Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:35 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,371,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Getting back to the original question, do we look back, of course. There isn't a day that one of us says "Remember Jimmy Buffs hot dogs?" "Remember that street T. Soprano is going down in Elizabeth?"

Same here. I remember nights walking up the hill to Brothers Pizzeria on route 34 to get a large pie. Sometimes I'll lay here and think about Saturday evenings driving up route 9 to the Dunkin' Donuts to pick up a couple of coffees and donuts between Hockey Night in Canada games on the NHL package. And every time I watched The Sopranos I'd look to identify exactly where on location they were. I'd pick off enough of 'em, too.

It's human nature. Doesn't mean you don't love where you are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 08:42 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,515,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Same here. I remember nights walking up the hill to Brothers Pizzeria on route 34 to get a large pie. Sometimes I'll lay here and think about Saturday evenings driving up route 9 to the Dunkin' Donuts to pick up a couple of coffees and donuts between Hockey Night in Canada games on the NHL package. And every time I watched The Sopranos I'd look to identify exactly where on location they were. I'd pick off enough of 'em, too.

It's human nature. Doesn't mean you don't love where you are now.
I love where I am now but instaed of looking back I am always looking around for diners, unsuccessfully but I keep looking. Must be purely a Jersey thing.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:03 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,706,045 times
We come back occasionally, but would never move back.

New Jersey holds some good memories for us, just not our future.

Most transplants tend to visit NJ several times during the first year after moving to another state, but then, as the years go by, the visits become less frequent. You just learn to move on....

There's a great big world out there, that starts when you stop having to pay tolls every ten miles...

Old 11-23-2008, 09:34 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,063,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
I can't really say I never looked back because I was in the general region for so many years but I don't miss burbish living at all and I am def not someone to make food an issue unless I am in a place where it is total crap.

Suburbs generally lack character but I think my life in NJ was much more colorful than what most other sprawly parts of the U.S. would afford me. Part of that is probably due to location but whatever the reason that was on the plus side.

I would never have said for example- I wish I could live on the outskirts of Greensboro instead. Way too stepford.
Yes there are some stepford type places in NJ but I did not live in one thankfully.

Anyone who had a decent quality of life and childhood will be less likely to frame this as "never looked back". That would be true for any state.

These threads end up being about someone's horrible home life, their violent past, ethnic self-loathing, whatever. Those things are not state specific. A place like Iowa has less extremes but people there deal with many of those types of issues. Some people are just lucky.
Two quick notes here:

#1: I am Wash DC area native and left for the West Coast and never looked back. A lot had to do with my bad childhood admittedly: that stated; by far my main reason for leaving the DC area was the bad weather. Had the climate been acceptable to me; I doubt I would have left the general area. DC was not all bad and the whole vibe on the Virginia side from Springfield to Fredericksburg was more Old School California.

#2: Not all of NJ is 'Joisey' either............the Garden State has all sorts of different little enclaves that are a cultural world apart from Newark, Union, etc.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:31 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,589,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
*** UHM... you've ALL looked back or you would NOT be spending so much time on the NEW JERSEY board! ***
I think you have quite the good and truthful point there my friend.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:32 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,371,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
There's a great big world out there, that starts when you stop having to pay tolls every ten miles...

I sure don't miss that. You get used to highway driving without setting aside dollars or change just to get from point A to point B.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:45 PM

543 posts, read 1,454,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
one of the things i miss from Jersey is that everything is old...it is so much more beautiful with so much more character and history behind all the old stuff...there are still Main Streets...where i live now (Las Vegas) no one treasures anything old and it all becomes rundown and replaced especially after its 3 years old (yes i know there's rundown old stuff in NJ, but most of the stuff i've seen has been taken care of and what is taken care of ends up looking really nice)...i also am sick of the same stucco crap we have here and Jersey has that great Victorian architecture...and the food is so much better...
Yes, I notice that too when I am out of the area.. there are small towns with Main Streets and everything does look older with more brick and stone, and better built. That stucco stuff is growing like a cancer here too though... I hate it too, hope it goes out of style. There is a house that was just built on our street like that, it looks so out of place!

Old 11-23-2008, 02:01 PM

14 posts, read 20,442 times
Default Ok then...

I left NJ about 3 years ago, and God willing, will not have to return [save for a funeral, perhaps].

I now live in the great PNW, in the Lower Columbia area of Wa., and am in a beautiful 2 bedroom, 2 bath apt. for 690.00 per month in a safe, quiet neighborhood. I could only imagine what the rent for a similar place in Monmouth County would cost. North Cascades National, Olympic National, Puget sound, Mt. Rainier, St. Helens, the Columbia River, and places in between-oh, yeah; give me the PNW any day. I don't miss the insane '90 MPH pace' of Jersey either. Granted, NW Jersey & the Pine Barrens were nice areas, but I like where I'm at a LOT better, thank you.

Interesting point; yes, my past was pretty bad, childhood especially, but that can follow you anywhere. If Jersey was affordable, more physically beautiful, a lot less urban and crowded overall, the pace slower, it would be more attractive to me, even now. But ya' just cant beat the superb natural beauty of the NW, the slower pace, generally friendlier people, mild climate, & lower cost of living.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:08 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,530,719 times
I left NJ to move to Florida (not by choice) a couple of years ago. Since the day I arrived in Orlando Florida I hated this culturless strip mall city. I am finally moving back in early 2009. I can not wait.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:10 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,642,820 times
I think all of us look back because we were fortunate enough to grow up in what was a wonderful State back in the day when everything was more affordable. I tell that to my son all the time, how lucky he was to grow up there and reap the benefits of great schools, great friends, and a wonderful family. We are missing alot of what New Jersey has to offer but in the end it is a trade off for a better way of life. I will always refer to New Jersey as my home though! Again, do I miss home? Heck yea! I look back everyday! That is why I am lured to city-data Forum/New Jersey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey