Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 02:23 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
What you should do is walk to the water each Saturday and throw all the cash in your wallet into the water. When this no longer bothers you, your ready to own a boat.
That's what my husband's grandmother said too-"A boat is just a hole in the water you throw money into." That being said, her husband had one and my husband inherited (sp?) it. He's mechanically inclined so he does a lot of the maintanance himself. He was docking it for a couple of seasons, but since the amount of time he actually go to use it did not make the cost of docking (in Manasquan) worth it, he tows it now when he uses it. I would never tell him to sell it because I know he loves it and loves that it was his grandfather's but I would not be sad to see it go. With 2 kids and now house stuff that needs to get done, he really doesn't get to use it a lot-I think he took it out 3 times this summer-and that bums him out once it's time to cover it up for the winter. I don't think it's worth the money, but I don't love fishing or being on the water. He does, and since the boat is still in our yard, I guess he feels it's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 02:25 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,162,707 times
Heh. We owned a boat in the 80's. And we never officially renamed it, but if we did, we would have called it "the money pit". You have to be really dedicated to it - and ready to spend every weekend in the summer on the boat otherwise you won't feel like you're getting your money's worth out of it.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:32 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteracing46 View Post
in some cases yes, but if you truly have a passion for the water/fishing/cruising then it's an even trade off. My boston whaler has yet to give me any problem and have owned it for over 3 years now. Knock on wood
Actually I was just repeating an old one liner....

I just sold my 27' sailboat....and I'm looking to step up to something like 45'
I plan on eventually selling the house and going live aboard crusing for a few years..so yeah...you could say I like boats...or more specifically sailing.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:47 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Wow, lots of discouraging comments here. Looks like it would cost me about $5,500 to dock it for the year in JC.

I think it'd be worth it, seeing that it's a quick walk to where it'd be docked. Would be great to entertain guests that visit town, even clients...especially since I am a half-mile from NYC and even closer to Statue of Liberty. 4th of July, when the fireworks are all over the NYC harbor. I guess I'll have to think about it...

Old 11-19-2008, 02:49 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,162,707 times
Another consideration - the price of gas to gas the thing up...

Old 11-19-2008, 02:56 PM

14 posts, read 94,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
Another consideration - the price of gas to gas the thing up...
very true, gas KILLED me over the summer. But right now if it can stay at these prices by some miracle it would be great. Currently paying $1.82 gallon...gotta love it

Old 11-19-2008, 03:08 PM

I know a few folks who never left the dock this summer because of the fuel costs. A pair of v8s or even v6s below deck running nearly wide open to get out to the ridge and back to do some fishing for the day....well you just dropped a cpl hundred bucks !!! That'll buy you a LOT of fish !!

Old 11-19-2008, 03:09 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,985 times
I personally can't wait to get one. I can't tell you how many great summers I spent as a kid motoring around the Delaware out of Bordentown. One of my buddies is a member of the yacht club there-great bunch of people. Saltwater boating you can have. It's fun, but too much maintenance.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I personally can't wait to get one. I can't tell you how many great summers I spent as a kid motoring around the Delaware out of Bordentown. One of my buddies is a member of the yacht club there-great bunch of people. Saltwater boating you can have. It's fun, but too much maintenance.

I know exactly the marinas down there your talking about...kind of hidden...not well know by lots of folks....and yes a great bunch of people..

Old 11-19-2008, 03:39 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Honestly, I'm not worried about the money, so long as it enhances my lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey