungsten_Udder; 11-25-2008 at 11:37 AM..

Old 11-25-2008, 12:17 PM

622 posts, read 3,113,007 times
I like to go fast but I don't tailgate. I will pass you comfortably if I can. If not, I just slow down and accept it. If the road is clear, then I'm off to the races.

When I visited Virginia and West virginia, holy sh.....! People tailgated ME when I was there driving through the mountain roads. You couldn't even see over the little hilly roads at all. It was a little scarey. I usually drive faster when someone tailgates me, so I was doing high speeds on the mountain type roads, turning left, right, up down... wow.

I commented on the tailgaters to another person who lived there and he said "Oh, don't mind them, I don't." lol

Yeah, I get tailgaters here in NJ too. I just move out of the way and get behind them if there's a lot of traffic. No big deal.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:52 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,345 times
Tailgating occurs in New Jersey because people have places to go while others drive slow and ruin it for the bunch. Most of all those Pennsylvania cars in New Jersey are always clogging up the left lane. These people seem to drive with blindfolds and drive as if the turnpike is a country road with red lights and stop signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey