Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 12:40 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,295,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
This is silly. Since when did it become the responsibility of the tennant to perform maintenace on household mechanical systems or appliances ? Is a tennant required to "tune up" a furnace every fall, have the hvac ductwork cleaned periodically, drain the hot water heater periodically as recommended......no.....this equipment is owned by the landlord....not the tennant..... and should be the responsibility of the landlord to be kept in "operational" condition.
Do you clean the stove? Hopefully.
Do you vacuum the floor? Ditto.
Do you clean out your dryer duct? Yes, unless you want to risk a fire.
Do you clean the inside of the refrigerator periodically, or do you expect your landlord to do that too?

The only thing silly about this is that you expect the landlord to send maintenance personnel for something that would take you three minutes to do yourself.

Then, (in your reply to Roselvr) you use immaturity and incompetence as excuses! It's one thing to hear old people lament about "kids nowadays, yada, yada, yada..." but you invite it! That blows my mind! If you're mature enough to rent an apartment you should be mature enough to care for it.

As for your comparison of cleaning the refrigerator to tuning up the furnace, cleaning the HVAC duct work, or draining the water heater, all of those items are fixtures to the real estate -- permanently attached. The refrigerator is personal property. It's an invalid comparison.

You seem like a bright individual, and other than this one issue you seem to have a good relationship with your landlord. It would be a shame if your relationship with your landlord spoils as a result of rigidly held attitudes that some may consider privileged or bratty. That would be immature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 03:19 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,955,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Do you clean the stove? Hopefully.
Do you vacuum the floor? Ditto.
Do you clean out your dryer duct? Yes, unless you want to risk a fire.
Do you clean the inside of the refrigerator periodically, or do you expect your landlord to do that too?

The only thing silly about this is that you expect the landlord to send maintenance personnel for something that would take you three minutes to do yourself.

Then, (in your reply to Roselvr) you use immaturity and incompetence as excuses! It's one thing to hear old people lament about "kids nowadays, yada, yada, yada..." but you invite it! That blows my mind! If you're mature enough to rent an apartment you should be mature enough to care for it.

As for your comparison of cleaning the refrigerator to tuning up the furnace, cleaning the HVAC duct work, or draining the water heater, all of those items are fixtures to the real estate -- permanently attached. The refrigerator is personal property. It's an invalid comparison.

You seem like a bright individual, and other than this one issue you seem to have a good relationship with your landlord. It would be a shame if your relationship with your landlord spoils as a result of rigidly held attitudes that some may consider privileged or bratty. That would be immature.
I am an "old people"......I'm 61 and own my home and maintain it well thank you very much. All of what you say applies well if your apartment is located in Fantasyland, unfortunately, most are located in the real world. While ignorance is no excuse nor should it be condoned the unfortunate fact is that most of "younger generation" are severly lacking in even minimal mechanical, maintenance or repair skills because thats what their parents have created. Unless the McDonalds cash registers told the cashier what change to return most wouldn't even be able to figure that out ! If they can't even give change it doesn't matter if the fridge panels need removing for maintenace...or the furnace panels....or AC unit panels..... or the panel on a hot water heater.....they don't know how !!! I suspect most don't even have a screwdriver let alone know the difference between a phillips of flathead. No one "invites" incompetence but wishing that most tennants are mechanically incompetent rather than recognizing and accepting the fact that most are not is just burying your head in the sand. Offering the argument that by having the funds to rent an apartment, lease a car or buy a home guarantees the individual is mature enough to maintain it is absolutely absurd. Look around you at your examples.....those would be the ones having their cars repossessed and their homes foreclosed on.....and massive credit card debt.....they could use your leadership....I hear they're looking for a new King of Fantasyland ?

Old 08-08-2009, 01:27 PM

4 posts, read 10,713 times
as a tenant i would like to know is there a law, statue , or any document that says landlords must provide a working stove? please let me know . im a tenant and this is important to me. im having the same issue.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,279 times
who is responsible for the food in refrigerator when refrigerator is being repaired? landlord or tenant?

Old 03-04-2012, 06:48 AM

50,107 posts, read 35,754,801 times
When my fridge was being repaired I put my food in coolers, it didn't even occur to me to ask him to pay for new food. Then again I have a pretty good landlord who doesn't raise my rent. Was the fridge broken while you were at work and didn't have a chance to preserve it?

Old 03-04-2012, 02:44 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,028,513 times
It depends on how long the refrigerator is not working whether the food needs to be replaced. Good grief, it doesn't spoil in a few hours. Get a cooler and some ice and do something to minimize the problem rather than jumping to have the landlord take care of it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: