Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:29 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,053 times

Advertisements

I can understand why you'd be confused. The USCGA offers many courses...but as near as I can tell NON of those pointed to by the link result in you getting an approved license.

try here

NJ Boat Safety
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 12:51 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
So I'd take any of those courses? After the course, I'd take a test to obtain my license? Where would I take the test?

Old 01-22-2009, 02:46 PM

A lot of those listiings are one night courses...you sit thru the course...the test is given right afterwards...and that's that !!

BTW..often the instructors are VERY helpful during the class..ie...pointing out which tidbits to pay attention to ...sorta like...."pay attention to this next part cuz.it's on the test..!!

If you pass you're given a temp license and the formal one is mailed to you..

what could be easier..

BTW...I need to actually get my License as well....I'm going to do it at Hillbilly Hall @ Hopewell ...what could be better....sitting around the bar with a few beers and then get your license

It works for me

Old 01-22-2009, 03:40 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
So I'd take any of those courses? After the course, I'd take a test to obtain my license? Where would I take the test?
Tommy your confusing me now. The USCGA course has nothing to do with obtaining your NJ boat license. It offers basic skills and seamanship classes as well other things. To obtain the NJ boating license(this is seperate from the USCGA classes) you have to go to an 8 hour course administered by people associated with the state and pass a 50 question test( i think you have to get an 80 to pass). I think someone posted that link.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Tommy your confusing me now. The USCGA course has nothing to do with obtaining your NJ boat license. It offers basic skills and seamanship classes as well other things. To obtain the NJ boating license(this is seperate from the USCGA classes) you have to go to an 8 hour course administered by people associated with the state and pass a 50 question test( i think you have to get an 80 to pass). I think someone posted that link.
OK, I see. But it looks like the course JBrown is talking about gives you your license at the end of the course, no?

Where would I go to take the 8 hour course and test...a DMV? Most of my boat friends are NYers and they have never had to go through any of this crap...only in NJ!

Sorry about the confusion...

Old 01-22-2009, 04:14 PM

if you follow the link I gave you and then click where it says clikck here it will give you the places , times , and phone numbers

Old 01-23-2009, 08:19 AM

JBrown, are you sure they give you your license afterwards? Jersey Man is saying that you have to go to a state operated facility to obtain the actual license.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:00 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
JBrown, are you sure they give you your license afterwards? Jersey Man is saying that you have to go to a state operated facility to obtain the actual license.
Tommy, you don't have to go to a state facility. I took mine in a Elks rental hall. It was administered by a sailing club that got the OK from the state to administer it. They give you the test right there, they mark it there, then they give you a temp. license. It cost 50 bucks for the class. The state will then send the official license in the mail. These classes are all over, Jbrown posted a link.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Tommy, you don't have to go to a state facility. I took mine in a Elks rental hall. It was administered by a sailing club that got the OK from the state to administer it. They give you the test right there, they mark it there, then they give you a temp. license. It cost 50 bucks for the class. The state will then send the official license in the mail. These classes are all over, Jbrown posted a link.
Thank you both, Jersey Man and JBrown.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:48 AM

UPDATE - I looked at a 1986 Sea Ray Sundancer 268 (?) yesterday out in Queens. Beautiful boat. New outdrive. Motor has less than 450 hours on it. Any of you boat guys have any experience with this model??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey