Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:15 PM

197 posts, read 798,532 times

Advertisements

and nobody is doing anything about it" BRING IN NJSP, REALLY SAD....

Chambersburg man left broken, bloody after savage attack
By JACK KNARR, Staff
07/24/2008
email this storyEmail to a friendpost a commentPost a Commentprinter friendlyPrinter-friendly

TRENTON - The savage apparent gang beating of a hard-working 48-year-old cook in Chambersburg early Sunday has angered the man's friends and brought Councilman Gino Melone to call once again for a restoration of police patrol cuts in the East Ward.
Friends said the victim's clavicle, ribs and jaw were broken and his neck and throat cut - after he'd been relieved of the pay ($400 to $600) he'd received the night before at a Chambersburg tavern where he works.
Friends said the attack was likely the pleasure of gangsters gone wild. The victim is said to be unable to speak, and his family - through friend Jessica Cooper - asked that he not be depicted or identified, as did the business where he works.
A Chambersburg business woman who knows the victim said, "The real tragedy is these kids can't go home after work without getting mugged. He just got paid at the end of the week, and after they took the money, then they just decided to go ahead and they beat the living crap out of him. Cut him up with a knife.
"I asked one of his friends, 'Why would they do that if all they want is the money?' And he said, 'It's something in their blood gang, like the more damage you do to a person, the higher in rank you go.' But after they took $600, took his cash - after they took the money, they just started pummeling him, and then took a knife out and put a big X across the front of his chest, and almost slit his throat. But they got up underneath his chin rather than his neck, where they would have killed him.
"It's a shame," she said. "It's happening more and more in Chambersburg. They're targeting these Costa Ricans, Spanish, Puerto Ricans, because they know they have money on them" on weekend paydays.
Cooper, said the victim's biggest fear is being retaliated against.
Police Spokesman Pedro Medina said police don't have to release news of a crime if the press doesn't ask for it. But nobody at the paper had knowledge of this savage attack. Medina decides which crimes to issue press releases on and admitted he'd missed this one.
He said the police report by Detective Mathew Halaycio shows the attack took place at 4:30 a.m. Sunday, after a co-worker gave the victim a ride to the corner of Hamilton and Lyndale avenues near his sister's house, where he planned to sleep.
"As he walked on Lyndale he observed four to six black males coming out of Sidney Alley," Medina reported. " ... The group then began to assault him by punching him about the body and head. During the assault, one of the suspects took his wallet, containing $400, a New Jersey driver's license, Social Security card and a working visa."
Councilman Melone called the attack "a very very sad situation. I was very upset to hear this, and my prayers go out to the victim and his family. I've requested a copy of the police reports on behalf of the Chambersburg Civic Association.
"And I'm requesting increased police presence," he added. "The East Ward has the highest number of crimes, and I've told Police Director Joseph Santiago of my continued concern of the cuts that have occurred in police patrols in my ward. Why would you cut patrols in the ward that has the highest crime rate? I can't understand it. There's a lack of police presence in my ward. And what is occurring is a direct result also of that."
Jessica Cooper said she and friends of the victim have scheduled a "STOP THE VIOLENCE" fundraiser and garage sale on the Morris Street sidewalk between Chambers and Franklin streets beginning at noon Saturday. She said there will be music, and that people can bring things to donate for sale, with all proceeds going to the victim to help cover the massive medical bills certain to come from his rehabilitation.
The victim had been laid off by the state, and was working a temporary job for the past eight weeks and has no medical insurance, Cooper said.
Anyone with information about the attackers is urged to call Detective Halaycio at (609) 989-4137, or the TPD confidential tip line at (609) 989-3663
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 02:20 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam23 View Post

By JACK KNARR, Staff
07/24/2008
email this storyEmail to a friendpost a commentPost a Commentprinter friendlyPrinter-friendly

TRENTON - The savage apparent gang beating of a hard-working 48-year-old cook in Chambersburg early Sunday has angered the man's friends and brought Councilman Gino Melone to call once again for a restoration of police patrol cuts in the East Ward.
Friends said the victim's clavicle, ribs and jaw were broken and his neck and throat cut - after he'd been relieved of the pay ($400 to $600) he'd received the night before at a Chambersburg tavern where he works.
Friends said the attack was likely the pleasure of gangsters gone wild. The victim is said to be unable to speak, and his family - through friend Jessica Cooper - asked that he not be depicted or identified, as did the business where he works.
A Chambersburg business woman who knows the victim said, "The real tragedy is these kids can't go home after work without getting mugged. He just got paid at the end of the week, and after they took the money, then they just decided to go ahead and they beat the living crap out of him. Cut him up with a knife.
"I asked one of his friends, 'Why would they do that if all they want is the money?' And he said, 'It's something in their blood gang, like the more damage you do to a person, the higher in rank you go.' But after they took $600, took his cash - after they took the money, they just started pummeling him, and then took a knife out and put a big X across the front of his chest, and almost slit his throat. But they got up underneath his chin rather than his neck, where they would have killed him.
"It's a shame," she said. "It's happening more and more in Chambersburg. They're targeting these Costa Ricans, Spanish, Puerto Ricans, because they know they have money on them" on weekend paydays.
Police Spokesman Pedro Medina said police don't have to release news of a crime if the press doesn't ask for it. But nobody at the paper had knowledge of this savage attack. Medina decides which crimes to issue press releases on and admitted he'd missed this one.
He said the police report by Detective Mathew Halaycio shows the attack took place at 4:30 a.m. Sunday, after a co-worker gave the victim a ride to the corner of Hamilton and Lyndale avenues near his sister's house, where he planned to sleep.
"As he walked on Lyndale he observed four to six black males coming out of Sidney Alley," Medina reported. " ... The group then began to assault him by punching him about the body and head. During the assault, one of the suspects took his wallet, containing $400, a New Jersey driver's license, Social Security card and a working visa."
Councilman Melone called the attack "a very very sad situation. I was very upset to hear this, and my prayers go out to the victim and his family. I've requested a copy of the police reports on behalf of the Chambersburg Civic Association.
"And I'm requesting increased police presence," he added. "The East Ward has the highest number of crimes, and I've told Police Director Joseph Santiago of my continued concern of the cuts that have occurred in police patrols in my ward. Why would you cut patrols in the ward that has the highest crime rate? I can't understand it. There's a lack of police presence in my ward. And what is occurring is a direct result also of that."
Jessica Cooper said she and friends of the victim have scheduled a "STOP THE VIOLENCE" fundraiser and garage sale on the Morris Street sidewalk between Chambers and Franklin streets beginning at noon Saturday. She said there will be music, and that people can bring things to donate for sale, with all proceeds going to the victim to help cover the massive medical bills certain to come from his rehabilitation.
The victim had been laid off by the state, and was working a temporary job for the past eight weeks and has no medical insurance, Cooper said.
Anyone with information about the attackers is urged to call Detective Halaycio at (609) 989-4137, or the TPD confidential tip line at (609) 989-3663
I'm speechless .

Old 07-24-2008, 02:31 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,053 times
I really like this part................

"Police Spokesman Pedro Medina said police don't have to release news of a crime if the press doesn't ask for it. But nobody at the paper had knowledge of this savage attack. Medina decides which crimes to issue press releases on and admitted he'd missed this one. ""

Gee...I wonder why they operate on a policy like that ....

Old 07-24-2008, 02:43 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Gee...I wonder why they operate on a policy like that
Two words: Joe Santiago. You know, the "Police Director" (yes, he's not actually a police officer) who's too afraid to live in his own city. My Aunt still lives in the East Ward has been alone since my uncle passed away. She has lived in the city (as most of that side of my family did) all of her life. She works there, she shops there, (some of) her friends are still there, etc... It's one thing to do what my mom (her sister) did and leave on your own terms, but she's extremely bitter about leaving because she's basically being forced to. I still hold out hope for the city, but that hope hinges on the voters hanging the entire corrupt administration out to dry.

Trenton needs a new Mayor, a new City Council (save for one member, Jim Coston, a true pioneer in the city), and a new Police CHIEF, not a "Director." I want to see a member of the rank and file, born, raised, and living in the city become the head of Trenton PD.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:56 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam23 View Post

By JACK KNARR, Staff
07/24/2008

The same thing was happening in Plainfield, New Jersey for several years, until Geraldo Rivera, got involved. Apparently, the police was doing nothing about it, and he exposed it.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:01 AM

438 posts, read 965,165 times
another reason why I don't go to Trenton for ANYTHING

Old 07-25-2008, 06:58 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,040,566 times
just a shame. trenton seems to get worse and worse.

you know, the one reason i do go to trenton now and then is for delorenzo's pizza. and it looks like this attack happened a block away from the hamilton ave location. kind of scary, because i thought that area wasn't terrible.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:11 AM

6 posts, read 17,570 times
File a suite against the municipality for collecting your tax dollars and falling to serve and protect... Thats just wrong notify the mayor of your concerns everyday all day...I find that nagging works round up the community leaders

Old 07-25-2008, 12:52 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfulou View Post
another reason why I don't go to Trenton for ANYTHING
The problem is that the outlying "good" areas (Hamilton, Lawrence, Ewing, Morrisville, and yes, even Princeton) have been affected by the poverty, gang violence, white flight, and deterioration of Trenton. Pretty soon residents of those towns (my parents included) won't have to go to Trenton to witness this kind of mayhem. That is unless municipal governments, NGOs, and the state begin to work together in order to solve the problem by confronting it head on. Ironically I was just in Trenton this morning at a briefing by a non-profit called Isles which has been working in the city for nearly 30 years to reverse all of the problems that began developing in the early 60s. One of the more impressive projects they've taken on is rehabilitating an old factory in the Bromley section of Hamilton (on the Trenton border) and turned it into a business incubator for "green collar" businesses among other things. The purpose is twofold, first to help these small startups to get off the ground, and second, to provide residents with skilled and unskilled labor jobs that can contribute to the city's economy. It's a start, but there's still a long way to go.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:51 PM

197 posts, read 798,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
The problem is that the outlying "good" areas (Hamilton, Lawrence, Ewing, Morrisville, and yes, even Princeton) have been affected by the poverty, gang violence, white flight, and deterioration of Trenton. Pretty soon residents of those towns (my parents included) won't have to go to Trenton to witness this kind of mayhem. That is unless municipal governments, NGOs, and the state begin to work together in order to solve the problem by confronting it head on. Ironically I was just in Trenton this morning at a briefing by a non-profit called Isles which has been working in the city for nearly 30 years to reverse all of the problems that began developing in the early 60s. One of the more impressive projects they've taken on is rehabilitating an old factory in the Bromley section of Hamilton (on the Trenton border) and turned it into a business incubator for "green collar" businesses among other things. The purpose is twofold, first to help these small startups to get off the ground, and second, to provide residents with skilled and unskilled labor jobs that can contribute to the city's economy. It's a start, but there's still a long way to go.
I couldn't agree with you more about the areas that border Trenton being affected because now those areas also have a different feel to them and increased crime rates. NJ is so densely populated that I think this is a product of our geography. These areas especially in Central NJ are within a 5 mile radius of one another. This is causing people that used to live in Trenton to flee to South Jersey, a little further North and out of dodge all together including the Carolinas, Florida, Bucks County PA. People in mercer county still have to go to trenton for work or jury duty.
They are fleeing the County in droves too! Moving to Burlington, Camden. I wonder why you don't here too much about this type of crime in Camden and Newark? Is it not publicized or is the crime more centrally located in certain areas, because ask anyone, there is not a good area of Trenton anymore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey